The Retractable Roof at Lucas Oil

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/...st10DayLink_ski

:tongue: I'm guessing you're not from around here. It's rained a couple of times today already.

In. is my home state. I'm from Warsaw, IN-- I realize its rainy today in Indiana--but its not August today either.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed my first finals in over 20 years last year. All I can say is the sound can't possibly be bad enough to be the main reason not to go. I am still upset that I could not go last year. 8 1/2 month pregnant wife was my reason. Keep going to finals. The sound will be plenty good to make it worth every penny. inside or not.

I understand what you are saying, but the sound is what has always thrilled me when it comes to drum corps. I have been in the other domes and it is just plain terrible. I keep going, but I began asking myself if just going to the outside shows would be better. I think that I will probably make that choice (just outside shows) if the sound is as bad as I suspect. Drum corps used to be about sound. They (DCI) are not even calling it drum and bugle corps anymore. They (DCI) seem more interested in the visual aspects of the shows. If this wasn't their focus, why have shows in San Antonio and Atlanta?

I also beg to differ with the earlier poster who said that the dome was designed with music in mind. Where are the sound absorbing surfaces that are always present in facilities designed with sound in mind? It looks to me to be all open metal works, glass and vast expanses. These surfaces are not condusive to great sound reproduction. This is not how acoustically designed spaces are built. Their (Lucas Oil Stadium and DCI) idea was to put up a curtain. This is not a design, but a patch. I hope the patch works, but truly designing the stadium with acoustics in mind was not done as far as I can see. I truly am hoping that I am wrong. But I have serious doubts. I hope I have to eat everyone of my words!

Scouts were definitely hot that night, but I have to belive given the choice they would have preferred a dry venue.

Yup, exactly.

Just so everybody knows, from personal experience (watching ISSMA marching band State Finals and BOA Grand Nats Finals) the sound is pretty darn good. They have huge drapes (for lack of a better word) hung on the backfield side blocking the view of the vast majority of the seats, absorbing a lot of echo. They also have drapes hung on the sides to also absorb sound. The stadium was built specifically for the type of sound marching ensembles produce. It was part of the deal with DCI moving to Indy. The sound from the bands I watched was crystal clear and I was on or very close to the 50 in the 500 and 500 sections for both events listed above. Every part can be heard from wind to battery to front ensemble. Yes, there is a very SLIGHT echo, but it is NOTHING compared to what the RCA Dome ever was. I hope this helps in some way. :)

Anyone curious about the sound in Lucas Oil can go to a certain tubular website and watch some performances from an organization that many DCPers have bizarre and irrational hatred towards. I especially recommend a one minute clip of a group that shares its name with a well-known cosmetics company. It's not live, but it's something.

In my opinion, the sound is not nearly as bad as it is in other domes, but it's far from ideal. We were spoiled last year at Memorial.

The roof will remain closed the entire time to keep similar conditions for all corps. If one corps does better than another because during their run the roof was open, therefor they have less reverb to worry about, then it wouldn't be too fair. To try and combat some of the reverb a black cloth is being hung at the back of the field.

This is similar to the typical rule for Colts games, which is that if it looks like conditions might warrant a roof closure, then it will be closed from the get-go. In order to stay open, basically they are betting on no rain, as the stadium does not have adequate drainage to handle rain.

Here's hoping for open roof and window!

However, I did attend ISSMA (Indiana's marching band circuit) State Finals this year and was very pleasantly surprised by the difference in sound quality from what the RCA Dome used to be. Over my marching band and drum corps tenure I marched in the RCA 7 times, and I can tell you that Lucas Oil Stadium is a vast improvement. And I'm a guy who doesn't care to watch drill - I always sit in the first 3 rows for DCI/Marching Band.

This is similar to the typical rule for Colts games, which is that if it looks like conditions might warrant a roof closure, then it will be closed from the get-go. In order to stay open, basically they are betting on no rain, as the stadium does not have adequate drainage to handle rain.

At the Centerville show I had the chance to ask one of the directors about the roof. He confirmed what "Lead" said above. Plans call for the roof to be closed for an event unless there is virtually a zero percent chance of rain. I guess we will likely be sitting in a closed air conditioned space next week.