Historical Druming style

In 2004, the Cavaliers had a reunion of drummers from all eras. We got together at the elementary school in Rosemont and played all afternoon. Larry McCormick was there and he heard a number of his solo's being played for the first time in decades. It wasn't publicized but spectators were welcome. Markovich's plane was delayed but he made it to the microbrewry down the street for post percussion rehydration. Mitch showed up with a 60's vintage snare drum in an old fibre case. He played some of his individual solos until patrons in the main part of the restaurant complained because they couldn't hear the canned music. Mitch still plays in the classic "Connecticut Style" and its a thrill to watch. The notes are so open and articulated and the beauty of those arms and hands in motion are still imprinted on my memory. I met Ken Mazur at the restaurant. He was taking stacks of notes gathering a historical record from the 60 or so drummers going back to the 50's on up to current (2004) members.

I managed to videotape the afternoon festivities and it has been burned on to a DVD and most of the participants have a copy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, gonna rant for just a sec...

Fred Sanford was a genious and it was a privilage to play his music and know him. With that being said, it was Bob Kalkofen, formerly of the Troopers, who developed the style that SCV used to much success in the early to mid 70's. It was he who had the back ends of the sticks cut off so the snare drummers could play closer to one another.

Just thought it bore mentioning since I never see his name mentioned in connection to those great lines.

Phew...thanks, I feel much better. :rolleyes:

I love Fred and wish he were still here, but I thought (thought) that whole school came from a Moeller kinda' angle. Snap at the wrist. Thought so, anyway.

We cut our sticks too but for balance reasons. Do you remember those tenor sticks--hollow copper colored aluminum with a black grip and hard felt beater? Had a rubber counterweight inside you could position up and down the stick? I think everyone used them by '74. We took the weights out, cut the back of the stick off at the ring and added metal tape to the upper portion. Then outer tape for looks. Talk about custom. Got the sound we wanted though.

Do you remember those tenor sticks--hollow copper colored aluminum with a black grip and hard felt beater? Had a rubber counterweight inside you could position up and down the stick?

Made (or marketed, anyway) by McCormick's Enterprises of Arlington Heights/Chicago, IL. Any relation to Larry McCormick, the famous midwest drum guy?

Fred O.

Made (or marketed, anyway) by McCormick's Enterprises of Arlington Heights/Chicago, IL. Any relation to Larry McCormick, the famous midwest drum guy?

Fred O.

I bet it was either McCormick's or Ludwig, I can't remember--they were standard for a few years--great sticks once you doctored them!!

I'm really enjoying reading this thread and learning about the different styles. Being "raised" on the SCV/BD, (minus matched-grip), playing or attacking high was not something I ever had to do. However, after marching in a Float line, the two height "style" increased my chops by leaps and bounds. Higher attacks, lower taps and fast. :rolleyes: It's very cool to have both Tom Float's and Ken Mazur's book's of exercises!

I bet it was either McCormick's or Ludwig, I can't remember--they were standard for a few years--great sticks once you doctored them!!

As I mentioned earlier, I don't know who manufactured them, but they were definitely sold under the McCormick's label. I think they made them in both wood and hard felt.

The "standard" snare drum stick of that era was the Ludwig 3S, either in solid hickory or laminated. The hickory stick had a wonderful, solid feel; the laminated model was remarkable for its consistency of weight and texture. Any one out there who used something else?

Fred O.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't know who manufactured them, but they were definitely sold under the McCormick's label. I think they made them in both wood and hard felt.

The "standard" snare drum stick of that era was the Ludwig 3S, either in solid hickory or laminated. The hickory stick had a wonderful, solid feel; the laminated model was remarkable for its consistency of weight and texture. Any one out there who used something else?

Fred O.

Yes! I remember the wood ones, we would get mole skin and sort of build up the felt on one side of the wood beater--had to keep you sticks in one position, couldn't rotate in your hand--actually kinda' sucked now that I think about it!!

3S is the only one I remember for snares. The McCormick snare stick was good, I don't remember model # but it had that softly tapered bead, had a real good feel to it.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

Promark 3S...the band was towards the end...always taped the bead end for weight.

Promark 3S...the band was towards the end...always taped the bead end for weight.

Oh yeah, OK. but I always liked the feel of the Ludwig, which were made of hickory, over the Promark (japanese oak, I think...?) Remember for a while when people were using those Pro-Mark Rob Carson (DC-11 model, I think) sticks, with the rounded end and no bead? Talk about exposed - yikes!

regards,

Fred O.