Terrible Sound in Lucas

Just my experience at the other dome venues. SORRY!

Why are you saying the sound is good, when you weren't even at the stadium??

Honestly, I question the authenticity of the posts on here who say the sound was "fine." How is a 7-second-echo THROUGHOUT an entire show "fine"?

One of my friends sitting next to me last night got defensive and said it wasn't "that bad" (he loves the cushion seats and doesn't want to lose them). I said to him, "OK. Tell me when you're able to hear ANYTHING from the bass drum line, in ANY corps." He never did.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It says in the DCI.org FAQ about Lucas Oil that the reason is not that DCI is becoming an indoor activity, but rather finals "can never be rained out." How many times in the past have finals been rained out? Once? Never? I understand its a concern but I don't think something like this, given its rarity, should be DCI's answer to a hugely legitimate issue.

AND! On top of the bad acoustics, DCI (or somebody) charged about $7 more per ticket for walk-up tickets the day of the show. I had pre-ordered semi's and finals' tickets, but wanted to walk-up and see the quarterfinals in a different section. $25 tickets were $32 on Thursday, $35 tickets were $42. Highly questionable sound and high ticket prices doth not a success make! (And I am generally NOT a complainer!) At least the seats were soft.

At least the seats were soft.

So I am to assume that even with the mark-up, you still paid? In that case, good for DCI. They correctly predicted that tickets were worth at least $7 more to you than what they had previously been charging.

I have only read the first couple pages.

Folks, the sound was abysmal. I sat in several different sections (we moved about since there were empty seats everywhere--thank the lord for elevators). The farther you move out from the 50, the worse it got; however, anyone who says the sound was okay is taking some form of narcotics.

This was the absolute worst listening venue I have ever been in (I grant that I have never been in a closed stadium before). I honestly do not know how these shows can be judged fairly or accurately.

I have sent DCI an email informing them I would not return again if it at Lucas and the roof is closed.

AND! On top of the bad acoustics, DCI (or somebody) charged about $7 more per ticket for walk-up tickets the day of the show. I had pre-ordered semi's and finals' tickets, but wanted to walk-up and see the quarterfinals in a different section. $25 tickets were $32 on Thursday, $35 tickets were $42. Highly questionable sound and high ticket prices doth not a success make! (And I am generally NOT a complainer!) At least the seats were soft.

Isn't the $7 the basic Ticketmaster fees? You have to pay those whether you order through Ticketmaster or the ticket office.

And for those that have already ordered for next year. If you're not happy, then contact DCI and tell them to cancel the order. If a few hundred or a couple of thousand do that, I bet they would start paying attention.

Edited by CasualFan

You may think that I sound a little cranky about my last post. I am actually restrained a bit.

I stayed out very late last night whooping it up downtown, and was standing on the sidewalk waiting for a taxi when the holy trinity (Lord Acheson, Lord Potter, and Lord Rondinero) came strolling out into the evening air. Perhaps because I had a few too many gin and tonics I decided to go strike up a conversation with them. They were polite, but not as enthused to be alive as I was. I expressed my excitement about the Troopers to them, and again I don't think there were quite as enthused as I was.

Perhaps they weren't in the mood for partying because they were grouchy that the acoustics stunk...

...at least I hope they were.

So I am to assume that even with the mark-up, you still paid? In that case, good for DCI. They correctly predicted that tickets were worth at least $7 more to you than what they had previously been charging.

Yes, we paid and watched. Having seen our son in only two other competitions all summer, we wanted to see quarters, too. It's just that we were banking on a certain price for tickets. It's not so much that I'm quibbling about $7, but when you combine the acoustics problem with high ticket prices, you may see more empty seats at Lucas, especially for quarterfinals, in years to come. We -- and other corps member parents -- may be content to watch warm-ups on Thursday night (saving some cash) and sit back and enjoy the semi's and finals in the soft seats and AC of Lucas...hopefully, with improvements made to the acoustics for drum corps!

You should have gotten a picture Granny!

MIKE

Isn't the $7 the basic Ticketmaster fees? You have to pay those whether you order through Ticketmaster or the ticket office.

It was a day-of-the-show issue, not Ticketmaster, from what I understood. That is, had I walked up on Wednesday to the Lucas Oil ticket office, I would have paid $25, not $32, for the quarterfinals' seats. Maybe someone else can confirm this??