12th Place Upsets

BK 2002. We came back from a very disappointing 2001 season with a much better show, and made it into finals at the major regionals. Magic made finals at the show that counted, though. DCI has since changed that rule, thank goodness..... too little too late for BK 2002, though.

I was completely stunned when we didn't make finals. Never even saw it coming.

So yeah, I've been there. It sucks, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a bit surprised at Kilts making finals in '78. IMO, a number of corps that placed under them -- and yes, I confess, I include my own corps in this group -- were quite a bit stronger.

(Redundant disclaimer: This is just my opinion, of course.)

Closest score I can find coem from 2004 Semis.

12 Glassmen 86.375

13 Spirit 86.300

That is a .075 difference in making finals or not. Very close and hard fought season that year. My wife aged out with Spirit that season, and it was hard to see that corps not on the field on finals night.

Closest score I can find coem from 2004 Semis.

12 Glassmen 86.375

13 Spirit 86.300

That is a .075 difference in making finals or not. Very close and hard fought season that year. My wife aged out with Spirit that season, and it was hard to see that corps not on the field on finals night.

I marched Glassmen that year. We were gathered after the show outside the stadium before we knew our scores and saw Spirit cheer about something (to this day I don't know what). I thought, oh ####, not my ageout year: my last chance to march finals. Shortly after, Brian Hickman called us all together and I have to say I was almost in tears. "Spirit has a really good program this year and I am very proud of each of you" he said, "Now, don't get too emotional right here" :long pause: "but we're in." The feeling of that moment was tremendous. Instantaneous emotion change.

Coincidentally enough I was also on the other side of a very tight battle for elimination. I marched Pioneer in 2001 when we missed semi-finals by 0.05 points to the then Div II Seattle Cascades so I can definitely identify with the pain Spirit felt in 2004.

Souring Sounds - Centerville, OH

3. The Troopers - 83.600

4. The Academy - 83.250

Hmmm..... Those are the scores from last night's show in Ohio. Anyone else see that?

Has anyone though that THIS year could be a major 12th place upset year?

How about a three way tie for 12th between Troopers, Academy, and Colts :bigsmile:

I really, really want to see Troopers make finals this year, but honestly, I believe it could be any of these three.

I marched Glassmen that year. We were gathered after the show outside the stadium before we knew our scores and saw Spirit cheer about something (to this day I don't know what).

That was a fun year for competition (even though you guys got us in the end). A lot of people started sheering because someone heard the scores incorrectly. They thought you guys were a tenth of a point lower i think. I think we were all sort of hoping for some of that '03 magic (14th to 12th) to help out, but hey, it can't happen every year!

Souring Sounds - Centerville, OH

3. The Troopers - 83.600

4. The Academy - 83.250

Hmmm..... Those are the scores from last night's show in Ohio. Anyone else see that?

Has anyone though that THIS year could be a major 12th place upset year?

Only problem is I don't see it being upset no matter which corps makes it....Colts, Academy, Troopers or Madison that is. Outside of that then yes I think it would be an upset.

Edited by bmroth1