Records Broken TONIGHT!

Semantically speaking, it is true.

Put it this way, if you started a calendar right now would it be August 9th, 00? No, it would be August 9th 01 (year number 1). Thus the 10th year would be the final year of the FIRST decade, NOT they first year of the second one.

But I lived 1980, it had much more of an 80's feel to it than 70's. Plus it works better for the BD "consistently champs" angle. :tongue:

I'm not arguing that 1980 is "part of the One-Hundred and Eighth decade," (I guess it's not... I'll give you that)... just that it is a part of the group of 10 years we refer to as the "1980s" in our culture. The significant thing is not how long it has been since someone started counting time, but what the year actually is. That's why we celebrated when the year changed from 1999 to 2000... changing all four digits is much more significant than changing just one (from 2000 to 2001).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Couches instead of chairs.

Probably plaid couches too, with plastic covers... :::Barf:::

If this the case, does that mean SCV has one more shot at this decade?

Edited by skajerk

here's a kind of "out there" one:

Crown joined Crossmen as the 2nd corps that hasn't won a championship to beat everyone on finals night except the Blue Devils at some point in their history...

I think.

edit: "everyone" = currently competing corps

Edited by soccerguy315

I think we've learned that they do have one more shot at this decade, but not at the 2000s. How does that make you feel?

Even better, if the Blue Devils win one more next year, that would put them "even" with the Cavies at four championships each (and sorry Cavies, no threepeat either, only two in a row for the decade for you!), with higher placements in off years to boot...so could you REALLY say that the Cavies were the corps of the decade? :doh:

Semantically speaking, it is true.

Put it this way, if you started a calendar right now would it be August 9th, 00? No, it would be August 9th 01 (year number 1). Thus the 10th year would be the final year of the FIRST decade, NOT they first year of the second one.

But I lived 1980, it had much more of an 80's feel to it than 70's. Plus it works better for the BD "consistently champs" angle. :doh:

It's a semantic argument that will always be present but doesn't make sense.

The scientific community will always hold onto the Gregorian calender ref arg and assert the 1-0 accuracy. Biz, media, and common joes will continue to be just fine referring to cardinals like '70s, '80's, and '90s fully aware that the 1st decade, for ref sake, gets short-changed to only 9 years... unless, of course, there's an argument to be won asserting otherwise. :doh:

Edited by SomeOtherJoe

1st time that BDB and BDA have won their respective classes in the same year. Out of two hundred possible points between the two, the total score of both was 95.500 and 99.050 = 194.55. Highest total of an A and B corps in the same year.

Even better, if the Blue Devils win one more next year, that would put them "even" with the Cavies at four championships each (and sorry Cavies, no threepeat either, only two in a row for the decade for you!), with higher placements in off years to boot...so could you REALLY say that the Cavies were the corps of the decade? :doh:

I would say so, yes. (from a cadets fan, but I really liked those early years)

I am now really excited that SCV has another chance! --- so does cadets at the every 5 year thing! Battle royale!