I Think I Am Done With This

I watched the Quarters in a theater and I cannot believe what has happened to Drum Corps. It looks to me that it should be relabeld the Xylophone and Dancer Corps. Who the hell gets goose bumps from a freaking marimba solo? And now drum lines are taking off their snares and dancing and prancing about with the color guard? Come on, guys! What the hell?

Yes, some of the drill is still #### impressive but most of the shows seem stale. The moment that made me want to turn away the most was when one of the top 12 corps had their cadence playing over the loud system as the corps left the field but the drum line just marched off silently. That was so unbelievably disgraceful.

And the interviews after each Corps are all with the dancers, not with the Drums or the Bugles. No thanks.

Will the last mincing Forest Ballerina that leaves the stadium please turn off the lights.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasnt at the Imax down in Nashville to watch it, I was in Band Camp up here at Siegel, sounds like a disapointment, but um if you were preaching a sermon id give you an AMEN. I agree that that is disgraceful

I see a big change in shows too. We all knew things were changing but I can't help but feel that the majority of shows are very BOAish in design. Don't get me wrong though, I think the level of execution is at an all time high. It is great to see corps all bunched together. At the same time I just felt like there were gimicks left and right. I enjoyed almost all of the top 12 shows but can't really consider them all in the league of DCI anymore.

Thanks, Marching Trumpet.

Now people, admit it, the part of the broadcast in the theaters that got the goose bumps up and the eyes misty were the Classic Moments clips that showed the most memorable shows from each Corps past history.

The Blue Stars Classic Moment from 1979 - Children of Sanchez - brought a big smile and watery eyes for me.

There were not many moments like that from this year.

I think this is funny in a way.

Us "older DC people" have been talking and complaining about these changes for years and now the younger DC people are seeing it too.

Ya, my patience is certainly being tested. The amp's and recently added synthesizer's are over powering the horn line more and more every year. I think it shows a fair amount of disrespect to an entire section whose importance is becoming more and more diminished with every season to a point where their worth is now being judged on their visual importance rather than their musical. This is what DCI wants and this is what the kids want. And so shall it will be.

I get goosebumps from a marimba solo.

Nah, that's just 'cause you are sitting beneath the AC vent at this INDOOR competition. :bluedevil: