Phantom debacle

I think it's pretty obvious not having a synth (or just not enough synth) is killing them.

Yep, adding a synth would definitely kick up those visual scores.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DEG = Donald E. Getzen

Related to the Getzen of Getzen, but different companies.

Thanks. You learn something new everyday.

BD has been on Dynasty horns since the multi-key rule went into effect in 2000. They have never played on Yamaha horns.

Technically, the Blue Devils did use converted Yamaha flugelhorns in the early 1990s. If I'm not mistaken, these instruments were standard B-flat flugelhorns altered into the key of G for the corps.

However, I believe you're correct in stating that the Blue Devils haven't been outfitted with stock Yamaha winds.

BD has been on Dynasty horns since the multi-key rule went into effect in 2000. They have never played on Yamaha horns.

ding, ding, ding...we have a WINNER!!!!

and to just beat the question...the approved mulit-key rule was proposed by BD director Dave Gibbs.

DEG was just Dynasty Entertainment Group, wasn't it? Same company?

DEG = Donald E. Getzen. He started his own company after Getzen was bought out.

Dynasty was a brand/model name used by DEG for their marching bugles. "Dynasty II" bugles had two piston valves. "Dynasty III" were three-valve horns. When the company ventured into marching percussion, they used the already-familiar Dynasty name.

If I'm not mistaken, BD switched to Dynasty in 2001. Prior to that they drummed on Yamaha so my educated guess would be Yamaha horns as well because most corps that march Dynasty or Yamaha use solely their equipment for everything.

Yamaha can offer brass and percussion package deals nowadays, but that wasn't the case before multi-key brass was allowed. Yamaha never made G bugles. The Blue Devils used Kanstul horns throughout the 90s, and I think I've heard they used DEG mellos at least some years.

OK, since I started this whole commotion, let me clarify. I couldn't care less where the corps places in this discussion, OK? It was not my point. And it was not my point to say, "OMG...the corps isn't riding first place...is it because of the..." There's plenty of that discussion going on elsewhere.

My purpose was strictly to point out, as G Bass said, "The low brass did not fill up the stadium."

I said last year that I had the opportunity to attend Teal's May camp and picked up the bari and euph and tooted a few notes on them. But neither Teal nor Dave are the Phantom brass line, sorry to say. My observations were of one person--sorely out of practice!--playing facing a wall. Not quite a world class, defending champion hornline, ya know?

I liked the tuba sound Teal produced...not sure if that was due to a highly talented section or the instruments. But nothing stood out as far as the baritones and euphs being sub par in quality.

But Phantom's baritone section (euph's, whatever you prefer to call them) does not have the same foundation-rattling presence as in years past, for whatever reason. And if I'm Jupiter, I take note of this BIG TIME. Cuz if PR drops their horns and goes running back to King...well, suffice to say it ain't so good for business by any set of measures.

My whole point was a sound issue...never a placement issue. Sorry to have been lacking in clarity.

This is a stupid thread, imo. The new horns are not the reason for Phantom's big drop in placement. I swear, you people just hate Jupiter that much, don't you? Get a life.

Well, seeing as how I've been the biggest Jupiter apologist on the Planet...and I'm the one who questioned the PR Bari/Euph sound...I think your reply is dumb. Oh...IMHO...forget to add that sometimes.

I likes me some honkin' PR Buick sound, and I didn't get it this year. And none of us has a life...that's why we follow glorified marching bands. :doh::doh::worthy: Be nice.