Carolina Crown's Missed Opportunity to Win the Championship.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OOOOOkkk... so let's just forget the fact the Finals hasn't even happened yet. AND, I hardly thing that placing third in Visual and Visual GE is "struggling." I understand how much you want them to win, as I want SCV to win but automatically assuming they will not get Gold? C'mon now. Drum Corps is one of the only sports, in my opinion at least, where a "team" does not have to be champion in order to be remembered. And I bet you anything that this Crown show will go down as one of the most memorable this season.

I 100% agree.

<snip>

But please let the visual designer go.

I completely, vehemently, 100%, as vociferously as possible, disagree.

I think Leon's design is absolutely top-notch. It's championship-caliber design for sure, IMO. Blue Devils are just a bit better this year, which isn't something they can really control.

Drum Corps is one of the only sports, in my opinion at least, where a "team" does not have to be champion in order to be remembered. And I bet you anything that this Crown show will go down as one of the most memorable this season.

I also agree. In my list of favorite shows of all time, only about 1/3 of them are championship shows. Maybe not even that many. In fact, some of the most influential shows were not "champions", either. I'm going to wear the CD out on this one, whether it finishes 1st or 5th.

This is Crown's best corps in their history. Being less than a point out of first going into finals is a tremendous feat.

By all means, let him go. I can think of about a dozen or so corps who would fall all over themselves to sign him up. Be careful what you wish for.

I agree. Letting Leon go would be the worst move Crown could make. Extended success like BD, HNC, & Cavaliers have comes in large part from the long term stability and growth of their design team. I see many of the same faces walking on track with BD that I saw twenty years ago.

Crown has a very nice show. They need to bring something a little more original to the table though. As I listen to them, I think about when Cadets did that, Cavies did that, SCV did that, etc.

If there were a couple more eeks to the season, this is a show that would defiitely beat BD, but probably get nosed out by HNC due to the visual package.

Oh Crown is fifth in Visual performance?

It must be the design team-- lets fire them!

Instead, why not blame the Cadets, the Cavaliers, the Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard for being a little better in visual.

Of course the Cavaliers are a little better at visual --they use their horns as guard equipment mostly.

ITS A HUGE HONOR FOR CAROLINA CROWN TO WIN BRASS--which they will do, and they deserve to win that caption. Carolina Crown has a great show--a very memorable show that's sure to be famous for years-- and guess what-- they're gonna get 2nd-- gee that's never happened before--

Your point about "leaning into sets" is valid-- I don't think that's what makes the marching look dirty--the ambitious drill design--a lot of hit and move, no hit and stop-- but what really makes them worse visually is that they are busy playing their horns. That is not a design flaw! I like the idea that the most effective thing you can do with your horn on the field is to BLOW through it

(Final note: If Carolina Crown's kids are as classy about getting 2nd as the Blue Devils were last year, you may see them winning the championship next year)

I dont think any changes to the staff (faculty :cool:) need to be made at Crown. And I wouldn't exactly say that their visual program is "struggling." While its not perfect, its still pretty freakin' good! The more difficulty the program has, the harder it will be to march clean (sound familiar HNC fans?), and therefore more dirt. Drum corps 101. I'm just excited that they're in medal contention this year! No matter what happens tonight, all eyes will be on Crown next year to continue their climb in DCI. :tongue:

As a former member of Crown, I have been thoroughly impressed with their show concept this season. I think it is arguably (and knowing the tendency of Drum Corp planet, people with argue) the most difficult show being performed this year. I also believe they have the talent to win the World Title. However, talent alone does not a champion make. Crown is struggling visually and has all season. This is not the fault of the members' ability to execute. It is the fault of the visual designer. There are just too many parts of the drill where the members are leaning into sets and don't have the time to properly move from set to set. If you recall, Star of Indiana used to use the leaning into set concept of marching in their visual performances. Such a style is sloppy and very little can be done from a members' perspective to correct it. Therefore, Crown will lose this year because of visual design flaw, which is a staffing issue and not a member execution issue. After having said what I have, I want to say GO CROWN!!!! I will listen to this show for many years to come with pride that your brass line is the best and your percussion is strong. But please let the visual designer go.

You my friend are drowning in green Gatoraide. I promise you that the Cadets will pass Crown on finals night, leaving them in third. Don't get me wrong, I love Crown this year, very entertaining. But not nearly the demand of what the Devs and Cadets are doing.