In The News: In Need Of $50,000, Oregon Crusaders Marching Band

Fundraising for the Oregon Crusaders marching band has lagged so far behind that the group will not be able to head out on the rest of its summer tour Monday night unless a last-minute fundraiser nets about $50,000. The tour bus will be idling, said Phil Marshall, executive director...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...9&Itemid=39

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange the way they keep saying marching band but I do hope that it went well for OC and that they are on the road right now. Has anyone heard any news yet?

Fundraising for the Oregon Crusaders marching band has lagged so far behind that the group will not be able to head out on the rest of its summer tour Monday night unless a last-minute fundraiser nets about $50,000. The tour bus will be idling, said Phil Marshall, executive director...

... Read the rest of the article here - http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/index.php?o...9&Itemid=39

$50,000! Holy cow. That's a lot of money. At least they have a numerical goal, I suppose...

$50,000! Holy cow. That's a lot of money. At least they have a numerical goal, I suppose...

I think this is when DCI should look into a corps and decide if they should even be allowed to go out on tour.

Too many what if's could go wrong while they are out and hardly have any money to feed kids, gas up buses and anything else that would require a good chunk of money.

I think this is when DCI should look into a corps and decide if they should even be allowed to go out on tour.

Too many what if's could go wrong while they are out and hardly have any money to feed kids, gas up buses and anything else that would require a good chunk of money.

I disagree. In fact, I'm glad the management is taking responsibility for eliminating the shortfall NOW instead of getting the corps out on the road and hoping for the best.

I disagree. In fact, I'm glad the management is taking responsibility for eliminating the shortfall NOW instead of getting the corps out on the road and hoping for the best.

At the same time, shouldn't they have had their financial shortcomings taken care of BEFORE the season?

Or maybe I'm living a delusional world where groups a pay a lot of money to be in have schedules based on their means, rather than one that is conditional with regards to what the community can give out, MID-SEASON.

strange the way they keep saying marching band but I do hope that it went well for OC and that they are on the road right now. Has anyone heard any news yet?

Because a drum corps is a marching band. I'm sorry if this "offends" people, but it's true. All drum corps are marching bands, but all marching bands are not drum corps. To the average viewer they are the same thing, and when you write an article about a group that is in need of money, you're going to want people to know what it is they are supporting.

Because a drum corps is a marching band.

Well - this is wrong, but there already plenty of threads about this in the WC forum. I'm not sure we need to have at it here as well.....

At the same time, shouldn't they have had their financial shortcomings taken care of BEFORE the season?

Or maybe I'm living a delusional world where groups a pay a lot of money to be in have schedules based on their means, rather than one that is conditional with regards to what the community can give out, MID-SEASON.

Like most non-profit organizations, the corps set out a budget for the fiscal year which included an expectation of a certain amount of donations based on past experience and current economic conditions. Unfortunately, those donations were even lower than expected, hence the need for the fundraiser.

You think this is bad? The Strongsville, Ohio, school district is over TWO MILLION DOLLARS short on their budget because of a major lack of property takes getting paid in the city. I don't think a bake sale's going to fix that.

Pointing fingers at others does not lessen the severity of the issue here.

If this drum corps goes on tour the likelihood of it not lasting is very high.

Then again, if this drum corps dos not go on tour the likelihood of it not lasting is also very high.

For management to put the corps into this last minute crisis is poor planning and poor actions.

My feelings are the same for the group in Texas, Revolution.

Revolution will be there. And I hope that the OC makes it as well. Even though we would compete head-to-head against them for a top 12 spot, I hope they make it. (Again, I am a Revo parent, and I speak solely for myself.)

The gap does seem big, however. 50K is the deficit? If they have 70 members, that is roughly an extra $700 per head. That doesn't seem like something that you can just fundraise you way out of.

Did they charge a reasonable amount - enough to cover the trip to Indianapolis? If they originally charged $1000 per head, should they have charged $1700, and had enough in the bank for the trip to Indiana?

Yes, some people would not have been able to pay that amount - but others may have wanted to join, if they were assured that the corps could make it to Finals.