Allentown - Day 2

One question I do have is what is Tony DeCarlo doing judging? Isn't he normally a show coordinator, but not a judge?

recaps wrong. Tony patrolled the sideline

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you a question? If your visual show is pedestrian at best as the Phantom show is, don't you think that the hornline will play better?? Honestly I have seen Phantom a number of times this seson both Live and Online.... Boston plays just as well.... Phantoms sound isn't nearly as dark as it has been... Personally I think switching to the Jupiter horns was a horrible idea... But that aside, yes I do think the visual side of their show is bad enough to get them beat come finals... That also goes towards design, which is GE... The music also is not stellar so while they may be winning the performance captions I feel come finals time the scores may change and favor BAC....

As to your other thought, I think it is truly @###@@!# crazy to think that politics do not play a huge part in every activity.... Not just DCI.... Conspiracy? No, but one of the most storied corps might get a little bit of a repreive compared to say a great corps whose never won a DCI title... Judging Music/The Arts/Marching is subjective... So an apple is not an orange, both are good... But from time to time your love of one over the other might sway your desicion as to which one to eat... Just a thought...

Wes P

I never said politics don't play a part in the activity, so strike one.

Politics and conspiracy theories are not mutually exclusive.

Could one of the more storied corps of all time get a bit of a reprieve? Yeah, I suppose so. But if you look at recent history, you will see that they have not historically done so (late 90s, early 00s).

Now...PR's drill may be pretty poorly designed, but it isn't as if they are just sitting around not moving. Those suckers are still hauling ###. Your implication that their horns play better because their drill is easy and poorly designed is way off base. I think PR moves faster than BAC....they just don't integrate guard as well,, or for that matter, make better pictures or transitions.

If this was BD or the Cavaliers, then I could maybe see your point....but historically, with 5 2nd place finishes, I wouldn't say PR has gotten the benefit of the doubt, not even against corps that have not won a title (lost to Crossmen at Finals in 1992, lost to BK in 1999 and 2000, etc)

If BAC and BS are better come Finals, they will beat PR. Simple as that. There is no conspiracy, and PR is not being kept above those two corps just because they are the defending champion. They are above them because they are scoring higher in certain areas. Now, if we start seeing PR beating those two in GE Visual and Visual Ensemble, you could have a reason to complain.

Frankly, PR's hornline and drums are worlds better than BAC or BS. That's just my opinion. But it has been historically backed by numbers.

I'm curious to know how Yamaha got hold of the rights to everyone's shows to post these snippets. I apologize, of course, if this has already been explained.

They're probably not worrying about it, which they shouldn't, because I highly, highly doubt the original composers care in any way, shape, or form.

I never said politics don't play a part in the activity, so strike one.

Politics and conspiracy theories are not mutually exclusive.

Could one of the more storied corps of all time get a bit of a reprieve? Yeah, I suppose so. But if you look at recent history, you will see that they have not historically done so (late 90s, early 00s).

Now...PR's drill may be pretty poorly designed, but it isn't as if they are just sitting around not moving. Those suckers are still hauling ###. Your implication that their horns play better because their drill is easy and poorly designed is way off base. I think PR moves faster than BAC....they just don't integrate guard as well,, or for that matter, make better pictures or transitions.

If this was BD or the Cavaliers, then I could maybe see your point....but historically, with 5 2nd place finishes, I wouldn't say PR has gotten the benefit of the doubt, not even against corps that have not won a title (lost to Crossmen at Finals in 1992, lost to BK in 1999 and 2000, etc)

If BAC and BS are better come Finals, they will beat PR. Simple as that. There is no conspiracy, and PR is not being kept above those two corps just because they are the defending champion. They are above them because they are scoring higher in certain areas. Now, if we start seeing PR beating those two in GE Visual and Visual Ensemble, you could have a reason to complain.

Frankly, PR's hornline and drums are worlds better than BAC or BS. That's just my opinion. But it has been historically backed by numbers.

I saw PR show in lawerence the other night. PR show is well below from other years. They still have a talented group of people and as always a good corp. I disagree with you on show design and movement Boston dose have a better over all show and the only other corp that moves as fast threw out their show is HNC. Just my opinion