Paging Dan Potter, you have a subject for a future Fieldpass interview.

Not just grit, True Grit.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm loving the double entendre of "GRIT"...

Captain Obvious, AWAAAAAY!

:blink:

Such a cool story, thanks for sharing! DCP needs more of this.

Oh, and congrats!

I remember I think the 2006 ESPN broadcast the cadets had a legally blind tenor player as well. I'm not sure what years he marched anyone know?

That was Matt Bowers. Cadets '06, BD '07, '08. I don't know what other years he marched or where.

Back in my day I would rather not think what we would have done with that eye patch as a way of "hype"!

I won't be judgmental regarding this one young lady, because I'm sure there is more to the story.

In general, to march with pain can be admirable in some circumstances. But to march with an injury that could lead to the permanent loss of sight in an eye, against medical advice, is not very smart. It's not the percentage play for leading a full and happy life.

Teenagers are subject to the peer pressure of the moment and a "suck it up" attitude when it comes to group competition. The responsible adults charged with watching these young people should know that, and make the adult decision in the person's best interests because they are immune to peer pressure.

Those of us who are old enough to have children realize the important of certain moments, and to risk the possible loss of sight for the rest of your life to "march Atlanta" just doesn't matter. Life is bigger than that.

I hope in retrospect, that is the lesson learned. The fact the person is lucky and sight is not lost doesn't turn a bad decision into a good one.

I will AGAIN say that I don't know the circumstances, so I am NOT being critical of any corps personnel, or the parents, or of the individual. I am saying IN GENERAL that based on a doctor's recommendation, and based on the fact that this potentially involves the permanent loss of vision, the importance of short term trivial events should not outweigh the potential effects of long-term consequences.

Edited by wvu80

I won't be judgmental regarding this one young lady, because I'm sure there is more to the story.

In general, to march with pain can be admirable in some circumstances. But to march with an injury that could lead to the permanent loss of sight in an eye, against medical advice, is not very smart. It's not the percentage play for leading a full and happy life.

Teenagers are subject to the peer pressure of the moment and a "suck it up" attitude when it comes to group competition. The responsible adults charged with watching these young people should know that, and make the adult decision in the person's best interests because they are immune to peer pressure.

Those of us who are old enough to have children realize the important of certain moments, and to risk the possible loss of sight for the rest of your life to "march Atlanta" just doesn't matter. Life is bigger than that.

I hope in retrospect, that is the lesson learned. The fact the person is lucky and sight is not lost doesn't turn a bad decision into a good one.

I will AGAIN say that I don't know the circumstances, so I am NOT being critical of any corps personnel, or the parents, or of the individual. I am saying IN GENERAL that based on a doctor's recommendation, and based on the fact that this potentially involves the permanent loss of vision, the importance of short term trivial events should not outweigh the potential effects of long-term consequences.

Maybe I'm jaded because I played with rusty, metal Tonka trucks, rode a bike without a helmet and have been overseas a few times........... but here is the morning rant.

The wussification of America continues.......... everyone please climb into your bubbles. Do NOT come out until all sharp edges found and eliminated.

What ever happened to the spirit of adventure and risk in America? Good thing the 1st explorers didn't stand on the edge of the Great Plains or the edge of the Rocky Mountains and decide it was too tough and someone might get hurt. Thank God the men of Concord and Lexington didn't play the percentages for a full and happy life at the birth of our nation. Sam Walton and Bill Gates took some risks, it seems it worked out OK for them.

Is the Atlanta regional close to any of that? Hell no.

But singular events like this can shape a young person. Are they going to be the type that rolls over for the rest of their lives or stand up in face of adversity?

Really, it was pink-eye with a corneal abrasion. Once the irritant causing the abrasion was removed and the eye was patched preventing further contaminants from entering, the eye can heal just fine. Doctors have a wonderful habit of saying go home and rest so they don't get sued or people don't lose jobs.

My rant is now over.

I'm going to go find some Decaf now.

Congrats to this young lady for looking at the situation and saying, "F*** it. I'm tougher than that."

Edited by blue9195