Parents

What is the reasoning for not marching corps?

Money?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't give up. Find out why they are against it and stay patient and calm while speaking to them about it. I thought my son was crazy! He is a viola player...why would he want to be in a drum corps?

My son was you last year. I had very little idea what drum corps was until he asked me to take him to the Orlando show to see a friend perform who was in the HNC guard. I sat and watched and even enjoyed myself, all the while wondering why all these people around me were so fanatical about really loud marching bands.

After a year of marching season, winter guard and drum corps auditions, my son is having the time of his life and I could not be more proud.

What was his secret? He tricked me! No, seriously, he took it one step at a time and as I watched him overcome each barrier, or achieve another goal along the way, I started to hope for it for him.

I now know that they are NOT really loud marching bands, they are so much more!

Good Luck!

Ok, so heres the scoop. I am dead set on wanting to march Jersey Surf (nearest corp to me). My parents on the other hand want no part of anything drum corps related. So, is there any advice that would get my parents to, not nessicarily let me march, but to get them to understand my desire to march?

Please contact me. I am a parent. My child's first Corp experience last year was with surf. The most family friendly Corp. He is playing with another Corp this year. I actually emailed the surf and told them I missed them because they are so inclusive of parents and they take great care of members. My email is kasepva@aol.com

Tell them it's a military academy with horns and drums and rifles that don't shoot instead of ones that do. What parent can pass that up? :lol:

Seriously, there's so much to learn here to help you, read it all. And have your parents get on this board with you. And subscribe to FN so they can see the end result.

You'll make it. Just show them how badly you want it and how far you're willing to go to attain excellence.

If you would also like a member's perspective to help your parents understand what to expect, I marched in Surf 2004, 2005 and aged out with them in 2006. Feel free to email (LucysLogic101@netscape.net) or PM me.

Tell them it will keep you out of trouble and you'll learn skills that will help you be a better person and make lifelong friends.

Remind them also that it will keep you out of their hair all summer being "bored." :thumbup:

My parents didn't want to let me march either. I was consumed with marching Crown after my senior year (96). Eventually, they relented and ended up having a great time volunteering and such. I just so happened to receive the news right after my high school finished warming up for our final competition of the year. My advice is to be persistent, and if money is the issue, send out your inquiries, there are ways around it. The one thing you should not do under any circumstances is give up. If you have that strong of a desire to march, then that's probably where you belong.

My parents didn't want to let me march either. I was consumed with marching Crown after my senior year (96). Eventually, they relented and ended up having a great time volunteering and such. I just so happened to receive the news right after my high school finished warming up for our final competition of the year. My advice is to be persistent, and if money is the issue, send out your inquiries, there are ways around it. The one thing you should not do under any circumstances is give up. If you have that strong of a desire to march, then that's probably where you belong.

This is a great idea. The parents in the corps need to know the reluctance so that they can show them that it is not only great from the members perspective, but from the parents' as well. The benefits of marching far outweigh any issues that they could possibly perceive.

I'm not a parent, just old :thumbup: ....but it seems that it would be helpful to know their concerns....how else could you address them?

I agree here. If you know their concerns, perhaps you could have them discuss it with the corps staff upon their return. Most of the time, they are very approachable. My daughter started with The Academy at 16, and she was one of the youngest members of the corps. We allowed her to stay with one of the corps members during the summer, and she was perfectly safe and ended up getting an award for being "Most Improved" member of the guard.

Drum Corps is the BEST youth activity, educationally, musically, and life skill building. No "Camp Wannalauahoohoo" :worthy: can even come close. Any parent will tell yours the same, no matter what corps their sons or daughters are with. If money is the issue, that's why you look for sponsors. My daughter got almost $1000 in donated sponsorships for her fees this year, and you could mow some lawns and clean some leaves this fall to earn your fees... perhaps that would help them identify that you are dedicated to it.

I am encouraging ALL my kids to be a part of it, and I will help them any way I can. My 2nd (will be 16 then) is due to audition for 2010 with The Academy, and daughter will be in her 3rd year with them.