Historical Druming style

Feel free to go to the "site that shall not be named" and enter this into the search bar:

Lancraft Old Timers 1963

I think you'll enjoy what you find. :unhappy:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lancraft Old Timers, good stuff!

It was much more fun than I thought it would be. I'm a band director and still play quite a bit, so I was in pretty good shape. But playing along with my students is not the same as playing next to Dr. John Wooton. The chops weren't the issue as much as memorizing music again. I hadn't done much of that the past 12 years.

We had 13 snares, 5 tenors and 5 basses. Some as old as me through guys that marched in the early to mid 90's. We mixed in with the current drum line for the encore in Hattiesburg which was an awesome experience. Those young guys can really play and were rock solid. They played one of Marty's old cadences with us and we did 1812 with the full corps. What a rush to play with that incredible horn line. They also played Elsa's with us still mixed in, which was weird, but very cool. What a great bunch of kids and what a great attitude they had about doing this with us. We rehearsed with them for about an hour earlier in the day and they were very cool to be around. I felt 21 again. Then the next day I felt 84 instead of 48.

I think we will do it again next year and hope to include keyboards, brass and maybe even color guard. I can't wait to get that drum on and play some more. We are already planning what we are going to play. What can I say. Men never grow up, we just grow old.

Did you not do the alumni thing with 27 back in '94? I saw that on the simulcast and loved it. I was a big fan of 27, even when I marched PR. Didn't like losing to you guys very much, but always thought they were great. Hated to see them leave the activity.

Kevin

Yeah, I imagine I could get my chops in shape even on traditional, given a month. But memorization, that's where my problem would be too. At 43 sometimes I feel a little forgetful! (No offense to the older dogs in this thread!) I would have loved to do 27th in 94, but I live in Japan. I'd have had to uproot and go live in Boston! Though, that's one of the most emotional shows to me, to see my marching mates and instructors in that huge drumline. 27 snares! I get so choked up, I am sure I'd be beside myself if I had marched.

Nice to hear Rod Goodhart mentioned in your post. In my opinion, he was the greatest drumming judge I have known in the activity. When you played clean and musically, he gave you props. But if you were dirty or played without control or dynamics, he was tough! One of the very talented guys to come through the Air Force Drum & Bugle Corps (along with, I believe, Bosworth and Flowers).

Somewhere I have a judging sheet signed by Rod Goodhart with some note of praise, from our 1984 season. We were very clean, probably because we worked so hard on a hard book in 1983. Its effects were positive, and lasting. His comment was really a prized possession that summer, because we knew him as a tough but fair judge.

Rick - This is a great post! The variety of styles and sounds across the top corps when we marched was wonderful. SCV under Fred Sanford, Ralph Hardimon, and Curt Moore really perfected the "tap space double" style, which had the effect of sounding like the "meat" of the 6 and 7-stroke rolls was accelerated, when if fact it was mathematically correct. My own favorite all-time drum line was the '79 Vanguard, in which every segment of the line was #1 that year. Etobicoke, Spirit, and BD under Tom Float also played the mathematically correct style, but perhaps with a higher wrist turn (and using scoops). Bridgemen played the opposite style rolls, literally slowing them down at times, but perfectly clean. Watching them warm up at prelims in 1982 was mind blowing. Freelancers and Phantom used the Ludwig Hi-Volume snares (cut outs), which produced a sort of "hum" (less crisp than BD or SCV's sound), but which really projected from anywhere on the field.

The variety also extended into tenor lines, with 3-4 types of drums being used across the top 12 (Slingerland Cut-a-Ways, Ludwig Power Toms, Rogers standard cylindrical shells, etc.) Some lines went for total legato tonality (witness the '79 Guardsmen, who tuned their Cut-a-Ways very loose and achieved perhaps the loudest quad line sound in the history of drum corps - literally every note in the show could be heard live and in the recordings). Others went for a more staccato sound.

The pre-Kevlar years were great! Except for a head pulling just before the start of a show!

You marched in Freelancers in 1983? That was a great show! Yes, I totally remember the "hum", and thanks for giving me a way to describe the tap roll style. Tap-space-double. I loved the tenor sound Regiment got in the early 80s - the tenor accents were nicely layered in with the other parts - very loud. Good stuff!

You marched in Freelancers in 1983? That was a great show! Yes, I totally remember the "hum", and thanks for giving me a way to describe the tap roll style. Tap-space-double. I loved the tenor sound Regiment got in the early 80s - the tenor accents were nicely layered in with the other parts - very loud. Good stuff!

Great thread-cool insights Rick!

Fred Sanford did a clinic with GBV in 85 and the first thing he worked on was the style of roll interpretation-which we played in a very East Coast, Bridgemen like slow, open style. Also, I remember rehearsing on field near the Cavies in 83 and there were still remanents of the older, looser style in their approach-at least it seemed so to me.

Marty Hurley and Dennis DeLucia are power guys also. Both students of Bobby Thompson I believe.

Not sure about Dennis, but I know Marty played for Bobby Thompson in those great mid 60's

Blessed Sac drum lines. Marty is one of the purest exponents of the Thompson style of drumming.

Sorry I can't seem to post it here (some problem with the format, I think), but for anyone who's interested, here's a link to a photo of Mr. "T."

http://www.dreadeddrummer.com/bobbythompson.htm

Look at that big wrist turn, graceful height of rise, and beautiful straight left forearm. The curled pinky completes the look - classic east cost style!

regards,

Fred O.

Not sure about Dennis, but I know Marty played for Bobby Thompson in those great mid 60's

Blessed Sac drum lines. Marty is one of the purest exponents of the Thompson style of drumming.

Sorry I can't seem to post it here (some problem with the format, I think), but for anyone who's interested, here's a link to a photo of Mr. "T."

Look at that big wrist turn, graceful height of rise, and beautiful straight left forearm. The curled pinky completes the look - classic east cost style!

regards,

Fred O.

Dennis marched one season with the Dumont Police Cadets under Mr. T ... He's a very accomplished set drummer but didn't have big snare chops.

Great thread-cool insights Rick!

Fred Sanford did a clinic with GBV in 85 and the first thing he worked on was the style of roll interpretation-which we played in a very East Coast, Bridgemen like slow, open style. Also, I remember rehearsing on field near the Cavies in 83 and there were still remanents of the older, looser style in their approach-at least it seemed so to me.

I would have liked to have met him. Funny, Rob Carson of SCV fame came to 27th in 1984 and tried to change our roll interpretation. It messed us up so we went back to what we were good at. I always liked the relaxed roll style, but of course BD and SCV have always had excellent lines.

regards,

Fred O.

Good stuff drumno5. He looks great! Is that a recent picture?

Bobby%20Thompson.jpg