In The News: In Need Of $50,000, Oregon Crusaders Marching Band

Again, I am not a member of Revo staff or management - only a parent. My opinions are my own. But I will function as the apologist for this organization, if necessary. I will try my best, to answer these points, one by one.

1) Obviously, the tour was planned well before all the funding was received. They committed to the tour in the spring, which was well before member fees were finally due. If the management had known they would have faced this type of revenue shortfalls, they may have planned a less ambitious tour. They made the best decision they could, given the information they had at the time.

2) Many members promised to pay, but were not able to do so, due to economic hardship. (Again, many Revo members come from less-than-priviledged backgrounds, in South and Central Texas.) Others eventually did pay, but much later in the tour. If the management had not permitted any of these members on the bus, then it would have adversely affected the product that you see out on the field. It would have also effected their competitiveness as well.

3) Again, many members promised to pay after the start of the tour in June, and collections ran behind. It was only after that point that the corps began public appeals for financial assistance. And again, the corps continues to collect funds from members who are still in arrears.

4) What changes are in the works? I do not know. The focus of the organization is on completing the current tour. Then the organization can focus on next year. Obviously, the corps will be looking to new revenue streams to fund its operations. So if any members of this forum have positive, constructive suggestions to make, please provide them.

I have the answers to the questions, and I am satisfied with the answers. If you are not satisfied with the answers, well, I'm sorry.

Thank you for at least attempting to address my questions. The biggest fault I see in what you described is putting competitive success ahead of financial stability (mentioned in #2). The decision to go on an extensive tour was also questionable given the current economy, and, from the outside, it looks like they made some poor decisions this season that contributed to their current situation.

I also understand your desire to stick up for your team, as I hope you understand my desire to ask "what happened and why?" Hopefully Revo will learn from this and scale back their tour next year and also hold their members more accountable for paying their tuition on time. The threat of "if you don't pay, you don't tour" is usually pretty effective at elliciting those final few dollars, rather than "if you don't pay, come on tour anyway".

Personally, I would respect these groups more if they came out and said "Look, we screwed up big time. We didn't do X, should have done Y, didn't anticipate Z and thought A would turn out like B instead of C, and now we're in trouble financially. At the same time, we've learned from these mistakes and if you help us get through this season, we'll do everything within our power to ensure something like this doesn't happen again." Instead, what I see is excuse after excuse and "it's not the drum corps fault that we're in this situation! The kids didn't pay! This fundraiser was cancelled! How would we have known this would happen in a poor economy?!" That is why I have been so critical of these groups.

There are a lot of factors working against them, but those factors are working against all their competitors as well. Why do the groups that planned poorly deserve our resources over those that planned appropriately and don't need donations to get to Indianapolis? I'd rather give to a group that anticipated what could go wrong along with what could go right and is going to get to Finals without incident. Those are the corps that deserve the money.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has spawned an understandable debate. I thought I might answer the one question that might be on people's minds (although I'm not certain it has been asked in this thread): Why did the corps end up needing to raise so much money to pay for the 2009 season?

1) Our three fundraisers: Charity poker tournaments, personal donations, and our hosted show at the University of Oregon have all brought in far lower amounts than projected, in large part due to the economy. The one that jolted the budget so late in the season was the show. Despite extensive advertising, the 7/2 show brought in tens of thousands less than projected. We run a zero-balance at the end of each year, and it's a big challenge to cut significant costs (especially transportation and food) by July when our July revenue doesn't materialize. Hence the shortfall that generated our urgent appeal for the gala.

2) We have never had any debt. We don't carry a credit card or a credit line. And we had no intent of carrying any debt.

3) We refuse to provide a substandard program. If we are going to hold a rehearsal, if we're going on the road, if we do anything, then we are going to have the level of transportation, nourishment, design and staffing necessary for our members to maximize their potential. We are still pragmatic, believe it or not, but we don't cut corners on the quality of the program.

We are pleased that OC is on the road to Championships, and in a fashion commensurate with the quality of program that we produce. We don't regret making the urgent appeal to our Portland community, and we're thankful that they have helped us complete what we're confident will be a very successful season.

Thanks to all for their supportive comments.

Dr. Phil

The threat of "if you don't pay, you don't tour" is usually pretty effective at elliciting those final few dollars, rather than "if you don't pay, come on tour anyway".

Well, maybe. That may work with some organizations; I don't know if it would work with Revo. Significant numbers of the kids simply would have not been able to pay (at least not at the start.) In that event, those kids would have walked.

People can't always respond to threats. Sometimes they can't comply. Maybe in those circumstances, understanding and compassion are needed - not threats.

Thank you for at least attempting to address my questions. The biggest fault I see in what you described is putting competitive success ahead of financial stability (mentioned in #2). The decision to go on an extensive tour was also questionable given the current economy, and, from the outside, it looks like they made some poor decisions this season that contributed to their current situation.

I also understand your desire to stick up for your team, as I hope you understand my desire to ask "what happened and why?" Hopefully Revo will learn from this and scale back their tour next year and also hold their members more accountable for paying their tuition on time. The threat of "if you don't pay, you don't tour" is usually pretty effective at elliciting those final few dollars, rather than "if you don't pay, come on tour anyway".

Personally, I would respect these groups more if they came out and said "Look, we screwed up big time. We didn't do X, should have done Y, didn't anticipate Z and thought A would turn out like B instead of C, and now we're in trouble financially. At the same time, we've learned from these mistakes and if you help us get through this season, we'll do everything within our power to ensure something like this doesn't happen again." Instead, what I see is excuse after excuse and "it's not the drum corps fault that we're in this situation! The kids didn't pay! This fundraiser was cancelled! How would we have known this would happen in a poor economy?!" That is why I have been so critical of these groups.

There are a lot of factors working against them, but those factors are working against all their competitors as well. Why do the groups that planned poorly deserve our resources over those that planned appropriately and don't need donations to get to Indianapolis? I'd rather give to a group that anticipated what could go wrong along with what could go right and is going to get to Finals without incident. Those are the corps that deserve the money.

inquiring minds want to know.....what is your drumcorps marching and managerial experience?

I would hardly characterize your mind as inquiring. Narrow perhaps but not inquiring.don't give me the walk a mile in thier shoes crap - a lot of really dumb people have been corps directors, does that qualify them tomake smart business decisions for a non profit organization? The answer is no.

H

oooooh another country heard from....whats your experience......my narrow mind is trying to wrap itself around all this.....

oooooh another country heard from....whats your experience......my narrow mind is trying to wrap itself around all this.....

Are you aware that a drum corps is just a business?

Nobody needs to be a corps director to manage finances.

Of course, for the sake of argument, I imagine you'll refuse to acknowledge that fact.

No disrspect but lets call a spade a spade here. Someone has to and should be fiscally responsible. 50k short is a substantial amount of money.

inquiring minds want to know.....what is your drumcorps marching and managerial experience?

OK, mine is 45 years of experience as a marching member, instructor, management member, and volunteer. I showed mine, now you show yours.........

This has been a great discussion and I hope it doesn't dissolve into a ### for tat thing. I hear both sides of the argument.

I would have to side with being fiscally responsible. If you can do that, all good things will flow from that.