Mix up the mess?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like mixed hornlines?

• I like just Bb Horns
    • I like just G Bugles
    • I like a mix of Bb and G
    • Umm, is mylar a choice?

I don't think it is.

I can remember seeing Glassmen 1999 in a small stadium, and they were much louder than I would ever play my car stereo.

Thanks for proving my point. They were on Gs.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BD switched to Bb in 2000 and never marched a mixed key line. We used Kanstul marching Bb tubas in 2000 because Dynasty only had little peashooter tubas at the time.

Edited by Joe

But us drummers NEVER go there...at least I don't.

I like said thread here...

Hell, I'm a brass guy and I never go there.

During my years of marching I marched in a G line and a Bb line. Personally nothing sounds better than a G hornline in tune with itself listening to all the overtones just sing above the chords. I think now a days it is easier for the performers to jump right from the classroom or field right into drum corps. Really it makes it easier playing wise (which is why I hate b-flat horns). The challenge of being in drum corps was to learn how to wrangle that G-bugle and make it sing with the other members of the hornline. If you really listen to those old tapes or cds.....or even records, you can hear the difference. The G-lines are much more powerful, full, and rich sounding because they are all in the key of G. Different octaves all in the same key are much more pleasant to listen to. You throw in a F mello in with a B-flat line, and it just takes something away. Now dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the shows of today, but what I wouldnt give to hear an open or world class corps play on all G-bugles today.

What do you think about the use of both Bb and G horns in the hornline?

Blast! uses G bugles in their program, and several corps had a mix (BD in the early 00s) before the complete switchover.

Personally, I feel that you get the raw power and intonation from Gs and the more tempered tone of the Bb. I'm surprised more corps haven't used a mix. It is clear that some programs can use it well.

Discuss. :tongue:

Blast doesn't use G bugles. The only time I think both Bb and G's were actually used in a real performance was with Star '94 in the first Brass Theater production. My memory is a little foggy but I think during Appian Way, Jimmer had the 2nd and 3rd sops play on cornets for a darker sound on the low end. It was either that, or he had the lead sops playing trumpets...geez, my memory is really starting to go.

Mixing Bb and G horns in a brass line would be disastrous.

Check Westshoremen Alumni on "that" website..... Gs and Bbs are mixed within the voices as members bring their own horns. Might not be to your taste but certainly not a disaster.

Of course when you have 60+ horns on a stage indoors, you're more worried about your ears bleeding than anything else. :tongue::tongue:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I think it'd be cool to give a Sop soloist a G bugle so they could have more volume.

Check Westshoremen Alumni on "that" website..... Gs and Bbs are mixed within the voices as members bring their own horns. Might not be to your taste but certainly not a disaster.

Of course when you have 60+ horns on a stage indoors, you're more worried about your ears bleeding than anything else. :devil::thumbup:

"Mixmaster's":

Although technically not a "Drum & Bugle Corps" the "Swing House" brass ensamble, taught by Larry Kerchner has a pretty wild mix of "G" & "Bb" brass instruments. I thought I even saw a trombone in the mix, as well as concert tubas and trumpets. Most all of the participants (I believe) are drum corps people from several Mid Atlantic drum corps.

Elphaba