The Retractable Roof at Lucas Oil

Needs to be done or not, they're in a contractual agreement with the city right?

I would think that dci has some legal provisions on their side as to certain cirumstances where they could move finals elsewhere. That would be sound business practice, or at least would hope so.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The BOA people said the venue is bad acoustically-- it just doesn't make any sense to have DCI finals in a bad sounding venue--not when you could drive a 1/2 south to Bloomington Memorial stadium and be at a 'perfect' venue w/ perfect acoustics in perfect weather-- like last year. When finals were in Madison no one ever complained about not being able to hear the show. Why pay to attend a show you can't hear? And hearing isn't the only concern--you might not even be able to see-- the stands are much less vertical that ordinary stadium seating-- most of the seating is farther from the field than in blommington or madison

what about the corps that have to compete in rain, while others don't? Definitely not a level playing field there, and pretty unfair to those corps that have to compete in the far more adverse conditions.

I was at finals in '93 when the Scouts played in a downpour. The crowd went nuts-- water pouring off their hats--beads of water just flying off the drums--it was the single most memorable show I've ever seen--we were soaked and loving it. Of course an hour before the downpour it had been 100 degrees.

I'd disagree. I didn't march Madison in '93, but the energy during that performance was THE reason I wanted to march with them. :tongue::bleah::lol:

The rain did cause issues later in the evening....I remember the Cavaliers having an especially difficult keeping their feet underneath them on the wet grass.

Back in the day, we could march during a monsoon as long as there was no lightning. But, with all the electronics, etc., required for a drum corps show these days, there's no way we could have a performance during the rain. So, I suppose, given the circumstances, the roof is probably a good thing.

Scouts were definitely hot that night, but I have to belive given the choice they would have preferred a dry venue.

My wife and I have also reached that conclusion. If it is bad, we will tank up on outdoor shows like Murfreesboro and Allentown and pass on finals. It would be the first ones we would have missed in over 15 years. I can't believe that we are actually contemplating this!!!!

I missed my first finals in over 20 years last year. All I can say is the sound can't possibly be bad enough to be the main reason not to go. I am still upset that I could not go last year. 8 1/2 month pregnant wife was my reason. Keep going to finals. The sound will be plenty good to make it worth every penny. inside or not.

The other thing is, Indiana is not Florida or Mississippi-- it hardly ever rains in August in IN. Chances are, there won't be a cloud in the sky the whole week. To me, its worth the risk of getting wet to be able to hear--just a little feedback from an echo destroys the entire effect--I can't tell a clean roll from a dirty one-- it can cause fazing issues visually as well. I'll give it a shot on Thursday for quarter finals, but if it sucks I'm not comming back and I will be super disappointed.

The other thing is, Indiana is not Florida or Mississippi-- it hardly ever rains in August in IN. Chances are, there won't be a cloud in the sky the whole week.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/...st10DayLink_ski

:tongue: I'm guessing you're not from around here. It's rained a couple of times today already.

We have had a very cool July in Indianapolis, only 1 day where the temperature was above average and 2 more where it reached the average. Most days have been below average, and next week looks to be more of the same. As far as rain goes however it looks like scattered thunderstorms are predicted for Thursday and clouds on Friday. The roof takes a long time to open or close so they have to decide on the morning of the event. If the forecast doesn't change, it looks like the roof will be closed at least on Thursday.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but last year there was a Kenny Chesney concert in the stadium and there were numerous complaints about sound quality in the stadium. I didn't personally attend, but apparently most people couldn't follow along at all due to the echo. Since then the stadium has hung large drapes to try to cut down on echo but I don't know how effective they've been. I was at a Colts game in December and it was perfectly easy to hear the announcers and refs on the loud speakers. That may not be the greatest indicator of how the corps will sound, but take it for what you will.

Personally my fingers are crossed that the roof is open and that the large drapes they have hung do their job well.

We have had a very cool July in Indianapolis, only 1 day where the temperature was above average and 2 more where it reached the average. Most days have been below average, and next week looks to be more of the same. As far as rain goes however it looks like scattered thunderstorms are predicted for Thursday and clouds on Friday. The roof takes a long time to open or close so they have to decide on the morning of the event. If the forecast doesn't change, it looks like the roof will be closed at least on Thursday.

Actually the roof can close very quickly, in about 8-12 minutes. I was there for the first Colts preseason game, and watched Jim Irsay "flick the switch" to open the stadium up. Unfortunately there's literally no drainage for the field, so if there's even a chance of rain then the roof will be closed.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but last year there was a Kenny Chesney concert in the stadium and there were numerous complaints about sound quality in the stadium.

well yeah, but that's because it was Kenny Chesney. :tongue: