Allentown Bridgemen Encore Complaint

Too long?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Is 20 minutes too long for a noncompeting corps encore?

• Yes
    • No

i'm talking about the part where they were invted to say it to a corps member's face acting as if alumni marchers had the corner on being offended.

I remember being invited to re-state my opinion that woodwinds sounded "whiney" to some college marching band woodwind section once. This cuts both ways.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, do you think B-men should have learned a different show just for DCI East?

No Sir.

I didnt even have a problem with it.

but it is easy to have an abbreviated performance if thats what your asking. You dont need to learn a new show.

They stand and play for most of the program and alot of it is also "Schtick". (Again, i dont care that they do it, but if you need to shorten a program, thats an easy way to do it).

For the record, I didnt have a problem with it. My response is that the OP has a valid point that sometimes, post show exhibitions can go on a bit long. (not just this, but others)

In anycase, the thing works both ways here.

the DCP "thing" is to come on here and bash the Blue Devils and Cadets until we are blue in the face. Fine. Someone doesnt like it, they voice it.

People constantly come on DCP to rant about corps they hate for doing an 8 minute show that they didnt like. In this case, Someone expressed an opinion about a show thats twice as long as the average show, and everyone has a fit. Relax!

Potatoes, PotAHtoes.

As for the running member of Carolina Crown...

I had absolutely no idea what he was doing. I was watching the two DCI Officials for our next cue to move. When all of a sudden a young man came running toward me. I immediately turned around, and told everyone to move to their right. The corps members did this, and the "runner" proceeded through the gate without any problem, nor interference. I still don't know what that was all about. Apparently it's part of their show?

Just want to bump this since we're discussing lack of respect towards the "other side".

Get the feeling that Bridgemen know we're all in this together <$1 to Red Green>

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I sat through the show until it looked like they stopped, then left when they were moving up to the track, went to the bathroom, ran into a bunch of people, chatted awhile and it was still going when i went back in to hear some scores.

I think a POST show performance should only be as long as any other performance personally. (Victory show etc.)

TastyWaves, if you got up during our move to the track then the only song you missed was William Tell, which is about 1:30 to 2 minutes tops, depending on how long we hold out the last note. I think you might have gotten up early than this?

Regardless of how you or anyone else here might feel, I know that if I were on the other side of the field, I'd rather see something that takes up the time that it takes to tabulate scores and check them than sit and twiddle my thumbs or have a giant sno-cone. Judging by the reaction of the people we entertained, I would say that at least 95% of that stadium felt the same way. Performing at Allentown is such a treat for me (and the rest of the corps, I'm sure) because we get to take what we do all year long and present it to fans of this activity both young and old. Yeah, there will be people who won't want to see us, think we played too long, think we should've played this or that, or have some other opinion and you know what? They're welcome to it. As long as I walk off that field and know that I ENTERTAINED someone, then I did my job.

Look at the modern corps... how many shows at Allentown were good? Great? Clean? Fast? Well programmed? Arranged well? How many of them truly entertained you and were fun? That's one of the things this organization is about - entertaining the drum corps audience and doing it the Bayonne way (which seems to work both in Allentown PA and East Rutherford, NJ). Sometimes it's not about the speed, the agility and the 32nd note Mellophone run in Cb - sometimes it's about having fun and being entertained.

Edited by Cadet311

Have you ever sat through the Marine Drum Corps exhibitions? They are like 45 mins (or feels that way) so a 20 minute encore doesn't seem to outlandish! No disrespect to the men of our armed forces intended, but just when you think they are done, here comes another Sousa march at ya!

Our shows were never quite that long, but yes... they are long. Thats why were usually a "pre game" event.

Our announcer who travels with us always tells the line-up of songs, so i dont know why you have trouble knowing when the show is done.

By the way, We end with the Marines Hymn during our march off which was not written by Sousa.

No disrespect taken by the way!

You think its long to watch? Its not any shorter on our end.

No Sir.

I didnt even have a problem with it.

but it is easy to have an abbreviated performance if thats what your asking. You dont need to learn a new show.

They stand and play for most of the program and alot of it is also "Schtick". (Again, i dont care that they do it, but if you need to shorten a program, thats an easy way to do it).

For the record, I didnt have a problem with it. My response is that the OP has a valid point that sometimes, post show exhibitions can go on a bit long. (not just this, but others)

In anycase, the thing works both ways here.

the DCP "thing" is to come on here and bash the Blue Devils and Cadets until we are blue in the face. Fine. Someone doesnt like it, they voice it.

People constantly come on DCP to rant about corps they hate for doing an 8 minute show that they didnt like. In this case, Someone expressed an opinion about a show thats twice as long as the average show, and everyone has a fit. Relax!

Potatoes, PotAHtoes.

Oh I'm relaxed (had yesterday off). Just amazed that people get upset about a show that was a few minutes longer than usual when they sat in the stands a couple of hours (counting rain delay). Just seems that some posters think a non-competing corps should change their show around just to suit them. And I used your post to make sure people got my point, wasn't pointing the finger at you in particular.

Waiting for someone to hit on the 8 minute shows comment. :rolleyes:

OK I'll say it.... Star of Indiana batter make #### sure their show for 2010 Indy hits that 11-13 minute mark AND NO MORE!!!! :devil:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

TastyWaves, if you got up during our move to the track then the only song you missed was William Tell, which is about 1:30 to 2 minutes tops, depending on how long we hold out the last note. That must have been one quick trip and a chat!

One of the points mentioned

Regardless of how you or anyone else here might feel, I know that if I were on the other side of the field, I'd rather see something that takes up the time that it takes to tabulate scores and check them than sit and twiddle my thumbs or have a giant sno-cone. Judging by the reaction of the people we entertained, I would say that at least 95% of that stadium felt the same way. Performing at Allentown is such a treat for me (and the rest of the corps, I'm sure) because we get to take what we do all year long and present it to fans of this activity both young and old. Yeah, there will be people who won't want to see us, think we played too long, think we should've played this or that, or have some other opinion and you know what? They're welcome to it. As long as I walk off that field and know that I ENTERTAINED someone, then I did my job.

Look at the modern corps... how many shows at Allentown were good? Great? Clean? Fast? Well programmed? Arranged well? How many of them truly entertained you and were fun? That's one of the things this organization is about - entertaining the drum corps audience and doing it the Bayonne way (which seems to work both in Allentown PA and East Rutherford, NJ). Sometimes it's not about the speed, the agility and the 32nd note Mellophone run in Cb - sometimes it's about having fun and being entertained.

Okay. Thats cool.

I didnt say anything about all of that. I simply agree that sometimes it goes on long. Im glad you had fun and i enjoyed the portion of your show that i saw.

Most of the modern corps did entertain me actually. I dont compare what they did to what you guys did. Apples to Oranges.

Obviously you guys have a great time doing what your doing. Thats cool. As i stated, i dont have any problem with it whatsoever. In fact, i enjoyed most of it. Just think its long. Some want more, some want less, Same old business on DCP!

Somebody better warn Star of Indiana Alumni to not play too long next year at Indy, lest they #### off some people . . . :rolleyes:

You know, as somebody with ties to both the Bridgemen and Star, perhaps I'll lobby hard for each group to put on a 45 minute show. They could each play some of their own greatest hits, then start branching out into other people's greatest hits, and then maybe play space chords and a drum cadence for about 20 minutes.

Now is the problem with that the fact that it's:

1. Going to take too long to wait to hear the scores, and "my time is so valuable..."?

2. Not exciting enough or interesting enough to those whose drum corps knowledge and experience goes back about 3 weeks?

Sorry, I'm having trouble keeping track of what the actual complaints against the (gasp!) oh-so-lengthy Bridgemen show are.

(And those pesky little Hoosiers have the ability to learn and perform A LOT of music...)