Phantom debacle

They took top drums last year on Dynasty. No drop there.

It's not the horns, people, pure and simple.

is that logic, like some strange transitive property ?

I doubt its the horns' fault they were in 11th place with Brass Tech (3 way tie for 8th) at S/A, never said it was but I did suggest that their switch has more considerations than just the quality of the instrument prototypes? do you disagree?

I do think their switch of instruments comprised their characteristic sound – I mean that’s a given, right? I don’t have to explain to you how different horns can sound different even in the same hands or do I?

But maybe the prototypes are a bust, been known to happen, happens a lot actually. look at The Bat by Arrow Huss at Kings Island. They had to rip that sucker out even though the second and third generation swing coasters were very successful. (and this is the first time in the thread that I do consider it may be the horns based upon the info it's a new line of product)

why do people think Regiment is young this year? Don’t they have an abundance of audition candidates? I don’t think any of the top drawing corps are ever young unless that is where the real talent is which would migiate the ‘young’

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won high brass on Yamaha, so I guess so? I really don't really have much opinion on the whole brass brand wars other than at the end of the day it is the players and not the horns that get results.

Without entering the Phantom fray, I will respectfully disagree with you on the subject of brass instruments. They can make a HUGE difference, in my sometimes not humble enough opinion.

Edited by rayfallon

Without entering the Phantom fray, I will respectfully disagree with you on the subject of brass instruments. They can make a HUGE difference, in my sometimes not humble enough opinion.

It's also a matter of personal preference. But for the most part I agree. There's a reason most of the best musicians (per each instrument) play on the same brand. And it doesn't even stop with the brand of horn. It goes to mouthpieces, attachments, and so on. This is from a trombonist point of view though.

It's also a matter of personal preference. But for the most part I agree. There's a reason most of the best musicians (per each instrument) play on the same brand. And it doesn't even stop with the brand of horn. It goes to mouthpieces, attachments, and so on. This is from a trombonist point of view though.

Well if you become overwhelmed by the notion to sell your Shires and buy a Jupiter, give me a call. I might make a fair offer for the Shires.

Plus I have some land in Florida, a bridge in Brooklyn, and some Oceanfront property in Utah you might be interested in.

Well if you become overwhelmed by the notion to sell your Shires and buy a Jupiter, give me a call. I might make a fair offer for the Shires.

Plus I have some land in Florida, a bridge in Brooklyn, and some Oceanfront property in Utah you might be interested in.

You mean sell my Shires and buy an Edwards right? :tongue:

While it's clearly more than just their choice of horns (and drum equipment), I agree that, for good or bad, changing to Jupiter HAD to change their sound. BITD you could tell a Getzen horn line from an Olds Ultrotone one, and I well remember the change in our hornline when we went from a mixed set of horns to a matching set of Olds.

Again, the corps with the most high brass trophies in DCI plays Dynasty, the horns that are generally considered to be one of the worst if not THE worst.

There's a reason most of the best musicians (per each instrument) play on the same brand.

That's just not true though.

Even as a generalized statement, that's far from the truth.

You mean sell my Shires and buy an Edwards right? :tongue:

Sell me the Shires cheap, and I don't care if you get Donald E Getzen to make you one.

Again, the corps with the most high brass trophies in DCI plays Dynasty, the horns that are generally considered to be one of the worst if not THE worst.

I hear you. I did say they CAN make a huge difference.

There are few if any absolutes.

I've always agreed with what you're saying about those horns too. I have a feeling BD could get it done on conch shells.

With Rudy Muck mouthpieces.

Db conch shells too...