94 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a blu-ray player?

• Yes
    • No, not until they are less expensive
    • No, but I plan on buying one this year
    • No, but I plan on buying one next year
    • No, but I plan on buying one in 2+ years
    • No, no interest in ever getting one
  2. 2. If you had the option, would you purchase dci Finals on Blu-ray?

• Yes, regardless of cost
    • Yes, but only if they were similarly priced to the dvd version
    • Yes, but only if they were less than 150% of the dvd's price
    • No, the dvd version is fine for me
  3. 3. Do you own a high-definition television?

• Yes - 720p
    • Yes - 1080p
    • No, standard definition

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. I answered "Yes regarless of cost" ... But after thinking about it, the real answer is:

If people review the DVD's and say that some of the corps are completley drowned out by the over-amped pit, (as has happened in multiple seasons since pits began being amped) then I will do exactly as I do now. Which is keep my money for the years that are badly produced/amped/managed.

I love drum corps. LOVE IT! But I am not going to pay money for Blu-ray or DVD of any year - regardless of the price - if the audio is completley FUBARed in the quest to give a couple of guys in the pressbox a manipulated sound balance.

To me, it's interesting that many of the 1980/90s recording sound BETTER overall than the more recent ones. I've had a couple of unbiased (non-drum corps) audiophile friends confirm this. Does anyone know if/how DCI changed their recording setup to accomodate amplification?

To me, it's interesting that many of the 1980/90s recording sound BETTER overall than the more recent ones. I've had a couple of unbiased (non-drum corps) audiophile friends confirm this. Does anyone know if/how DCI changed their recording setup to accomodate amplification?

I don't know the answer to your question. But in my opinion the audio from the DVDs and live theater events since at least as far back 2004 don't even come close to recreating the sound balance of being in the stadium live. And it seems to me it's actually gotten worse consitently more recently instead of getting better from year to year. Or certainly not changed much.

It baffles me how the audio could have been better 20 years ago. But that's the way it feels to me. Kinda defies what you'd expect right?

I have no problem putting in a DVD in of 1988 Blue Devils and showing it off for a friend or relative - and being confident that it represents an exciting and somewhat authentic representation of what it felt like for me when I was there in person. But when I use recent DVD's, I feel like I have to throw in the caveat that "It's too bad the audio isn't better. The horns and battery percussion really sounded louder in person. This is not really an accurate representation of what it felt like for the live audience. I think the amps for the pit must have been too close to the microphones or something."

Its only a matter of time before DCI will start producing the Finals for Blue-ray (then eventually 3-D :withstupid:). Can't wait!!

I completely agree with your comments about the recording quality. The Ken Rock (I believe?) finals recordings from the 80s - early 90s were amazing. Pop in 88, 89, 90 - holy cow, it's the closest thing to being live you can get. Of course 1995 was an atrocity and 96-98 weren't great either.

What happened? Mic placement? Some of the APDs during the season sound better - less processed and produced - than the finals recordings.

I don't know the answer to your question. But in my opinion the audio from the DVDs and live theater events since at least as far back 2004 don't even come close to recreating the sound balance of being in the stadium live. And it seems to me it's actually gotten worse consitently more recently instead of getting better from year to year. Or certainly not changed much.

It baffles me how the audio could have been better 20 years ago. But that's the way it feels to me. Kinda defies what you'd expect right?

I have no problem putting in a DVD in of 1988 Blue Devils and showing it off for a friend or relative - and being confident that it represents an exciting and somewhat authentic representation of what it felt like for me when I was there in person. But when I use recent DVD's, I feel like I have to throw in the caveat that "It's too bad the audio isn't better. The horns and battery percussion really sounded louder in person. This is not really an accurate representation of what it felt like for the live audience. I think the amps for the pit must have been too close to the microphones or something."

im a YES YES and YES and even a -- dont give a rats behind how much it is...send it on to him!

I completely agree with your comments about the recording quality. The Ken Rock (I believe?) finals recordings from the 80s - early 90s were amazing. Pop in 88, 89, 90 - holy cow, it's the closest thing to being live you can get. Of course 1995 was an atrocity and 96-98 weren't great either.

What happened? Mic placement? Some of the APDs during the season sound better - less processed and produced - than the finals recordings.

It's funny you say that because whenever I think about this issue, the one show that comes to my mind as a standard in drum corps recording is '89 SCV. I also think most of the 90's recordings were pretty nice. 1992 was rough, but otherwise I don't have any real complaints with DCI recordings until 2004, when big hornline hits started to seem muted... :bluedevil:

I remember begging my parents to buy a DVD player because that was the first year they put out finals on DVD. It was awesome of course. Naturally if they start making Blu-Rays kids will complain to their parents to get the Blu-Rays. You have to figure they'd cost about 150 though, comparing normal dvd prices to blu-ray prices.

I just got a laptop for school with Blu Ray and I would be pretty happy if the first thing I watched with it was a drum corps show :)

Blu-Ray....Aren't they a World Class Corps? :smile: