Switch to 3 valve bugles

I'm wondering specifically which year each corps switched from 2 valve to 3 valve bugles.

I saw a note burried deep in a post that Star of Indiana played the 1993 Medea show on 2 valve bugles, and I was pretty sure they had already switched to 3 valve. I'm curious about the other corps as well, mostly out of curiosity, especially when listening to the CDs. My only frame of reference for the timing is a Spirit camp in 92 on 3 valves.

DCI allowed 3-valve G bugles starting in 1990. Star, however, had a beautiful set of 2-valve King bugles and there was no way they were going to make the switch. Believe me, Star could have financed a feeder corps just on the sale of the contras alone, that's how good they were.

Glassmen had a set of 3-valve alto horns when I started marching in 1992. The sopranos went to 3-valve in 1994. Baritones began switching to 3-valve in 1995 and completed the switch in 1996. Mellos got a new set of horns in '96 because the old ones consistently played flat, no matter who played them or what alternate fingerings they used. We also had King 2-valve contras and, as far as I know, the corps kept them right up until they switched to multi-key in 2002.

DCI allowed 3-valve G bugles starting in 1990. Star, however, had a beautiful set of 2-valve King bugles and there was no way they were going to make the switch. Believe me, Star could have financed a feeder corps just on the sale of the contras alone, that's how good they were.

Glassmen had a set of 3-valve alto horns when I started marching in 1992. The sopranos went to 3-valve in 1994. Baritones began switching to 3-valve in 1995 and completed the switch in 1996. Mellos got a new set of horns in '96 because the old ones consistently played flat, no matter who played them or what alternate fingerings they used. We also had King 2-valve contras and, as far as I know, the corps kept them right up until they switched to multi-key in 2002.

Yes, Glassmen played those awesome King 2-Valve Contras all the way up to 2002. Never heard a better contra sound out of anything else.

Someone needs to start a junior corps circuit that only allows for G bugles.

... or just join the Kilties (all age - we have a ton of HS and college members now). Our Kanstul G Powerbore sops are 2 years old; Kanstul G mellos are one year old, and our Kandstul Baritone Grandes are new this year. The sound is tremendous this year.

This is what I remember from the videos and my own personal experience:

In 1990 BD used 3 valve sopranos, which I think were the Kanstul prototypes. SCV had 3 valve Dynasty baritones that year too. I'm not 100% sure about the euphs, but I think they were 3 valve as well.

SCV started using the 3 valve mellophones in 1991. I'm guessing they were Dynasty, since the baritones were still Dynasty. In 1992 it looked like they purchased a full Kanstul line. BD may have gone full Kanstul as well in 1992. I remember seeing 3 valve Kanstul euphoniums in their closer.

Crown had 3 valve Kanstul high brass in 1994. (Maybe 1993) The low brass was mixed 2 and 3 valve Dynastys at the time. They purchased Yamaha tubas with the G extension in 1996, but only had a partial delivery of them by the end of the season. The corps didn't go full 3 valve until 1997. At that time it was: Kanstul high brass, Dynasty baritones and euphoniums, and Yamaha tubas with the G tuning slide extension.

This is what I remember from the videos and my own personal experience:

In 1990 BD used 3 valve sopranos, which I think were the Kanstul prototypes. SCV had 3 valve Dynasty baritones that year too. I'm not 100% sure about the euphs, but I think they were 3 valve as well.

SCV started using the 3 valve mellophones in 1991. I'm guessing they were Dynasty, since the baritones were still Dynasty. In 1992 it looked like they purchased a full Kanstul line. BD may have gone full Kanstul as well in 1992. I remember seeing 3 valve Kanstul euphoniums in their closer.

Crown had 3 valve Kanstul high brass in 1994. (Maybe 1993) The low brass was mixed 2 and 3 valve Dynastys at the time. They purchased Yamaha tubas with the G extension in 1996, but only had a partial delivery of them by the end of the season. The corps didn't go full 3 valve until 1997. At that time it was: Kanstul high brass, Dynasty baritones and euphoniums, and Yamaha tubas with the G tuning slide extension.

There was a phase-in period (sops first) to 3-valve, with the intent that nobody would bankrupt themselves and buy a whole new set of 3-valve horns in one pop.

Of course, now, corps do that anyway.

the rule was that starting in 1990 you could replace 1 section each year with three valve bugles, but you could also add the contras any year in conjunction with another section. So if you replaced a section each year and your contras during one of those years you could have switched over to 3 valves by 1992 completely.

Also, the contras were allowed to be either 3 or 4 valve.

I know the bluecoats switched their contras in 1990 and went to 4 valve magnum bore horns. I believe they switched out the lead baritones in 1990 too if I remember correctly.

not sure when they switched the rest of the line.

Edited by bluecoats88

the rule was that starting in 1990 you could replace 1 section each year with three valve bugles, but you could also add the contras any year in conjunction with another section. So if you replaced a section each year and your contras during one of those years you could have switched over to 3 valves by 1992 completely.

Also, the contras were allowed to be either 3 or 4 valve.

I know the bluecoats switched their contras in 1990 and went to 4 valve magnum bore horns. I believe they switched out the lead baritones in 1990 too if I remember correctly.

not sure when they switched the rest of the line.

Mellos went to 3 valve Kanstuls in 92. I think sops switched in 93, but I'm not positive.