Ya know guys, what do rankings matter?

Can I just say I've never seen such a large group of people opposed to competition anywhere else. I don't mean that to be mean but what happened to that scrapping attitude we all had when we were kids where we wanted everything to be a contest? Yet now in DCI a large number of you act as though scores somehow hurt the feelings of some of the members? What gives?
\

It all started years ago in T-ball and other little league type sports where they stopped keeping score and worried more about kids not feeling left out or hurt if they didn't get a hit or struck out. Touchy-feely type of stuff. I don't want to get Off Topic but why don't we just stop keeping scores all together and then we can REALLY argue about which corps is better or not! Sheeessh.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a COMPETITIVE ACTIVITY...rankings matter. Otherwise, just do exhibitions and look for the missing people in the stands. You'll get the point then i think.

Look, people who march corps know what they're getting into. They PAY for that. They want to be competitive on one way or another. If they don't want that, they don't join.

Drum corps a very good place to learn how to take criticism (both constructive and not) and not let it get the best of you. Better now than later. It teaches people to fight for something they believe in by constantly improving their own performance. It develops very grown up skills in what is usually a very self-centered, me-me-me, instant-gratification world.

And yes, rankings are part of it, but honestly I don't see some massive load of "they suck" posts. I don't know what set you off, particularly, but I think most of us have developed a thick skin and can ignore the stupid stuff. Some of us learned that in drum corps, some of us learned it in other ways.

Anyway, rankings partly matter. So does dedication to your craft under extreme pressure and criticism. It's all good.

Look, people who march corps know what they're getting into. They PAY for that. They want to be competitive on one way or another. If they don't want that, they don't join.

Drum corps a very good place to learn how to take criticism (both constructive and not) and not let it get the best of you. Better now than later. It teaches people to fight for something they believe in by constantly improving their own performance. It develops very grown up skills in what is usually a very self-centered, me-me-me, instant-gratification world.

And yes, rankings are part of it, but honestly I don't see some massive load of "they suck" posts. I don't know what set you off, particularly, but I think most of us have developed a thick skin and can ignore the stupid stuff. Some of us learned that in drum corps, some of us learned it in other ways.

Anyway, rankings partly matter. So does dedication to your craft under extreme pressure and criticism. It's all good.

Well said Terri. And as long as the rankings are unbiased and legitimate then they really matter. Can you imagine pro-sports or college without rankings? What's the point? And isn't drum corps supposed to be a "musical sport" as some would say?

Kemo

Can I just say I've never seen such a large group of people opposed to competition anywhere else. I don't mean that to be mean but what happened to that scrapping attitude we all had when we were kids where we wanted everything to be a contest? Yet now in DCI a large number of you act as though scores somehow hurt the feelings of some of the members? What gives?

It's called liberalism....It is permeating our society and ruining our competitive edge throughout. Everyone has to not only be equal, but get equal rewards. I know this is political, but you asked and that is my opinion. It is no longer ok to be better at something or aquire more than anyone else.

I understand ALL of your opinions, and what you think about the situation.

Nowhere did I say anything was wrong with DCP, it's not the website people, it's the fact that you have people who have nothing but Negative stuff to say, and that just isn't right. I really couldn't think of another word than "sucking", but whether it's directed towards the instructors, or whoever, the fact of the matter is, the last thing these kids need to hear is something negative about their show, performace, etc (when they already have Instructors/Staff to tell them what to work on). I have no problem with DCP, and I guess there's really nothing I can do to fix all the negativity on here, this is Human Society, people will be negative, ALL the time.

And for whoever said something like, what's this post got to do with your topic? It has everything to do with it, if you'd actually read it and pay attention. I'll say it again, in my books EVERY corp is a winner, of course they'd love to come home with a World Championship, but in the end, no matter what ANYbody says, they are most happy when they can look up and see that they've successfully entertained a crowd, and enjoyed the experience while doing it. That's all I'm trying to say. That can be related to SO many things, can be related to even life, but thats an even longer story, that I won't get into.

Again, I must say, I understand everyone's opinions, and they do matter.....so feel free to say whatever you want.

It's competition that drives excellence and achievement. Because DCI is marching music's major league (their own slogan) , strengths and weaknesses of the various corps (products) are going to be discussed, not only on DCP, but in the stands, on readily available recaps, and in critique. It's no different than a sports critic or movie critic pointing out areas that a team or movie is weak. Making the children (young adults) feel all warm and fuzzy after a crappy run isn't being truthful. If a show has flaws, it has flaws. It is what it is! IMO, you're mistaking honest, qualitative discussion about design and performance, for negativity. I would much rather have honesty, then flowery falsehoods.

Every now and again, someone rides in on their moral high horse and begins to bash everyone on DCP for being so hard on the kids and not understanding the purpose of drum corps.

I say, take it up with DCI then. They're the ones who score shows.

This long, public rebuke of everyone on DCP was one of your first posts ever and rather scathing for someone who has not engaged in any discussions prior to this. I just thought you should know that everyone here on DCP is here because they want to be here. We don't get paid to express our opinions and for most of us we don't seek fame.

If you spend time on Drum Corp Planet at all you will the majority of people work hard to argue a point with a spirit of kindness but directness. You will find adulation and praise for what the corps are doing. And...you will find flamers and baiters get called out rather quickly.

The reality is that DCI has put a product on the field and by scoring each and every show they are calling for people to engage in the "sport" of it. Hence the popularity of DCP. So much so that I'm sure you will be monitoring your post because there's a level of excitement to see if what you said is accepted well or not. As for me, I don't accept it.

Long live DCP!

Quoted for TRUTH!

Further, opining what a STAFF should or could do with a show to make it better (take this out, put this in), that's to the STAFF. I rarely see posts such as: Cadets toes sux0rz, they shouldn't be allowed on the field. <------- that's called FLAME BAIT my friend. 99.5% of the posts on DCP are 1 of 4 things: Comments to STAFF on design, pointless drivel to fill time during show threads, heady analysis of what's actually being produced on the field, PRAISE FOR THE PERFORMERS!

As Mr. London said quite effectively, your post has nothing to do with the tread title. Ignore the flamers and baiters ...... take the time to actually form your own opinion with regards to ANOTHER PERSONS OPINION by actually doing the research and then argue their point with your own. It's called good debate. Enjoy DCP :tongue:

... I'm beginning to wonder if people on here actually either: .......................

1. Actually know what they're talking about

2. Don't care about other people's feelings.

3. Understand the purpose of Drum Corp

So enough of the bullcrap about who sucks and who don't! Because folks, THIS is Drum Corp, this is Marching Music's MAJOR LEAGUE, therefore NO-ONE SUCKS!

1. I believe I know what I'm talking about when it comes to liking or disliking something that I think is good or not good.

2. Honesty is a hard pill to swallow for some people, so if I, or anyone else, writes that our opinion is that something sucks, well, that's our honest opinion. Personally, I try to never intentionally hurt someone's feelings, but if it happens because they are sensitive...I don't care.

3. The purpose of drum corps is multi-faceted. One purpose is to entertain. If I am not entertained by something, a corps has failed to fulfill that aspect. Another purpose is competition. Healthy competition teaching winning and losing with grace and humility. It teaches us to work as hard as we can, and to be part of a team that is striving for a stated goal. The purpose is not to make everything vanilla and tell those young adults that everything they do is sooooo nice and sunny and rosy.

Sometimes people puts clunkers are stink bombs on the field. Same with movies actors...should we not review a movie unless we have only positive things to say? If a restaurant serves bland tasteless food, should we recommend it to out friends just so the restaurant can stay in business? Welcome to reality!

The best way for people's feelings to stay unhurt is for them to un-bookmark this site and stay the heck off it. This is a forum for people to talk about the activity, not to spew happy thoughts without exception.

Some employers ban access to Facebook, maybe the sensitive people should enact a self-imposed ban on DCP.

I respect your opinion, I just disagree.

I have a question.

Why does everybody talk about the people who march in junior corps like they are kids? Most are college students right? Aren't college students adults?