DCI Scoring Accuracy

DCI Scoring Accuracy  

108 members have voted

1. 1. How accurate do you think DCI scores are?

• within a half point
    • within one point
    • within two points
    • within 3 points
    • within 5 points
    • within 10 points
    • more than 10 points off

After scores in Richmond, I would like to change my answer to 'within 3 points'

I second that.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know that there is an accuracy to scores. Scores by the judges are opinions... the opinions of experienced, respected ladies and gentlemen, but opinions nonetheless.

In terms of whether I think they generally do a better job of judging than I would, I would say they're much more accurate. My opinion is way less informed than your worst guard, percussion, or visual design judge, and I know that I agree with most--but by no means all--brass and ensemble music judges. Even if I were as qualified, I doubt there is any drug on (or off) the market that would enable me to accurately judge all of the captions at once, even if I could find a way to simultaneously run with the battery and watch from the box.

So, I usually settle for deciding what I liked and didn't like, based on what I saw and what I know. When the judges give their numbers, I either like it or deal with it.

I wouldn't put it this way. To me, the "opinion" thing gets thrown out there way too loosely. Score and placement are not JUST opinion. Yes, there is a good bit of subjectivity to the judging. But to throw out the opinion debate sounds almost like some of these young college students in an ultra-liberal setting where the common phrase is "there is no fact, only opinion."

There are facts in music. There is objectivity in music. There is clearly a better and worse.

When it comes to the performance captions, it is pretty cut and dry (brass, guard, marching, percussion). In most cases, and I say this because we do get an inexperienced judge once in a while, your good judges will quickly know the difference between corps A, B, C, and so on in brass, or percussion, guard, marching. It can be more difficult to tell the higher you go, but it's not that hard.

I think when it comes to assigning a placement (rank), in the performance captions, the process is far more objective and factual that opinion. Now, the argument is often over spreads, and here is where some debate will take place. There have been very few times when I felt a judge has missed the boat on the rank of the performance caption. I think the judges do an amazing job here, and it's very accurate.

In the more "creative" captions, then, yes, I do feel we get more opinion, and that opinion is usually based on style, knowledge of the style, ability to read what is taking place, and artistic differences. GE Music, GE Visual, and Guard are the most debated captions because there is more room for Artistic license. Yet, I do feel the judges do a super job year in and out in this area. They do a great job because ultimately it still comes down to sub elements that make up each of those "creative" captions. Elements like construction, performance, and the ability to sell your product according to theme or style or story you have presented.

So I would be wrong to say opinion and artistic license are not part of the process to some degree, but there is much more objective judging that people think. In the performance captions it's a lot more clear, and it's the spreads that can often be the real challenge.

Rarely have I disagreed with the rankings at the end of a summer, so the judges must be doing something well.

Edited by jwillis35

every night someone predicts and then puts there predictions next to results and almost all of them are about .5 off

every night someone predicts and then puts there predictions next to results and almost all of them are about .5 off

That's because Fred is a GOD!!!

:thumbup::sigh::worthy: :worthy:

:sigh::worthy::sigh::thumbup:

:thumbup::sigh::worthy: :worthy:

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Scores are relative only to other scores from the same show and even then there can be discrepancies due to fatigue from a long show day.

Besides, no one would be able to accurately judge a corps by themselves by quantitative means. Eight qualified individuals seem to have a hard time doing it collectively according to most people here.

Where's the option for "scores don't matter, spreads do"?

applaud.gif

But to throw out the opinion debate sounds almost like some of these young college students in an ultra-liberal setting where the common phrase is "there is no fact, only opinion."

There are facts in music. There is objectivity in music. There is clearly a better and worse.

Ultra-liberal? Seriously, what size can are you trying to open on this topic?

Be careful. Even W.Buckley, JR wouldn't claim that the idea of "better and worse" is clear in the musical world. Certainly you wouldn't claim that there is NO subjectivity in this activity?

I read a lot of things on here; as a musician, this is the first to which I have taken real offense. TERRIBLE.