OK what's up with Crown?

Let's see...17 pages and two weeks since I saw the corps. Tough show to sell, kind of like PR's. Good corps, for sure, but three others in front of 'em and another climbing up their rear end every night.

Gotta communicate the theme. But they had me from "Somewhere"! :worthy:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...17 pages and two weeks since I saw the corps. Tough show to sell, kind of like PR's. Good corps, for sure, but three others in front of 'em and another climbing up their rear end every night.

Gotta communicate the theme. But they had me from "Somewhere"! :worthy:

What's friggin' cavalier's theme Dave? I think the Crown's music is more fun than Cavies or BD (can't say I like it more than WSS). That's not hard to sell. The theme on the other hand, I could see why you could say it's hard to sell but I'm going to ask the time honored DCP question, why do we have to have a theme to begin with? Can you win without one?

Even if the theme is a "hard sell," can't they still be rewarded for simply interpreting the music with marching and movement? I think when a dancer creates a dance, they do it to interpret the music...it's that simple. On another note, I think themes are cool when they're simple: West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera, Machine, Belshazzar's Feast. IMO, a corps isn't on the field long enough to explore and convey anything that isn't readily tangible from jump.

edit:

Timing vs. technique... I think at this point CC's timing may be better than individual technique which still looks varied from person to person (imho) vs BD or HNC who have both timing and technique down.

Good to know...thanks.

edit 2 muah ahh ahh

Not that this is relevant at all, but i would historically disagree that cavies have the best feet. That usually goes to bd, or cadets in their better years. When cavies actually clean the feet to match their drill, they usually do win....

I would agree with this too. [Getting off topic a little] This is just my opinion, but the extra movement in the bicycle step makes it a little more difficult to be in time and consistent from person to person. It's not that those things can't be clean and consistent...it's just that it's one more thing they have to perfect. I'd like to see Cavies wear light pants so we can truly compare apples to apples. I wonder how much (if any) more inconsistencies would be revealed. I'd like to see BD wear light pants cuz, well, I think their technique is spectacular and to hide it with black pants is a sin :worthy: [/Getting off topic a lot]

edit 3 muah ahh ahh

If individual technique is the problem - and it is costing them a title - then the marching techs need to take action.

Really, maybe they need to go back to individual marching drills, like it was a camp in February and March..... Take each marcher from the brass and percussion section, and march them through various drills. Find the individuals who have the problems, and correct them, one by one.

I can't say this is the case in Crown for certain, but most corps have some kind of basics block and it's usually the first thing you do just about everyday up to and including finals week.

Edited by Medeabrass

where on earth did i say anything about the cavaliers?!

where did i say that the corps with the best feet always wins?!

you are putting words in my mouth, friend. that's disingenuous and dishonest. i know you heart crown -- and who doesn't? -- but at least try to be intellectually honest, eh?

my entire point is this: you don't win championships with weak marching technique. crown has what i would consider to be weak marching technique. therefore, "what's up with crown" is that corps with better marching are passing them / staying ahead of them.

QED

Obviously I disagree. This one point does not decide a championship or make one a champion. Sometimes the best feet wins, sometimes not. Crowns feet are good enough to win. Will they win: I don't think so. But I don't think it will be decided by their feet.

Maybe I am just old school but if I want to see a story, other than a straight forward one as mentioned above, I will watch a movie or go to a broadway production.

When I watch drum corps I want a corps to BOTH play and march their butts off and while they are doing it make me think WTF that was awesome and get excited about it and stand up. Don't tell me story by a microphone or with a character or two running around. I can take some body movement as long as it accentuates the program but not to BE the program.

If I am going to fall in love with the activity again I want something in my face.

JMO

Maybe I am just old school but if I want to see a story, other than a straight forward one as mentioned above, I will watch a movie or go to a broadway production.

When I watch drum corps I want a corps to BOTH play and march their butts off and while they are doing it make me think WTF that was awesome and get excited about it and stand up. Don't tell me story by a microphone or with a character or two running around. I can take some body movement as long as it accentuates the program but not to BE the program.

If I am going to fall in love with the activity again I want something in my face.

JMO

Have you seen HNC yet this year? They are doing that for their audience this year...

JMO

Folks, you know you're old and the activity has passed you by when the guy who is the epitome of Star is opining for the "Good Ole Days." "Booooh booooh...Play something we know!" haa haaa....Love ya' Brent

For some reason the theme for "All in the Family" popped into my head as I was typing this.

If individual technique is the problem - and it is costing them a title - then the marching techs need to take action.

Really, maybe they need to go back to individual marching drills, like it was a camp in February and March..... Take each marcher from the brass and percussion section, and march them through various drills. Find the individuals who have the problems, and correct them, one by one.

If this was taught back before the start of tour, then must of what was taught may have been forgotten. If that is the case, then it needs to be re-taught. That may not be part of the plan right now - but clearly the plan has to change, if they want any shot of pulling back into contention for a title.

Honestly, if that is what it is going to take, then that is what they need to do. This may cut into time for sectional or ensemble practice - but if it is the difference between finishing 5th or 1st, then do it.

Think of it this way: when football teams are preparing for the Super Bowl, they still have blocking and tackling drills.

LOL, because obviously you stop doing basics once you get on tour.

LOL, because obviously you stop doing basics once you get on tour.

You would be surprised. We still focused a good amount of time on basics where I marched. The routine stayed the same for the most part.

But I have worked with corps who dropped the emphasis on visual basics a great deal once they are half-way into the season. To the point that they would just do away with visual block all together (late season) to have more ensemble time. And these were top 12 corps.

Edited by Feathers Up

You would be surprised. We still focused a good amount of time on basics where I marched. The routine stayed the same for the most part.

But I have worked with corps who dropped the emphasis on visual basics a great deal once they are half-way into the season. To the point that they would just do away with visual block all together (late season) to have more ensemble time. And these were top 12 corps.

Same with me. Just thought the comment I referenced was funny because we did basics from spring training to finals week last season, and it'd be odd if all of a sudden we'd change what we're doing now that we're in the hunt.

Same with me. Just thought the comment I referenced was funny because we did basics from spring training to finals week last season, and it'd be odd if all of a sudden we'd change what we're doing now that we're in the hunt.

Good to hear. Crown has a great show. I'm pulling for them (to a point). haha