DCI World Class 2009 Finals Thread

An undeserving 1.5 point spread. 99+? Really? Reaaalllyyy? Come on judges, give them what they deserve. There is absolutely no reason they needed to be placed into the 99+ category when anything in the low 98's would have still placed them first.

And they did deserve it. When you are even just SLIGHTLY better at nearly EVERYTHING, those points start to add up.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And they did deserve it. When you are even just SLIGHTLY better at nearly EVERYTHING, those points start to add up.

I'm pretty good at moving chairs too. I bet I could play a horn for 7min too!

I'm pretty good at moving chairs too. I bet I could play a horn for 7min too!

Does the score really make a diff ? Placement is where in counts when it comes down to a championship like this.

Does the score really make a diff ? Placement is where in counts when it comes down to a championship like this.

When it crosses the 99 point line, yes. That is a line that unless your show was perfect, had jaws on the floor and the crowd on their feet then ENTIRE time, then no. Think Cavies '02.

And if placement counts... then they could have received anything in the low 98's and still been placed first. :)

Edited by CrownRoyale

Don't feed trolls, guys.

It was a great competition. Let the sour grapes ferment on their own.

Not sure if you were aiming the troll comment at me... ?

An undeserving 1.5 point spread. 99+? Really? Reaaalllyyy? Come on judges, give them what they deserve. There is absolutely no reason they needed to be placed into the 99+ category when anything in the low 98's would have still placed them first.

Yep, only Cavies and Cadets deserve 99's, not those big, bad, mean Devils that had the gall to go undefeated and then prevent the real champs from winning. :doh:

More word just in, there was a drop in BD guard. Can one drop affect a perfect guard score?
I dunno... can a drummer drop a stick, have it picked up and handed to him by a judge, and the drumline receive a perfect score?
no but they can have ensemble issues and get a 20 ( 1987)

Make that "yes, and they can have ensemble issues and get a 20 (1987)" and I'll be right there with ya. ;-)

Scores are relative to other corps, not perfection... have been for some time. Plenty of examples (as jnj points out :) since the tick went the way of the dino.

Make that "yes, and they can have ensemble issues and get a 20 (1987)" and I'll be right there with ya. ;-)

Scores are relative to other corps, not perfection... have been for some time. Plenty of examples (as jnj points out :) since the tick went the way of the dino.

Agree. Absolute scores mean nothing when they are subjectively awarded. Has any corps performance in history really EARNED 99th percentile? No way in my opinion. But to complain about BD getting it and not recalling the others who have been there before (HNC and Cavies) is silly. BD was totally dominant this year. In the wonderful world of contemporary drum corps (no ticks, synths, electronics, singing, half-baked retreats, Bb horns that aren't bugles, movement uber alles), expect dominant corps to be awarded 98s and 99s.

I look at the drumline fall this way (and this is what i would say to the man if I met him). While its true that the fall may have cost a few tenths, and maybe a placement, it is no different than a failure in show design, or a brass frack, or a drop, or playing out of tune, or anything else. When someone misses a shot at the buzzer to win the game....everyone always talks about how they missed the shot. I always think that if the team had been playing better for the first 40 minutes, they wouldnt have been in that position. There are a lot of things that went into the cadets placement (which by the way, who really cares about 2nd vs 3rd)....some are things they control (the show design, the performance), and some they cant - the performance of others. Those 3 tenths they lost by could have been made up by a more favorable GE panel, a different vis perf guy (they were 1st in quarters), or any number of things. To act like one thing swung the show like that isnt only foolish, its almost arrogant....