Phantom debacle

OK OP, it looks like it didn't work. Please call us at the office.....crap!

KING MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

(you know the number!)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's obvious to me that DCP is smarter than both JD Shaw and Pat Sheridan.

The corps is finishing 5th in music overall, and I suspect that if they were in a higher grouping of corps that they would be somewhere near the top there. The problem with the show is mainly Visual and Visual GE, doesn't have a lot to do with horns IMO.

unless the new horns look terrible with dents and mold growing on them they shouldn't affect the visual score.

BD plays on Dynasty horns and have won way more brass trophies than anyone else.

It isn't the horns it is the players.

Let me guess, your a fan of Yamaha? haha

I agree with others. It is not the instruments.

Look at what the Cadets played on in the 80s. Check out the videos (online "someplace") of Garfield 1987. Those instruments should have hurt music and visual. What pieces of junk, yet the Cadets made them sound fantastic.

These Jupiter horns are pretty good. The deal to use them was likely a wise decision by Phantom. They may be getting them for free. Who knows! Jupiter may want Phantom to demo the horns and then will make money when hundreds of programs start to use their line (if this happens). And I figure over time this will happen. So Phantom becomes the lead marketer, and they save big bucks and still play good horns.

Judging from what I heard at San Antonio, I like them. Their brass sounds great, and I must say they have one of the most demanding horn books on the field. If it is not the most demanding, it is certainly up there with Cadets and Crown and BD.

The main thing to consider here is this: show ideas and construction.

When ideas (the planning stage) and construction (the process of building) do not pan out, the show, no matter how good the performers, will not sell and score to its fullest. It's not the end of the world, and it's just a competition. It's not life and death. For whatever reasons, Phantom's show just didn't pan out. The members are great, but the design is flawed.

Most designs in drum corps are flawed to a certain extent, and it's just a matter of edits, tweaks, re-writes, and cleaning. I say this because, regardless of what people think, when you design for field, you are talking about taking music that needs to be arranged (even shortened) to fit a set time, and taking ideas that need to be staged outdoors on a field much larger than an indoor stage. The elements are not perfect, so writing for those elements and variables can be tricky. Even the best design teams make mistakes, choose difficult themes and approaches that sometimes just don't pan out. We on DCP sit around and play arm-chair general and talk in terms of what we would like to see and what we would do. The only problem is this: we are not doing it, they are!

I only say that because this whole process REALLY IS HARD. Our understanding is needed, and we have to remove ourselves from the stubborn nature in us that says "darn it, I am a Phantom Phan and they should always be good and score high and be top 3, and, and, and..." Although I am exaggerating, there are those that think this way. We all want some new faces in the top 5, but when they come at the expense of our favorite corps...well, now someone is going to pay. "New faces are good as long as they don't beat 'MY' corps." But guess what? The law of creation and competition is catching up to a number of traditional powers, and this year it's Phantom. They could pull into 7th, but that might be the highest they can get at this point.

Edited by jwillis35

Maybe they should get a synthesizer to fill out the lacking middle /low brass?

I doubt they’ll be getting away from these horns anytime soon, they’ll need all the free stuff they can get because a 9th place corps doesn’t get paid like a 1st place corps

In the past 2 years they sold out their musical identify and sound by changing all their instrument sponsors – a drop was bound to happen

I know they're down a few spots, but I'm not sure being ranked in the top 6-7 equals a "debacle". A lot of corps would like to be where Phantom is.....

Maybe they should get a synthesizer to fill out the lacking middle /low brass?

I doubt they’ll be getting away from these horns anytime soon, they’ll need all the free stuff they can get because a 9th place corps doesn’t get paid like a 1st place corps

In the past 2 years they sold out their musical identify and sound by changing all their instrument sponsors – a drop was bound to happen

Dude you're so right.

You should call JD Shaw and tell him that he doesn't know what he's doing.

I mean, he only has a masters in performance from Eastman.

He obviously knows nothing about brass.

GOOD THOUGHT!

Hadnt even considered that fact!

For the rest of the season (unless a miracle happens!) Phantom will be on the field BEFORE several of the corps who are scoring above them.

As posted above, and I agree, Phantom might have the best percussion of the competition, but they will be judged just a bit lower IN CASE one of the higher scoring corps do perform better......so true.

BUT it doesnt change the Visual scores.

And.....I will agree that every show I have attended that Phantom has performed in, has had major visual changes - not tweeks or adjustments, but major changes.

Perhaps they havent found a visual that they are happy with either!

....better find it soon!

Doesnt all the visual changes also have an effect on how the brass and percussion is placed on the field?

Placement then effects sound.....which we have questioned when it comes to Phantoms great bass sound in previous years.

I have to single out that comment about the percussion scores. Think about that for a moment. Let's say for a second that the judges do deliberately score Phantom lower in percussion because there are others coming after them. Well, the bottom line is that the judge doesn't have to give a higher score to the corps that perform after them just because they went after Phantom.

The judge awards the score higher if the corps plays better. Phantom wouldn't have gotten a 5th place in Music Ensemble, 4th in percussion or 7th in Brass if that weren't the case, because each of those placements mean they finished ahead of someone who played after them (Phantom performed in the 8th spot).

Edited by pags

I have a great deal of respect for JD Shaw and I never implied that he didn’t know what he was doing but my guess was these recent deals with Dynasty and Jupiter had a lot more to do with the entire sponsorship package than just the actual instrument performance.

Heck, I like Fender guitars but I’d switch to Gibson if someone paid me to, that’d be a smart business decision. But all things equal, no endorsement deals, same price structure…I’d be on Fender hands down and that would be a musical decision

decisions, decisions, decisions