Mixed Hornlines

Mix up the mess?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like mixed hornlines?

• I like just Bb Horns
    • I like just G Bugles
    • I like a mix of Bb and G
    • Umm, is mylar a choice?

What do you think about the use of both Bb and G horns in the hornline?

Blast! uses G bugles in their program, and several corps had a mix (BD in the early 00s) before the complete switchover.

Personally, I feel that you get the raw power and intonation from Gs and the more tempered tone of the Bb. I'm surprised more corps haven't used a mix. It is clear that some programs can use it well.

Discuss. :tongue:

Glad you posted this question. I've been thinking of getting a mini corps up and running for next season and have been contemplating what key the brass line should be in. A friend has enough (DEG II bugles) sopranos, mellophones and contras (piston/rotor) but no baris or euphos. I have some Yamaha (march tuba, eupho, bari, mello) brass and prob could borrow enough to complete a line but trumpets would have to provide their own equipment. Would need to pick up an other tuba though. Also thought about allowing members to pick their own 'poison'. BBb, B, F, G...doesn't matter as long as you play it well.

any thoughts???

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think a mix of Bb and G would be a good idea. One of the main goals of having a good hornline is blending together, having one sound. Putting Bb horns and G bugles on the same field would be like trying to mix water with oil. Bb horns have all (or most) of the volume of the bugles, but the quality, tone, intonation, etc are so much better!

My opinion: Bb, or be flat!! :tongue: ........ :tongue:

My DB meter tells a different story...especially the further you move away from the source.

Even better with Bb's in my opinion. The more in tune you are, the louder the line will sound because of the overtones.

Actually the G bugle by design has more overtones.

True story: whenever I go to my first show of the summer, I always realize that I've been listening to the corps shows in my car LOUDER than they actually are live.

Seriously.

Edited by Hrothgar15

True story: whenever I go to my first show of the summer, I always realize that I've been listening to the corps shows in my car LOUDER than they actually are live.

Seriously.

Didn't used to be that way. You know, what I find amazing is everyone raves how dark the sound is today...well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see they are marching 16-18 tubas and the upper brass is buried causing a very weak and unbalanced sound.

Cadets went to Bb in 2000, BD, Cavies and some others switched in 2001.

In terms of intonation, G bugles are not better. They were originally designed to be valve-less instruments. When they started putting rotors, and then valves on, the intonation was poor because the instruments were not designed for anything but the open harmonic series.

Bb horns have great intonation because they are designed to be that way. I can guarantee that if you hold a tuner up to a Bb and then a G much more of the Bb's notes will be in tune.

Many people try to argue that G's are darker and louder than Bb's. That was true back in the early 00's because the Bb marching line was not fully developed yet, and the tubas were very small convertible horns. Now that the Bb horns have been improved the sound is indeed darker, and louder.

Who told you all of this? G Bugles were definately darker yet edgier than Bb horns of today.

Seriously.

I can listen to my TV louder than the actors in the movie were talking live. ...Is this seriously your argument?

The switch wasn't only for the acoustic differences in the horn. The same financial issues of stocking a hornline with all G bugles would apply to stocking a hornline with half G bugles.

I think there were a couple years when Colts marched a Bb line except for G contras, but I can't remember exactly the year. (I have a former roommate who is a DCI encyclopedia and told me this)

I can listen to my TV louder than the actors in the movie were talking live. ...Is this seriously your argument?

The switch wasn't only for the acoustic differences in the horn. The same financial issues of stocking a hornline with all G bugles would apply to stocking a hornline with half G bugles.

What? That they're cheaper than regular instruments? Or that you can not resale G bugles as easily as Bb? I mean that surely helps the top 5 corps, but I don't think it helps the lower placing and poorer corps who probably keep their horns for a while.

Glad you posted this question. I've been thinking of getting a mini corps up and running for next season and have been contemplating what key the brass line should be in. A friend has enough (DEG II bugles) sopranos, mellophones and contras (piston/rotor) but no baris or euphos. I have some Yamaha (march tuba, eupho, bari, mello) brass and prob could borrow enough to complete a line but trumpets would have to provide their own equipment. Would need to pick up an other tuba though. Also thought about allowing members to pick their own 'poison'. BBb, B, F, G...doesn't matter as long as you play it well.

any thoughts???

At Echoes of New Orleans, we have had a mix of G horns (mostly 2 valve) with a couple of Bb's (A bari, one frenchie and a Euph) in the low section. We own plenty of G bugles, but do not discourage members from playing their own horns if they have them. We haven't tried mixing trumpets and sops, and have no plan to do so, but for the baris and euphs they blend just fine.

The only time consuming part was entering our old scores into Finale for the ease of transposition, but once done it is a simple matter to provide a part however the player needs it (G, Bb treble, bass clef).