West Chester Wrumble

Why was specifically Crown beating Cadets such a surprise?.... what about Cavies beating Cadets, or Crown beating Cavies?

I think given the praise for the HNC, the answer is clear :tongue:

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay... I get that... but why wasn't Cavaliers beating Cadets a surprise then???

because they are the cavaliers and beat everybody every year with the same boring shows...

because they are the cavaliers and beat everybody every year with the same boring shows...

Ok so if the Cavaliers had the most boring show, wouldn't the most shock be about Cavaliers beating Cadets? It's not like everyone in the audience is a DCI expert and knows that Cavaliers have won all the time in the past, I would wager there were a lot of high school kids. Besides, Crown has beaten Cadets a lot this year and last year. What is your point? It seems like you are digging at Crown.

haha, i secretly love that comment. . . until of course i posted this comment.

Ok so if the Cavaliers had the most boring show, wouldn't the most shock be about Cavaliers beating Cadets? It's not like everyone in the audience is a DCI expert and knows that Cavaliers have won all the time in the past, I would wager there were a lot of high school kids. Besides, Crown has beaten Cadets a lot this year and last year. What is your point? It seems like you are digging at Crown.

And it seems like you're taking it too personally. They were just saying they were the Crowd favorite and that's it. Crown was mentioned, but I'm sure they were upset about hearing Cadets before either of the later corps. The end.

See you in Allentown.

And it seems like you're taking it too personally. They were just saying they were the Crowd favorite and that's it. Crown was mentioned, but I'm sure they were upset about hearing Cadets before either of the later corps. The end.

See you in Allentown.

You're right. I apologize, 3rd Star.

You're right. I apologize, 3rd Star.

:tongue:

This recap really is the perfect example on how the most subjective caption (GE) can really make the difference.

Yeah. Cavs win Vis Perf, Vis Ens, Brass Perf, Perc Perf, tie with Cadets for overall Visual, and win Music, but don't win the show. (side note: how often does a corps win brass and percussion, but get third in ensemble?)

In subcaptions, the Cadets have three 3rds and Crown has nine 3rds.

If all three corps had tied in total GE at 37.40 (which is what the Cavs scored), Cavs would have won the show, Cadets would have been -.15, and Crown would have been -.65.

I'm not saying the scores are wrong, or GE is weighted too heavily. I just think that the scores are going to remain interesting as long as the GE scores keep fluctuating.

Edited by Jayzer

Just got home from show:

Surf: Really enjoyed the improvement in the show. Kids are selling it; color guard pretty darn good; brass just needs to be more experienced i think.

Xmen: Bone cape reveal timed perfectly with start of show. Get the feeling the Xmen have a handle of this book musically. Has the guard been getting out the hose? I was less than enthusiastic about the book tonight.

Boston: This show is just fun to watch. There's still about a minute of the show in the middle (building to a curvy company front i think) where the show just loses me.

Crown: Well I thought the brass was really on tonight. Visually cleaned up quite a bit from my last viewing. I did hear the guard had less than brilliant run but to be honest I was listening (and snapping a lot of pix of my kid!) No more camera for me. I'm just watching the rest of the season.

Cavies: Very controlled. Golf clapping at end. I like this show a bit more in person than on the FN BUT it entirely due to the CG. The were on -- selling the show -- and catching their equipment. If there were no guard out there this show would be an anesthetic -- I'm not feeling any emotion or performance from the brass at all.

Cadets: Great run for HNC. Still a lot of dirt field level in the dense drill moves. A lot of dynamics added since I saw it last -- much more pleasant ride start to finish now.

This was a big HNC crown (thus the reaction). Crown is for real folks. You might say it's a virtual tie but they beat HNC and Cavies (and I thought the margin might have been larger -- brass and perc were tight and I was suprised to see them behind maroon or green).

Finally I can't believe I've been to 2 shows run by YEA where they forgot to put an american flag on the field for the National Anthem. That was just sad.