Concerns with direction

After watching Friday and Saturday at Lucas Field I have some things which concern me about the direction of the activity especially visually. I am amazed that a group that spent over half the show sitting in chairs would win and in fact recieve several perfect numbers in visual captions. My understanding of how the system is set up is that the groups are judged on what they do in combination. I would think Blue Devils should be able to play very well since they seldom marched and played together. Same can be said for Carolina Crown and farther down the pile Phantom Regiment. Honestly I thought there was a case for Phantom to not be in finals. I realise a 9 place drop from a championship season is substancial but I am not sure with out thier name they would have even stayed in finals!

Unfortunately I think DCI is following in the foot steps of BOA which has had a band that placed first one year and second the next that seldom marched and depended largely on electronis. I really do not think this is the direction we want to go. I would have thought all of Cadets Cavaliers and Vanguard would have been ahead of both Cadets and Crown and that Glassmen, Blue Knights Troopers and Colts could have been ahead of Phantom.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on this. This is not intended to defame or promote any specific corps

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you get older you will eventually realize that it's more than just visual that drives the scores.

Correct, it's the color guard!

*runs and hides* :doh:

your post doesn't make much sense.

Unless you're saying Crown had an easy visual program or one that didn't work, because if that's the case, then you're quite wrong.

Look, I'm not a Crownie, I'm not really here to love any specific corps... I just call it like I see it. Was I frustrated by the fact that BD won with a less demanding visual program than anyone else in the top 4? Sure. But they did what they did EXTREMELY well. Crown and Cadets, despite both having very difficult visual programs, were just dirty in places. Plain and simple. Vanguard is the only corps I think may have a chance at feeling affronted right now, because like BD they were conservative, but rather clean.

I could go into the whole Phantom thing, but I think they placed where they should have.

Hopefully they are not doing to DCI what they did to WGI. WGI is now danced focused and color guard second. Where some people will argue that they like WGI, alot of us left the sport because of the new direction it took.

Edited by Benchmark

As you get older you will eventually realize that it's more than just visual that drives the scores.

Actually I am not suggesting visual is the only thing to look at however my understanding is that all the scores are based on what a group does in combination. With limited times that the horns played any thing meaningful while moving, the hors should sound very good. Yes Crown was dirty but they also did not have the full group drill responsibilities of the other top 5 minus BD

With limited times that the horns played any thing meaningful while moving, the hors should sound very good. Yes Crown was dirty but they also did not have the full group drill responsibilities of the other top 5 minus BD

? ? ?

Actually I am not suggesting visual is the only thing to look at however my understanding is that all the scores are based on what a group does in combination. With limited times that the horns played any thing meaningful while moving, the hors should sound very good. Yes Crown was dirty but they also did not have the full group drill responsibilities of the other top 5 minus BD

I guess we weren't watching the same show then. Crown most certainly had "full group drill responsibilities", moreso than some of the other groups around them.

Edited by IMcomguy

After watching Friday and Saturday at Lucas Field I have some things which concern me about the direction of the activity especially visually. I am amazed that a group that spent over half the show sitting in chairs would win and in fact recieve several perfect numbers in visual captions.

(...snip!) This is not intended to defame or promote any specific corps

Of course not!

Why would anyone think that? :doh: