Audience Behavior

How about people holding up cameras in the middle of performances?

Phantom is coming onto the field, and two people decide to sit infront of me and my friends for the performance. So, right as Phantom is announced, then both pull out cameras and start recording. So, me and my friends are like "whatever...." and let them do their thing. They then proceed to hold their camera above their heads infront of our faces. So I lean up and politely ask them to put the cameras down. Then she starts taking pictures with her flash on, and starts holding the camera up again. So i then lean up and turn her camera off for her. They then moved to their seats and left us alone for the rest of the night.

Atlanta had the WORST crowd ive ever been to.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS !!!

I totally agree. Last year in Allentown two HS band members (guys) sat in front of me (On the 50 yardline 16 rows off field level) and other than a polite golf clap at the end of a corps performance......they sat there almost motionless and speechless. They looked bored to tears. I remember the days very well when there were rousing applause throughout a corps performance.

As far as a "No tolerance" approach to talking/comments during a corps performance.....well....I don't support that. At DCI finals two years ago a fan went SHHHH to my father after he said "Awesome drumline" in a very low voice.

It's not the symphony folks......

It's so bad they actually have an announcement at shows telling fans it's ok to cheer and clap throughout a corps performance.... :worthy:

Someone needs to put on their awareness goggles...

EDIT - Just for clarification, I'm talking about the other fan, not your father.

Edited by acolli17

I have the up most respect for every corps that takes the field! Every single kid in a uniform no matter what colour it may be has worked their backside off to be there!!! And everybody in the stands needs to show them the respect they deserve!!!

In saying that.. I toured with a corps for the full season last year, all days through finals, and there was many a time I was appalled by what some "fans" got up to at shows.. and many a time I was very tempted to get my own back!! I'm middle child with ADHA, trust me, I can be annoying!

It just disappointed me to see grown adults acting like rude arrogant snobs just because it wasn’t their team out on the field. If you are just going to sit there making rude comments or chatting away in your own little world and not supprt the corps on the field then LEAVE and find somewhere else to have your conversation and let the supporters enjoy the show!

How about people holding up cameras in the middle of performances?

Phantom is coming onto the field, and two people decide to sit infront of me and my friends for the performance. So, right as Phantom is announced, then both pull out cameras and start recording. So, me and my friends are like "whatever...." and let them do their thing. They then proceed to hold their camera above their heads infront of our faces. So I lean up and politely ask them to put the cameras down. Then she starts taking pictures with her flash on, and starts holding the camera up again. So i then lean up and turn her camera off for her. They then moved to their seats and left us alone for the rest of the night.

Atlanta had the WORST crowd ive ever been to.

Oh and a note about cameras... I am all for taking photos!!!! But I am a photographer, and you should never get in anybody elses way!! just because you are recording a memory it does not give you the rite to spoil somebody elses!

Can you imagine if I was to stand between the pastor and a couple at a wedding to get a good shot?! not cool!! or if I were to jump up on stage at a festival between the crowd and the lead singer to get an awesome close up.. appart from being punched in the face.. its just plain rude and woud spoil it for way too many people!

It's not a drum corps thing, folks; it's an American culture thing.

Been to a movie lately? My wife and I now try to go only on Sunday nights or during the day on weekdays when it's least crowded so that we can at least position ourselves farthest away from the number of people who will be texting or talking during the show.

And it's not just movies: I was at a show at Steppenwolf in Chicago not long ago when the woman in front of me had her cell phone vibrate during the show (loudly). She then proceeds to answer her phone (this is a live theatre performance, remember), and have a conversation with whoever:

"Hi....well, I can't really talk now, I'm watching a play...........at Steppenwolf.....(pause)..........no...nobody famous.'

We have a culture of personal entitlement, where you have "the right" to act any way you want. That doesn't mean that those of us who care about polite society should give up, but you should assume that you'll be surrounded by boobs whose idea of the world ends at the tip of their nose and make plans for how to deal with it when they start acting like idiots.

Edited by mobrien

The Yellow-shirt security folks at the Dome need to get some training -- rude and absurd enforcement as well as non-enforcement of common sense. Worse I've experienced in any show or venue. And (some of) the fans discipline or etiquette mentioned above doesn't help matters for a pleasant respectful experience!

Agreed. The guard where I was sitting in Atlanta was amazed at the quality of the shows, from Cascades through BD. While I'm happy that drum corps has gained a new fan, he was there to do a job and he was too busy enjoying the show to do it. The only time he cracked down was when people took to sitting in the aisles which even he knew to be a no no.

Audience behavior in general is pretty bad at many events, ranging from people talking through shows (except when it's "their" corps, then heaven help anyone who so much as coughs) to bringing small, ill-behaved children to Championships, to security staff which isn't trained on how this activity differs from, say, a football game. Hopefully the latter will improve now that we have a "permanent" finals home.

Get back at them, Monty Python style!! "I fart in your general direction" *throws cow*

Now that could have just been a difference of opinion between the shusher and your dad! :sigh:

Touche........ :worthy:

The drumline he was referring was SCV.......I think most fans would agree they have a fairly solid drum program in Santa Clara :thumbup:

Audience behavior in general is pretty bad at many events, ranging from people talking through shows (except when it's "their" corps, then heaven help anyone who so much as coughs) to bringing small, ill-behaved children to Championships, to security staff which isn't trained on how this activity differs from, say, a football game. Hopefully the latter will improve now that we have a "permanent" finals home.

Some of the worst offenders of the bolded I hate to say are big marching band fans. I have seen this at every band show I have attended over the years. Except for just a couple of bands......the fans (Parents, relatives, alumni) sit on their hands for most other bands. Being in INDY (MB central).....I am not sure what to expect.....

Here is a quick one to show how strange it is now. Back in 2006 before quarter finals I was in a pizza place (Great place) right across from the stadium and got to chatting with a women who's daughter was in the Blue Knights color guard. She asked me "So....who are you supporting ?" I said no one specifically.....I am just a fan who enjoys drum corps. She looked at me like I was from another planet and said....."So you don't know anyone in any of the corps ?"......I smiled and said nope....and it's been that way since 1998 (I knew someone in the Cadets who I marched with in DCA).

By the way....this has happened a couple of times with other parents/relatives the last couple of years....

It's not a drum corps thing, folks; it's an American culture thing.

Been to a movie lately? My wife and I now try to go only on Sunday nights or during the day on weekdays when it's least crowded so that we can at least position ourselves farthest away from the number of people who will be texting or talking during the show.

And it's not just movies: I was at a show at Steppenwolf in Chicago not long ago when the woman in front of me had her cell phone vibrate during the show (loudly). She then proceeds to answer her phone (this is a live theatre performance, remember), and have a conversation with whoever:

"Hi....well, I can't really talk now, I'm watching a play...........at Steppenwolf.....(pause)..........no...nobody famous.'

We have a culture of personal entitlement, where you have "the right" to act any way you want. That doesn't mean that those of us who care about polite society should give up, but you should assume that you'll be surrounded by boobs whose idea of the world ends at the tip of their nose and make plans for how to deal with it when they start acting like idiots.

I totally agree. Good posts!!! :thumbup:

Edited by gbell211