The Retractable Roof at Lucas Oil

Haha try it down here in Tennessee my friend

I know. Lived in western Kentucky for 10 years, which is similar. Ugh! And then my grandparents lived in Homestead, Fla., which is as far south as you can go before hitting the Keys. After a few summers there, I decided I never wanted to spend another summer in Florida ever again. I really felt for the corps when finals were in Miami. Of course, I marched back when finals were in Birmingham, and that was no picnic, either.

Anyone who marched Madison in 93 can tell you the benifit of a closed roof stadium. Those boys played (and played well) in a monsoon downpour.

Yup, I remember that. That's the other issue, eh? Finals might not be a complete washout without a roof, but what about the corps that have to compete in rain, while others don't? Definitely not a level playing field there, and pretty unfair to those corps that have to compete in the far more adverse conditions.

Edited by byline

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's so funny seeing people get all stressed about this. I was at BOA (when the roof was obviously closed) and the sound was decent, much better than the RCA Dome. With the roof and sides open, this place should be great. It's a BEAUTIFUL facility with comfy seating, so chill out and enjoy!!!

I was there for the ISSMA State finals and sat in the upper deck. It's not quite as good as an open air stadium, but much better than your standard dome. The curtains in the back help that a lot I would assume. The curtains also create a nice backdrop to "stage" the performances.

I have a question:

When was the last time there was a problem with rain conditions at finals? I remember in 2003 there were thunderstorms and lightning delays, and in Foxboro there was a heat delay, but no rain delay comes to mind. Why was that such a big factor for DCI to decide to use this 'semi indoor' facility?

In Foxboro in '94, quarters was shortened and the top six corps were "seeded" into semis due to rain...I don't remember the year, but it seemed like every time it was in Orlando there were delays due to the weather-IIRC, one time it was delayed by something like a couple of hours.

Anyone who marched Madison in 93 can tell you the benifit of a closed roof stadium. Those boys played (and played well) in a monsoon downpour.

I'd disagree. I didn't march Madison in '93, but the energy during that performance was THE reason I wanted to march with them. :tongue::bleah::lol:

The rain did cause issues later in the evening....I remember the Cavaliers having an especially difficult keeping their feet underneath them on the wet grass.

Back in the day, we could march during a monsoon as long as there was no lightning. But, with all the electronics, etc., required for a drum corps show these days, there's no way we could have a performance during the rain. So, I suppose, given the circumstances, the roof is probably a good thing.

2004 denver, at least a 30 minute rain delay. i remember camping out in the concession tunnel and hoarding paper towels to wipe my seat dry.

I remember that storm. I was at the II/III event which ended up getting called off due to the field condition after the rain stopped (I think they seeded the corps who hadn't competed yet - forget the details). Invesco field, however, has amazing drainage system and the Div I contest was able to continue. After II/III stopped for the rain, I headed over to Invesco and spent the rest of the night there.

I had the pleasure of marching GN there this past year, and all I can say is that it is better than the RCA Dome. I can see where DCI came from in saying it was designed with them in mind, as sound coming from the band was much rounder than at Dome, where the sound bounced around like an 8 year old on crack (don't think too much about that simile, I certainly didn't). However, the fact is, an open air stadium will always be the best choice for DCI.

I can't imagine anyone in guard not liking the roof closed - no wind option

It totally sucks having your last performance at DCI ruined because the wind is so bad that you just can't perform the show cleanly (anyone remember Crossmen '93 having to perform semi's in a wind storm!)

Later,

Mike