Is BDB ready for World Class?

idk, it just... idk you should march with a corps not to gain the ability to march with a better corps that you like more, but because you take pride in the corps you march. that is of course, just my opinion.

The kids in BDB are very proud of their organization and aren't necessarily there because it may give them an edge to get into the "A" corps (by the way is a misconception because they still have to audition). The BDB kids rehearse like a world class corps once school lets out and I feel the staff expects the same results from them as they would from BDA.

The only thing that I can possibly conclude is that marching in a feeder corps may give the member a sense of the organization's staff expectations and teaching style and the organization's marching and music style.

Since the Blue Devils also have a "C" Corps, many of the kids in BDB already have marching and playing fundamentals in place. And in my opinion, BDB produces a quality show every year....in the tradition of the Blue Devils.

Of course, everyone says exactly the opposite come auditions time, telling everyone who got cut to go to another corps so that they at least march the season. In that case, of course theyre marching with the 2nd corps to get good enough to march in the first corps.

There is a big misconception that the kids in Open Class or Feeder Corps are World Class rejects and that really bugs the **** out of me. Some of the kids choose Open Corps over World Class because they may be able to make a world class corps but either have money or time constraints that would make it impossible for them to live up to the responsibility of a World Class contract and they want to have a great corps experience. :blink:

Yes, it's not going to happen because they're a feeder group to 'A' Corps, but would an independent organization performing at the same caliber as they are be ready to move up to World Class?

Yes, BDB or SCVC could move into World Class and be competitive.

Edited by txorchdork013

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked his question years ago, same with SCVC back in the 1999/2000 era. BDB and SCVC could absolutely compete in World Class...but they would "do" very good.

Anyone like myself that sees the first few weeks of California shows knows exactly where these two respective Open class corps stand, right behind the Mandarins and Pacific Crests of the world. If they were to compete under a different moniker, say the Concord Cobalt and Fremont Legionnaires, they would place near the very bottom of the leader board.

If you see a show where BDB and SCVC go on before Mandarins or Pacific Crest, you will notice a steep jump in sound/execution/design.

No disrespect to the "feeder" corps, they are perfect right where they're at and serve a most valuable role in today's World Class organizations.

Ah but it seems that most forget that if BDB were to go World Class...they would also take on a World Class rehearsal schedule. Right now they don't practice nearly the amount of time that WC Corps normally do. Something tells me that they could do considerably better if they added, say, 20 or so 9-9 rehearsal blocks?

Cali.

Agreed Cali. I remember back in '07 going to a late season CA div 2/3 show. It was amazing to see how good these "smaller" groups are late in the season compared to the early season that we in California are so accustomed to seeing.

I think Jersey Surf is a good example of where BDB/SCVC would be currently if they had given it the ol' World Class try.

BTW, I am all for the Open Class champion competing in World Class Quarters. It would squelch a lot of these discussions.

idk, it just... idk.

you should march with a corps not to gain the ability to march with a better corps that you like more, but because you take pride in the corps you march. that is of course, just my opinion.

See, the only problem I have with this statement is, say someone REALLY wants to be in Corps A because they like their shows/music/ideology/etc. They don't make the cut their first year and, at the suggestion of many people including the popular opinion of DCP, they march with a lower Corps B. So the next year does this person try out for, make, and march with their dream corps? Or do they stick with Corps B? I know they might really love Corps B, don't get me wrong, but some of you make it sound like if they went and still marched their dream corps that they're committing some abominable sin.

YES, BDB could definitely compete in World Class...no that is not likely to happen for financial and organizational reasons.

BDB is not just a training ground for members it is a training ground from staff. i want to say John worked with BDB before A and there are a lot of staff around the country that are ex BDB abd even BDC staff.

Now as for the percentage of kids that go up..well that has changed over the years and that is why i think the talent and numbers in BDB have grown as well. In the 80's it was easy for 30 - 50% of the members of BDB to jump to A. However, a large percentage of the members were still from in Concord, there were no out of town auditions, and the average age of the corps was actually younger. Don't get me wrong we probably looked like a bunch of ragged 22-25 year olds, but nowadays the kids are more college aged, when I marched many were still in HS. The tryouts are far more competitive as well. I have a friend who has a son who is pretty good and he has not mad the final cuts for the last two or three years and he is marching again in BDB this year. Oh an on that note there was just one cut when I marched, Now it is like a pro sports team where there are rounds of cuts. I would say if 10% move up now that is being generous. I could be wrong. I have no hard statistics, so I am making a guestimate based on tall the factors.

Competitively, I'd see them in the midst of that battle between Scouts, Crossmen and Spirit- THIS year. Hard to predict on other seasons.

BDB's colorguard is no where near the standard of the lower end of WC top 17. I think that would hold them back from being competitve with Scouts, Crosssmen etc