Jersey Surf's 2nd Tour

I think they'll be back in the mix with PC and Mandarins

The Regional Touring is a good idea, do you really think they should have taken on 30+ shows the first year in World Class?

And to the ones comparing Arizona's short schedule from the past couple of seasons, you can't even come close. I think if I remember it right, the thought was Arizona would make finals on a short schedule and people felt that was not "fair". Surf is no where close to making finals on a short schedule, they will probably be done on Thursday afternoon after the quarter finals.

Edited by CT-Horn

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's probably just a little to early to think they will be in the Friday night show considering how this season has been going.

Edited by Zeke

I totally get Jersey Surf's desire to be a limited touring World Class corps. It's not about "fairness" at all.

There's no money (and not enough shows) in being an Open Class corps any more. Surf wants to survive, offer their kids a great drum corps season and live within their means. Totally makes sense. More power to them - Go Surf!

Gareth :thumbup:

I tend to think that people assume that the corps is practicing while off tour. That is not the case. They only practice on the weekends and M-F is time off

They are at a substantial disadvantage in terms of practice time and performance opportunities when compared to the other corps.

IMO, I do feel that they are going to reach semi finals. Their hornline is powerful and drumline is solid. I see them right at 16 or 17. Although to do this it means they have to beat some mighty fine drum corps.

We will have an idea at Murfreesboro as they compete against PC, Spirit, Troopers, and Colts.

Stay tuned!

See post directly above. Couldn't have made it more clear myself.

Edited by bersurkman

Go Surf! The limited tour model is Surf's strong point. It allows them to have members and staff in the corps that cannot or will not do the three month on the road thing. Congrats Bob Jacobs for following his vision.

I totally get Jersey Surf's desire to be a limited touring World Class corps. It's not about "fairness" at all.

There's no money (and not enough shows) in being an Open Class corps any more. Surf wants to survive, offer their kids a great drum corps season and live within their means. Totally makes sense. More power to them - Go Surf!

Gareth :thumbup:

Right on Gareth! If more corps adopted this philosophy, we would possibly have more corps making the leap the World Class, providing more competition in the lower tier and building up experience to eventually become a full touring corps. Not everyone has budgets to compete with the top 10. I would like to see all corps compete in at least one regional though, so we can see where they rank, at least once during the season. Having been on the Div II scene, I know most of these kids would probably love to be able to do a full tour, but are thankful to be able to compete with the World Class corps.

Musicman1084 is right on IMO. Without quoting his long response it is exactly as I have been stating since I have listened to this crud...people just need to stop whining about their corps losing to the Surfs of the world, why don't those corps do something about it if you're losing to them.

I agree that a full tour is more beneficial to a corps and hence corps like Surf are at a disadvantage not to mention, DCI prefers that you do a full tour, as a few DCI people have stated, if one was to do a full tour their scores would be higher, how you tour should not be reflective in your scores ie. you'll be scored lower, but it happens.

ANYWAY

I think Surf will be in the mix for 18th as well with Pacific Crest & Mandarins, I can't see them challenging for much more than maybe 17th but right now, 18th. Now I have never seen Surf live but based on my deductive reasoning i'll side with the bottom tier.

I love how some people are up in arms about what Surf is doing (and what Academy and PC did) because, God forbid, it doesn't involve lack of sleep or shoddy cooking or coming down with a disease or something like that... God forbid we try to do things to keep the corps healthy. :thumbup:

Obviously that's not the only reason some people say that but it's a reason I've seen multiple times and I think it's stupid. Corps health should be top priority. Work smarter.

I guess that's why some people say it's not fair to full touring corps. Seems Jersey wants to have the best of both worlds. Surf gets to go home and sleep in their own beds, eat mom's home cooking and stay healthy (not be subjected to the 'Carolina Cold' type of sicknesses). All they do is show up wherever they want to, fully rested and rehearsed. Just doesn't seem 'fair' that the rest of the corps are enduring a grueling full blown 6-8 week tour - not to mention bearing a much bigger expense as well.

To me, I would say that having no intention to change their schedule anytime soon is fine - just don't expect to be able to compete in World Class, or even Open Class for that matter. They could perform when and where they want - in exhibition.

The way I understand it, the corps does not practice anywhere near as much as a "full tour" corps. The director stated that the main intent of the corps was to allow members to take part in a corps without sacrificing part time jobs or summer classes. Some kids just don't have the ability to commit a full summer to a corps. I watched their last rehearsal before they left for TN. It was obvious that they could have used more rehearsal time. They are taking a great risk moving up into World Class. I also understand that the cost is nearly the same as a full tour corps (I could be wrong about that).

In my opinion, the director and staff should be commended for taking on the challenge of starting this corps and taking it to the level it is now. Many people have sacrificed alot to make this happen.

And, no, I do not know anyone who has ever marched in this corps nor do I know the director or any of the staff.

By the way, this year's show is Mozart - some very familiar, some not. There are some pretty good arrangements and the show design is pretty good and somewhat challenging.