Awesomeness of 2009?

When I look and listen to the 22 World Class Corps collectively, as a group, they are as a entertaining as any 22 in any DCI year that I can recall, and I go back to the inception of DCI.

I'm not saying that it's the most entertaining with this 22, just that it's as entertaining as just about any other 22 in any other year in DCI.

2009 Corps like Madison Scouts, Crossmen,Mandarins, Spirit, Academy, etc may not even make Finals this year. But these are large corps, with entertaining diversity of shows. solid talent, and are playing music and performing visual shows about as well as any years when we look at the Corps outside the top 12. I say this is a very good year from top to bottom. But again, folks are entitled to think it's collectively a dull group, or whatever. I'll just disagree with this, that's all.

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look and listen to the 22 World Class Corps collectively, as a group, they are as a entertaining as any 22 in any DCI year that I can recall, and I go back to the inception of DCI.

I'm not saying that it's the most entertaining with this 22, just that it's as entertaining as just about any other 22 in any other year in DCI.

2009 Corps like Madison Scouts, Crossmen,Mandarins, Spirit, Academy, etc may not even make Finals this year. But these are large corps, with entertaining diversity of shows. solid talent, and are playing music and performing visual shows about as well as any years when we look at the Corps outside the top 12. I say this is a very good year from top to bottom. But again, folks are entitled to think it's collectively a dull group, or whatever. I'll just disagree with this, that's all.

It's obvious we have different taste my friend. This season is great in terms of how competitive it is. Troopers having a shot at finals with a great show! SCV makes me proud. I love Boston's show. And I also enjoy Crown. And the quality of talent also seems well rounded. But in terms of entertaining shows from top to bottom, this is my least favorite season since I started following drum corps (which was 91). But it appears some people really enjoy what most corps are putting out there this year. I guess that's a good thing. But in some ways that really scares me. Not too excited with the direction most corps are going to in terms of design. The BOA/DCI line has become very blurred this year. All IMO of course.

2006 is very likely my favorite year so far. For a number of corps, that may have been the year they put out my favorite show of theirs. 2008 was kind of average. It's helped by the fact that just about everyone was at least solid, but there were only two or three spectacular shows that really stood out. I haven't seen many 2009 shows yet, but right now I'm thinking it'll be about the same. Hopefully more than a few corps are able to wow me at semis.

In '93 both Blue Devils and Madison played "Strawberry Soup"-- I think DCI '09 is far superior to last year. I didn't like the show designs last year--and the miked announcers for every corps were horriible. The Cadets blaze bourgious show from last year irked me--didn't like it-- but this year's show kicks. Whoever said they like last years show better must be a Phantom fan-- they deserved to win last year--I didn't even really like their show that much. The show designs this year are much better-- Carolina Crown is playing a real drum book that fits the show they are doing, unlike last year. Drum Corps is UP in '09!

I think 2009 and 2008 are looking pretty similar in terms of the enjoyability of the top groups. Cadets & SCV are more enjoyable, BD is maybe a bit less. Cavies and Crown are about the same.

But the 7-12 group is a lot more interesting to me this year - I like 5 of the 6 shows and I'm way more excited than last year to see these shows live.

It's obvious we have different taste my friend. This season is great in terms of how competitive it is. Troopers having a shot at finals with a great show! SCV makes me proud. I love Boston's show. And I also enjoy Crown. And the quality of talent also seems well rounded. But in terms of entertaining shows from top to bottom, this is my least favorite season since I started following drum corps (which was 91). But it appears some people really enjoy what most corps are putting out there this year. I guess that's a good thing. But in some ways that really scares me. Not too excited with the direction most corps are going to in terms of design. The BOA/DCI line has become very blurred this year. All IMO of course.

True enough, as said, we just disagree. I'll also put Teal Sound and a few others into the mix for this year... can't leave these Corps out when we look at DCI Corps in any given year. In my view, Teal Sound has one of the most entertaining Corps we've ever seen in Open Class in a very long time. BD " B " and SC Vanguard Cadets are putting out shows every bit as good and as entertaining in my opinion as in past seasons. On the whole, collectively, the DCI Corps are as good as ever, and as entertaining as ever. I might agree that there are a few Corps at the top of World Class whose shows are not as entertaining as perhaps other years editions of their shows. But we're not talking about just the very top Corps here, I don't think. At least I'm not anyway. I 'm looking at the collective group of the DCI Corps. Lots of diversity and different styles and themes, etc among all these Corps. Some Corps went the experimentation route this year, and some were very traditional based with their shows, styles, and themes. Each year I typically find about 4-5 or so shows that I really dig a lot among all the DCI Corps. I've found 6 so far this year. Lots of diversity among these DCI Corps this year, in my view.

Edited by BRASSO

Any year that has SCV's "Ballet for Martha" in it is forever classic in my book. The rest of the groups are added gravy.

See the Vanguard live this year if you can, soak in every note and image and gorgeous moment, get the DVD for posterity, and count your blessings, kids. They don't come along like this often.

:satisfied::thumbup: :thumbup:

I think this is probably the most fun i have had watching drum corps shows since the late 90's.... I like what the top corps corps are doing and am amazed especially at the quality of hornlines in the top tier groups... I think this will be one of the more enjoyable Cd's of any year because of very accessable music from all the groups... I think what sets this year's drumc orps season apart from all the others is the level of talent from top to bottom and especially the well designed shows in corps 1-17... There is not a show i truly dislike and even find myself looking forward to seeing Pioneer and mandarins... No offense to these proud corps, I just mean that they have not always gotten into their product and this year I really do... I'm gonna do a list of corps down below and share some of my thoughts about what a great season it is.....

1) BD- Love the Music, good to see good old swing return to BD... Opener is my favorite music of any corps this summer...

2) Cavaliers- Pretty hard to not like a good product, once again the drill masters...

3) Crown- Hands down my favorite show this year... I could close my eyes and think I am listening to Star of Indiana...

4) HNC- So great to see Cadets wow us through their music, drill and guard... They have gotten back to letting the talent speak for itself...

5) SCV- Still don't care for the drill, but LOVE LOVE LOVE their music book this year!!!!

6) Bluecoats- Sound and look great, not a hue fan of the show, but great quality none-the-less...

7) Phantom- Gonna enjoy listening to them at the end of the year, maybe not so much for watching them...

8) Boston- What a Corps they have this year.. No doubt about it best the have been in almost a decade!!! Fun music, great concept and drum corps moments to the teeth... Any other year they'd be 5th or 6th place I bet...

9) Blue Stars- I knew they'd be better this year, but woah I was not expecting the jump they took.... Again another solid show that I am goona love to see over and over, just wish the closer music was different, but oh well...

10) Blue Knights- My favorite BK show since Montage in '00 and what a drill..... These guys stepped it up this year and they could potentially lose a placement from last year.. Any other year they'd be 7th or 8th but man thats saying something about this year..

11) Best Glassmen since 2001 or so, just got the same problems as the corps above, too many good one's to contend with.....

12) Troopers- Is there a better story waiting to happen than this? I mean a corps that has not even come close to making finals since 1994 and who is "America's Corps, " what a finishing story they'd be, and based off the confidence they are gaining I don't doubt they'll be in.... Wonderful show!!

13) Best Colts since the Equinox show.... They'd be an easy 10th place any year except this one.... They might get rewarded with just missing out on finals.... A fun show and well thought of concept...

14) Academy- And the award for most improved in one year goes to "The Academy" Wow they have really been a shocker this year and have another well designed show... It's too bad their aren't 15 slots for finals this year as I think they'd be in any year but this one...

15) Madison- The award for most improved this summer..... Madison Scouts- No doubt they're getting better and better... If the guard design were a little better or the show a little better in quality of design they 'd be a finalist... They got the talent for sure!!

16) Spirit- The award for taking a chance---- Spirit----Yeah I like this show a lot more than I thought I would but still don't care too much for the bass....

17) X-Men- Have really grown on me, but this was a bad year to take a step back musically.... Visually i think they took a dramatically big leap forward and the corps is performing better than any 17th place group I have ever seen....

18) Mandarins- Speaking of better than ever, one of my favorite musical moments of the summer occurs in the opening statement of Mandarins show.... I love the Festive Overture... What a great corps that is going to be overlooked because of the corps ahead of them...

19) Pac Crest- Another corps whose gonna be over looked even though they have good talent and a nice show...

20) Jersey Surf- Welcome to the Buzz Saw that is World Class.... Not such a nice year to enter in because of the quality and depth, but, at the same time good to see what the next level and step is going to take...

21) Pioneer- Have their ever been this many people cheering on any corps to be????? 21st Place? I mean realistically they wwould be a great story to finally break the last place blues that have plagued them all these years.... No offense to Cascades as your future looks bright, but go Pio, you're a good story this summer.....

22) Cascades- Always good for the DCI economy to have a corps that folded return... Especially a former finalist... Here's to a good future and a battle royale the remainder of the season with Pioneer...

I don't think that anyone can deny the interest created this summer in what I think is one of the great competitive summer's in recent history.... I still don't think it is over.... I really doubt that BD can hold on and go undefeated and I can't wait to see if Crown, HNC, SCV and Cavaliers can close the gap.... Can Boston jump ahead of Phantom and stay there and maybe put a scare into Bluecoats? Can Blue Stars stay in the fray with Phantom or is BK if they clean up and execute gonna battle it out with the Stars down the stretch? Will Glassmen be the best 11th place corps ever? Can the Troopers hang on and make an old corps into a new story all again.... It's gonna be fun to find out... Sorry I got carried away, but I love this activity!

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Edited by wesleyrp

I think this is probably the most fun i have had watching drum corps shows since the late 90's.... I like what the top corps corps are doing and am amazed especially at the quality of hornlines in the top tier groups... I think this will be one of the more enjoyable Cd's of any year because of very accessable music from all the groups... I think what sets this year's drumc orps season apart from all the others is the level of talent from top to bottom and especially the well designed shows in corps 1-17... There is not a show i truly dislike and even find myself looking forward to seeing

I agree with everything you said. This year is almost an exact turnaround from last year, which I was disappointed w/--the show designers get an A from me this year.