DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

Please don't speak for your average joe blow fans. I can appreciate your opinion, but many people loved BD's show including me. I also felt their show was quite innovative. Why don't you just come out and say you are pi##ed off Crown did not win because they are your favorite. Who cares if they lost percussion, GE, Guard and visual. They judges should have just ignored execution and design and given the gold to Crown because you are a fan. I am sorry the judges hurt your feelings. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Um, I liked BD's show... I was simply saying it isn't earth-shattering, groundbreaking, activity-changing, etc. such as Star '93 ended up being in retrospect. I just can't see anyone (well, ok, the majority) looking back on this show in 15 years and referring to it as the show that changed DCI. Star changed DCI whether fans like to admit it or not.

Not sour grapes, just comparing the two eras.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I liked BD's show... I was simply saying it isn't earth-shattering, groundbreaking, activity-changing, etc. such as Star '93 ended up being in retrospect. I just can't see anyone (well, ok, the majority) looking back on this show in 15 years and referring to it as the show that changed DCI. Star changed DCI whether fans like to admit it or not.

Not sour grapes, just comparing the two eras.

Well, while I might agree with you, we have no idea the impact this show will have on the future of the activity.....

Every corps could use chairs next year, or every corps drill design could incorporate different degrees of presentation other than using your two feet .....its a wait and see thing.

G

Just have to comment on the "moving chairs" comments that have been made. I watched a number of BD rehearsal blocks, and they had to work incredibly hard to make sure that each of those chairs was left in precisely the correct spot.

When you watch the DVD, look at how many times they had to march or even run backward toward and alongside those chairs, often blind. If you don't like the use of props, that's fine, but you'll have to admit that the PRECISE placement of those props to allow high-speed movement (while playing complex music!) was impressive.

Thank you. I've tried pointing that out -- and also how difficult it is to actually climb up onto a chair, carrying a brass instrument or drum, stand on it and play well, all without tipping the balance of the chair -- but that doesn't seem to get a whole lot of attention. Much easier just to complain about "sitting and playing" all show long. :doh:

Edited by byline

Well, while I might agree with you, we have no idea the impact this show will have on the future of the activity.....

Every corps could use chairs next year, or every corps drill design could incorporate different degrees of presentation other than using your two feet .....its a wait and see thing.

G

Well, ok.. I can agree with you on that.

I really can't say I'd enjoy the direction of the activity though if everyone used chairs. :)