Historical Druming style

The "standard" snare drum stick of that era was the Ludwig 3S, either in solid hickory or laminated.

And Frank Arsenault himself, when not out doing clinics or schmoozing with visitors in the front office at 1728 N. Damen, was out in the factory running a lathe and making those sticks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

drumno5 said:

"The 'standard' snare drum stick of that era was the Ludwig 3S, either in solid hickory or laminated."

Aaaah! Ludwig 3S Laminated! I loved those sticks! What a wonderful rebound feel they gave you. The sticks felt 'alive' in my hands because of the flexible feel the layers provided.

After Ludwig stopped making them a company named 'Master' produced a copy for awhile, and then the early DeLucia sticks were like them as well. I still have some unmatched and damaged sticks from broken pairs of both Ludwigs and Masters, but sure wish I had an original pair.

Oh yeah, OK. but I always liked the feel of the Ludwig, which were made of hickory, over the Promark (japanese oak, I think...?) Remember for a while when people were using those Pro-Mark Rob Carson (DC-11 model, I think) sticks, with the rounded end and no bead? Talk about exposed - yikes!

regards,

Fred O.

Yeah, I loved those DC10s. They were good if you were a matched grip line. They are still being made, but something's different. A real obscure on is the DC 17 which was the DC10's big brother. Man those sticks were a handfull and more.

http://www.promark-stix.com/products/view....32-53e3fe328bc1

drumno5 said:

"The 'standard' snare drum stick of that era was the Ludwig 3S, either in solid hickory or laminated."

Aaaah! Ludwig 3S Laminated! I loved those sticks! What a wonderful rebound feel they gave you. The sticks felt 'alive' in my hands because of the flexible feel the layers provided.

After Ludwig stopped making them a company named 'Master' produced a copy for awhile, and then the early DeLucia sticks were like them as well. I still have some unmatched and damaged sticks from broken pairs of both Ludwigs and Masters, but sure wish I had an original pair.

I've got a pair! I picked up a pair of both hickory and laminated 3S's on Ebay (that pot-luck goldmine of old treasures) in the original bags - blue Ludwig script logo for the hickory and red, with the word "lamo" - hahaha, lol - for the laminated pair.

They must be late vintage (mid/late 70's, maybe?) as they are a little different on the back end, cut straight rather than with the rounded butt end that I remember. But you are correct, the laminated sticks feel just great, marvelously responsive. I only use them on a pad; I don't want to nick them up with rim shots or shred the beads on a hard surface!

regards,

Fred O.

And Frank Arsenault himself, when not out doing clinics or schmoozing with visitors in the front office at 1728 N. Damen, was out in the factory running a lathe and making those sticks.

I walk by the old Ludwig Factory often--it's condo's now and the front has been re-bricked so, unless you look closely at the shape of the building and not the cladding, you wouldn't even know it was a manufacturing center. Kinda' sad but stuff changes. The building is 3 blocks from the small, private garage where one of the St Valentine's Day getaway cars was stashed. Right after the massacre the car, a Cadillac, was driven into the garage and one of the gang proceeded to dismantle it with a welding torch--until he reached the spare gas tank in the engine (Cadillac!!) and blew himself and the car up. He survived, split, and didn't get caught. Garage still stands today. All this from a drum stick?

Sorry I'm :tongue:

I was reading Building the Green Machine and there was a quote from Frank Arsenault where he references "Connecticut-style open drumming". Any old (or new) percussion guys out there know what this is? Is this the same as Swiss rudimental drumming?

The full context of Mr. Arsenault's statement is that he is arguing with a judge in late 50's as to why he scored the Black Knights higher than his Cavies as the Black Knights didn't use Conn. style. Anybody know what style the Knights used.