Fun Stuff to do in Rochester?

Things to do it Rochester!! hmm

Go to Ed Reese's house !! thats the ticket :rolleyes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really, for someone with time on their hands... a trip to the beach and Charlotte (Mr. briggs forgot - no R - pronounced Shah - lot) neat beaches great old homes that own private beaches... sand beaches extend about 3 or 4 miles either side of the harbor... original abbots custard stand is there and it's all easy to find... just take Lake Ave/State St. North to the water.

The upper falls off State St.(Lake Ave.) across the road from the Kodak tower are actually a well hidden city treasure... and it gives you a great and nostalgic view of of the High Falls Brewery... maker of such treats as Genny beer, Genny Cream Ale, Sam Adams, Iron City and more....

Finally, George Eastman House is a treat for sure... hard to believe any one person lived like that, but then again... when Edison & Ford were your buddies - you had to be lavish... when you see his office desk, they may or may not tell you that he was sitting at that desk when he blew his brains out. Now, the new parts house the largest movie collection in the world... much of it underground for preservation... always neat photo displays too which change every so often... We held the rules congress there and everyone was most fascinated with the surroundings.

Thank you everybody ...great stuff... although the last time my parents took me to lake Ontario all I can remember were the beaches were full of dead stinkin' fish!. I definitely will have to make a trip to the Eastman house afterwards I TOTALLY dig stuff like that. I may hang out on Monday before i drive up to see fam.

Oh I may check out Finger lakes wine country too, but I have to admit since I live next to Napa, CA I am a little spoiled when it comes to good wine! :-)

When you see his office desk, they may or may not tell you that he was sitting at that desk when he blew his brains out.

Tom, did they clean the desk after that? Reminds me of the Hemingway home in Key West. The tour guide said her piece and mentioned when he passed away, and I asked her, is it true he committed suicide. She stammered and said, why yes, that's true. That's when the tour got real quiet.

Oh I may check out Finger lakes wine country too, but I have to admit since I live next to Napa, CA I am a little spoiled when it comes to good wine! :-)

Way back when, there was a winery there called Bully Hill. Owned by the grandson or son who broke off from his famous family "Taylor Wine" to build his own small empire. The family name on the bottles was crossed out with magic marker at that time. Prolly around 1976 or so. Not sure if it's still there, but it was a small winery with pretty good wine near Penn Yan (SP). Keuka Lake area.

Free samples too.

Maybe it is still there. Here's a link: http://www.bullyhill.com/

Might be fun to see if they tell you that story about that renegade son or grandson. Heh. Maybe he was a nephew, not sure, but it was a big law suit thing at that time.

Edited by gsksun4

Way back when, there was a winery there called Bully Hill. Owned by the grandson or son who broke off from his famous family "Taylor Wine" to build his own small empire. The family name on the bottles was crossed out with magic marker at that time. Prolly around 1976 or so. Not sure if it's still there, but it was a small winery with pretty good wine near Penn Yan (SP). Keuka Lake area.

Free samples too.

Maybe it is still there. Here's a link: http://www.bullyhill.com/

Might be fun to see if they tell you that story about that renegade son or grandson. Heh. Maybe he was a nephew, not sure, but it was a big law suit thing at that time.

Great story might be worth the trip ESPECIALLY if I don't have to fork out big dough for tastings.!

Great story might be worth the trip ESPECIALLY if I don't have to fork out big dough for tastings.!

The walking tour is 30 minutes long and the tasting is also 30 minutes long. Both are free, then you have the option of buying their wines and tasting them out on their front lawn and getting smashed like I did. I was a lot younger then. They also have a quaint little restaurant run by another member of that Taylor family. There's money in dem thar hills.

Good Luck!

Edited by gsksun4

The Niagara Wine Trail is nice as well and not far from Rochester if that is your thing. I just went on it and it was no more than $3 each place. My least favorite place was actually the free one (which was apparently featured on Ghosthunters since the estate is supposedly haunted). We took a limo so we could get a lot in, too. I am not really a wine drinker, but I had a lot of fun.

All right you beer and wings hounds! Check out McGregor's http://www.macgregorsgrillandtaproom.net/default.asp They've got about a zillion different beers and great wings. OR... The Distillery http://www.thedistillery.com/ ...wings to die for.

"Beer and wings are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" Quote: Ben Franklin (kinda)

Wink