STUPID RING QUESTION

How many people who have DCI rings actually wear them around in their daily lives? I'd guess very few overall...but I could be wrong?

Actually, jackets, too...you see them around drum corps events, but not much else...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people who have DCI rings actually wear them around in their daily lives? I'd guess very few overall...but I could be wrong?

Actually, jackets, too...you see them around drum corps events, but not much else...

I wear my jacket every now and then when it's cold... (I live in GA so not now obviously.) and I never wear my ring. I tried it for a day and I felt like an egotistical b********

I wore my jacket everywhere until it didn't fit me anymore. Now I'm in between corps and don't have a choice for a new jacket. Never could afford the ring. With the Skyliners, 5 year members got a ring and 10 year members got a diamond in their ring. Obviously a bit different in DCI since you can age out. I'm rambling...

Hmmmm...funny this thread popped up. Today, I decided to take out my old Garfield Cadet Jacket (old....77), and put a new lining into it so I could wear it on tour. It's a relic I tell you, but when I took it out, looked at the worn thin lining, I was actually nervouse about taking it apart. After all...it's the only one I have, the one I wore as a member, the one that people covet, the one that the current members couldn't believe still existed during spring camp. As the person that cares for and fits the Cadets uniforms every year, the task of replacing that old lining was daunting. What if....I rip the jacket fabric by mistake...I can't get it back together correctly...I mess something up. I sometimes wondered why I kept that old thing, but today, as I begin this historical and emotional task, I am reminded of the days way back when, and look forward to the days ahead of people recognizing that familiar logo. This year, our anniversary year, it will be great to put it on again.

Just a reflection of the past...

For Holy Name Shall Always Be

Both my ring and my jacket are sacred to me. I sometimes wear my jacket to a show, but almost never the ring.

If I could only save 5 things from my burning house, both would be on the list.

This is a Madison jacket though, the traditions of our jackets are very old and rich, but I dunno about other corps.

The ring is probably more special to me too, because it is a Madison ring - very rare.

I remember in the late 80's at Championships, we would see several Blue Devil's members wearing multiple rings over their gloves during competition.

I'm not saying this whether this is cool or tacky, I'm just pointing it out because it is relevant to the conversation.

below are pics of the rings /pendants available this year only to all former marching members of the Cadets, made by Jostens. Anyone can buy a ring I suppose, but not a 75 year anniversary exclusive. I know, it's not a championship ring, but I think it's a great offering by the corps.

I would love to see a photograph of each DCI Championship ring through the years. I wonder how much they have changed in style, etc...

That would be a cool website project. Nerdy, but cool.

Both my ring and my jacket are sacred to me. I sometimes wear my jacket to a show, but almost never the ring.

If I could only save 5 things from my burning house, both would be on the list.

This is a Madison jacket though, the traditions of our jackets are very old and rich, but I dunno about other corps.

The ring is probably more special to me too, because it is a Madison ring - very rare.

I remember in the late 80's at Championships, we would see several Blue Devil's members wearing multiple rings over their gloves during competition.

I'm not saying this whether this is cool or tacky, I'm just pointing it out because it is relevant to the conversation.

You ever feel awkward when you wore the ring in public? I mean, it's a giant ring... easily visible. And when people ask you about it... you go into that awkward phase of explaining what drum corps is. That and I always felt like a jerk wearing it around, but it didn't help that people at my school marched different corps (some didn't make finals...)

The jacket I feel the best about but I don't wear it to any high school functions or anything like that

This.

anyone that believes this side of the argument agrees that DCI is about winning...the fans are as important as the performers, and getting a championship is more important than the journey.

I thought it was all about the kids...hmmm...

Frankly, I don't care one way or the other, but a lot of people that espouse drum corps as "for the kids" are pretty hypocritical when it comes to things like rings and championships...

if a kid wants a ring, let him/her get a ring...he'll/she'll know he/she didn't win a championship, but he/she knows that he/she did one of the most important things in his/her life that he's/she's ever done, and anyone that has done it is a champion.