Fix Retreat

After attending 2 DCI shows this year, I went to DCA this year for the first time in over 20 years. I was much more entertained and it cost a ton less. I'm not putting down DCI but the sr corps seemed to be more in touch with the paying customers.

QFT !!!!!

Edited by Perry S

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate enough to be able to be on the field for this, and I have to admit when I saw the smoke going everywhere at the gate I burst out laughing. My fellow members around me felt the same. Its was the cheesiest thing we had ever seen. The hip, cool music was useless as well. Out of all of the retreats I have done this one was the biggest let down. DCI hyped this stadium for 2 years now and it's finally here and I felt like I was rushed in, put in my place, waited quietly as scores were announced, and then quickly rushed out. Not to mention crowd response was less than impressive. Overall, I felt like I was part of a beauty pageant or a lame high school remember when ceremony during the whole event. I hope DCI does things differently next year because if there was ever a retreat I can realistically see myself never remembering again, it would be 2009. So for this retreat I give DCI a hearty BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I sincerely hope that DCI officials were at Rochester, NY last weekend at the DCA Championships and saw how retreat should be done...ALL corps coming onto the field together, to a drum cadence (thanks Empire!), trooping the stands (to a well-deserved standing O). The only thing missing that I would like to have seen was that they didn't get to play themselves off, either. In any case, all corps left the field marching off as a corps, not milling around and walking off when the spirit moves them, and the entire field was cleared and ready for the encores in about 10 minutes. To the poster that said that DCA was more entertaining and cheaper, I totally agree but that has been the case for a number of years. The Governaires (DCA Class A champions) performed exactly the type of show that most DCI Open class corps should be performing, not something that is over the performer's capabilities and out of touch with the audience. The audience ate it up and it was obvious that the Govie's loved performing it. Open class corps especially should be trying to get more butts in the seats, playing what many of them are playing is not accomplishing that. There are very clear reasons why DCA is growing by leaps and bounds and DCI is either static or declining slightly each year...wake up DCI, your survival depends on it!

I sincerely hope that DCI officials were at Rochester, NY last weekend at the DCA Championships and saw how retreat should be done...ALL corps coming onto the field together, to a drum cadence (thanks Empire!), trooping the stands (to a well-deserved standing O). The only thing missing that I would like to have seen was that they didn't get to play themselves off, either. In any case, all corps left the field marching off as a corps, not milling around and walking off when the spirit moves them, and the entire field was cleared and ready for the encores in about 10 minutes. To the poster that said that DCA was more entertaining and cheaper, I totally agree but that has been the case for a number of years. The Governaires (DCA Class A champions) performed exactly the type of show that most DCI Open class corps should be performing, not something that is over the performer's capabilities and out of touch with the audience. The audience ate it up and it was obvious that the Govie's loved performing it. Open class corps especially should be trying to get more butts in the seats, playing what many of them are playing is not accomplishing that. There are very clear reasons why DCA is growing by leaps and bounds and DCI is either static or declining slightly each year...wake up DCI, your survival depends on it!

LOL...your signature logo (with an added shako and trumpet) would be the perfect image of a majority of the DCP population! :tongue:

There is always going to be those vets that remember how "they did it", and for them, straight ahead drum corps with no newfangled concepts is the way to go. I completely agree with your thoughts on retreat, but DCI is taking the activity to new places and I, for one, think it's definitely the right direction.

LOL...your signature logo (with an added shako and trumpet) would be the perfect image of a majority of the DCP population! :tongue:

There is always going to be those vets that remember how "they did it", and for them, straight ahead drum corps with no newfangled concepts is the way to go. I completely agree with your thoughts on retreat, but DCI is taking the activity to new places and I, for one, think it's definitely the right direction.

Sorry, I was a drummer...and if I could figure out how, I would certainly add the shako and a drum...