What Did You Learn Musically During the Season?

i learned amps cranked to 30 gets you a 19.2 in ensemble music

Yeah but did it vibrate your ### enough to lose any weight? :doh:

basically if anyone doesn't know fingerings, we are all happy to help that person along.

I was in a great HS band program, but I learned more about music in my first summer of drum corps than I did in my years of school up to that point.

I learned that if a corps: 1) Takes a well-known piece of music.

2) Plays it as the composer intended it to be played.

3) Couples it with a visual program inspired by the show's namesake.

4) Performs it all with grace, style, musicianship, and precission.

Then:

5) They don't need to be moving at 220 bpm.

6) They don't need a musical "hit" every 20 seconds.

7) The judges will "get it".

8) Crowds will absolutely love it.

Thank you SCV for giving us a classic show that will be spoken of for years to come.

Many kids at Pioneer had to learn to play the instruments from nothing...just like the old days :thumbup:

Donny

Many kids at Pioneer had to learn to play the instruments from nothing...just like the old days :thumbup:

Donny

Donny, we gotta meet sometime. :devil: Closest we got was at outside at the Forum this year but you were working with MSJ at the time.

I actually signed up just so I could post in this topic, because I have a pretty unique vantage point to share.

Whoever said that the synth book wasn't very challenging was both right and wrong. Just technically, if I were playing it in a solo recital, it was 90% stuff I could have played after 2 or 3 days of memorization and rehearsal. There were patches that were more challenging, but nothing extremely high-level. What I did get this summer was a crash course in attention to detail and playing with an ensemble. I'd never seen anything like the level of excellence that our pit techs and members (and really the whole corps) strove for. I'm not a mallet player myself, so seeing the level of scrutiny that went into their height system, and getting comments from the staff on the rhythmic accuracy of as much as 2 or 3 sixteenth notes in a fast run was really impressive. Unfortunately, there was no one there really qualified to "tech" the synth, as it were; they could work on my rhythm, but it was up to me to try and improve my technique. The amount of scrutiny I saw from everyone else inspired me to try and be a more meticulous player, something I've always felt is my weak point. Going along with that, I'd never played with an ensemble this large, so there were all sorts of new challenges: listen to x section, don't listen to y section, play slightly behind so-and-so, etc.

Cliff's Notes: As a synth player, I gained very little in terms of piano technique but I made up for it in spades with learning how to scrutinize my playing and how to listen more precisely.

• Thanks 1

I don't even think amp balance is even being taken into account for ensemble music (or at all on the sheets).

well it is on the sheet...the sheet has been posted here

Yeah but did it vibrate your ### enough to lose any weight? :thumbup:

no...the preshow tailgate ruined that for me :devil: