What would happen if...

What would happen if DCI made a rule for 1 year that all performing corps had to perform one of their shows from the 1970s (or if they didn't compete in the 70s, their best show of the 80s) next year. With today's amazing talent and the shows crowd appeal back then, I can't imagine what those shows would be like today. Can you see today's talented musicians and performers doing Blue Devils 76 show (my all-time favorite show BTW)?

Require them to use the old videos and their huge musical staff to create exact replicas. Put them all in the uniforms of the day (not guard uniforms that don't go with the corps at all like today) and I bet that those stadium seats would be filled to capacity.

I want to add the comment that I love today's shows but I have a huge soft spot for the musical shows of that era and would absolutely love to see them again.

Edited by bearz

I would take the year off because I don't find 70s shows to be entertaining.

No offense to the older generation of marchers, but I agree with this statement. Doesn't really do anything for me.

talnet is down this year, still better than the 70s but this is a very weak year

wat

Oh. Talnet.

May I suggest sticky tacky. Holds up better than tape.

Edited by Stealthwolf

Well I don't think the talent is better today, the shows are just a ton more demanding. You take the kids fron the 70's and 80's and give them the shows you are doing now, with the same rehearsal time and the same knowledge from the staff, you would have the same result. There are some great snare drummers out there right now but guys like Scott Johnson, Tom Float, Rob Carson and Ralph Hardimon were not too bad either. Look at Garfield in 1984, that was a very modern drum corps show by todays standards and they played and marched the hell out of it when nobody was doing anything like that.

Some of this is already happening... Spartacus, Ballet for Martha, and West Side Story are all from "back in the day" with a modern twist... and they have been successful. I am not a fan of making corps do this though. I find the majority of shows entertaining.

Depends on what show you throw at them.

In terms of difficulty, Cadets 84 would probably still be considered a really hard show by today's standards. Not only are they booking it for almost half the show, but they've also got two of the most ridiculous mello solos in DCI history in terms of exposure and range.

Also, getting high mark time execution down is NOT as easy as it looks.

Depends on what show you throw at them.

In terms of difficulty, Cadets 84 would probably still be considered a really hard show by today's standards. Not only are they booking it for almost half the show, but they've also got two of the most ridiculous mello solos in DCI history in terms of exposure and range.

Also, getting high mark time execution down is NOT as easy as it looks.

It doesn't look easy in the least. lol

I'm actually fairly glad my time in corp was in the 90's. I really don't like high mark time. I'll do it, but I can't imagine performing an entire show in it.

Shows would sound better..possibly...cause they would have to be playing 2 valve bugles or v/r's. All corps did high mark time all the time. I think that the rifle's today would be the biggest no go. I don't think most of the rifles today could stand up to the weight of teh older equipment and the work IMHO. The biggest factor would be the TIC judging system which would change everything they did.