Fan Network on a Mac?

I use FN on a MacBook Pro. It works for me fine. When there's a live broadcast it works when I use Safari, but I usually have trouble with Firefox.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mac here

google 'flip4mac' get it. after that everything should be fine.

on demand runs through the browser.

I have to download that this year to watch Fan Network on my Mac and now everything if find.

Yes, everyone is giving you the right advice.

Just some insight here:

"flip4mac" is a plugin that you download from the Microsoft web site. Type "flip4mac" into Google and you will find several places to download the software. It is free.

Once downloaded, you install the program and that should do it. It acts as a plugin with Quicktime (not Windows Media Player).

Microsoft stopped making WMP for Macintosh a while back, partly because Apple already makes Quicktime (which is vastly superior technology), and Quicktime was so vital as an underpinning to many of the Macintosh's media programs (Logic, Final Cut, Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, etc.). But in the wacky world of the web, not all technologies are open, and WMP is not as open to the protocol of the Mac OS, so Flip4Mac bridges the gap.

Also, and others have pointed this out, it is best to use Safari, especially versions 3 or 4. Version 4 is getting amazing reviews and is very fast and stable. Firefox will try to load the Fan Network within it's own browser instead of calling on Quicktime, so it doesn't work very well. There may be a way to fix that in Firefox, but I haven't found it. Perhaps someone nows how to set that up. Is it in the preferences for plugins?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Yes, everyone is giving you the right advice.

Just some insight here:

"flip4mac" is a plugin that you download from the Microsoft web site. Type "flip4mac" into Google and you will find several places to download the software. It is free.

Once downloaded, you install the program and that should do it. It acts as a plugin with Quicktime (not Windows Media Player).

Microsoft stopped making WMP for Macintosh a while back, partly because Apple already makes Quicktime (which is vastly superior technology), and Quicktime was so vital as an underpinning to many of the Macintosh's media programs (Logic, Final Cut, Garage Band, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, etc.). But in the wacky world of the web, not all technologies are open, and WMP is not as open to the protocol of the Mac OS, so Flip4Mac bridges the gap.

Also, and others have pointed this out, it is best to use Safari, especially versions 3 or 4. Version 4 is getting amazing reviews and is very fast and stable. Firefox will try to load the Fan Network within it's own browser instead of calling on Quicktime, so it doesn't work very well. There may be a way to fix that in Firefox, but I haven't found it. Perhaps someone nows how to set that up. Is it in the preferences for plugins?

Anyway, hope this helps.

Opinions

flip4mac.

Also, Quicktime IS vastly superior to WMP...its just fact.

Just get flip4mac - works fine for me for the last couple of years. This year even faster and easier.

I love my Macs and would never go back to Windoze. FN works as it should on my Mac, but you gotta get FLIP4MAC to make it work with Quicktime. When I watch live events I go to the FLIP4MAC preferences pane and check to open video in new window. This gives me opportunity to make it full screen. Overall, my fullscreen looks a bit pixelated, but I assume that is the quality of the feed.