RIP Mass Brass

Man, I feel old now. I marched when drum corps was drum corps. I didn't think I was that old.

LOL I hear ya there. :doh:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was absolutely repulsive. I felt like I was at WGI, too, and so did literally everyone around me. Who knew DCI would work Lady GaGa and the Black Eyed Peas "tastefully" into finals? Cheesiest garbage ever.

Agree. Where were the Marines?

Tonight, for the first time in I don't know how long, there was no mass brass performance during retreat. No America the Beautiful, no Champion's Fanfare, nothing. Do you think they're taking a break due to last year's fiasco, or is it gone for good?

I was introduced to mass brass back in 2000 at DCI East. All I can really say about this experience is

WOW

Just the power from the brass alone was amazing and the arrangement of America/O Canada was breath taking. Shenanigans from last year was terrible, but it should be no reason to end, what I feel is, a great tradition.

You, then, are one of the guys who probably goes to the instrument manufacturer booths in the Marketplace and picks up every trumpet and cracks a double-high G on it or rips off every solo from last year's Finals.

Guys like you are also the ones who hold over the high notes at the end of America/O Canada (or whatever the flavor of the day is) and are ultimately the reason it was done away with.

:doh:

Well, dci isnt exactly stopping corps from playing each other off the field, are they?

I remember Phantom in 06 playing Elsa's to the Cavies.

I guess I missed the memo; what fiasco happened last year??

The same fiasco that happens every year from every corps, but's more fun to pin on the Blue Devils because we don't like them very much.

Perhaps it's time to bring back the old retreat....Each corps has 5 minutes to play themsleves off the field, honoring the champion, then the field belogs to the winner...

It always seemed to me that the Mass Brass thing took longer than the old retreat anyway....

Yup, that sounds like the way to go. A quick two or three minute standstill and a cadence. Like taking a bow. The corps all have extra material nowadays since they all get a shot at encores at some point. If time is a factor then start earlier. I am not trying to be old school, but if you are going to do a retreat then at least make it worth the time the audience and performers spend on it.

I cannot say I am a fan of the Massed brass thing. It was interesting maybe for the first two years, but after last year's fiasco it was pretty much dead to me. Each corps playing one last time and saluting the champion sounds like what I want to see in a retreat.

In full disclosure I always hated retreat as a performer, but really miss it as a fan. Probably the right decision for the local weeknight shows, but should be a part of the big regionals. The kids need to do one or two a year before being expected to do it with any semblance of order on the big night.

Oh, and thank the maker that the Mass Brass lives to fight another day. See you in September at DCA!

Geez, does no one have a since of humor?

I wasn't at finals last year but I imagine it was pretty funny and besides, they have been working hard in a very controlled environment all summer, drum corps is pretty high pressure stuff so I don't really have a problem with kiss-offs, over blowing or hanging over here and there. Hell, it's their performance, let them do what they want.

BTW, I'm not a fan of the "mass brass" thing, I like the old retreats (playing off the field) much better.

thats sounded terrible....TERRIBLE!!! I don't care the arrangement at all and the shenanigans was just the icing on the cake.

What happend was awful, but completely dumping mass brass wasn't the best answer.

I missed the memo too but just found the 'tube video. OMG that was disrespectful and totally bad taste. Whoever did that should be ashamed.