Fix Retreat

Of the eight "kids" I talked to about retreat, approximately zero loved it. They also said they didn't know anyone else who loved it, but knew plenty who hated it. Maybe I need a bigger sample size . . .

I'm sure people will come on and say "I talked to 5 kids, I talked to 8 kids" whatever the number it is what it is. I have confidence in the fact that DCI will change/fix what didn't seem to work. I just think people need to grow, just like the activity seems to be.

It was an amazing season and we should not loose track of that over something like this is my main point.

Congratulations to all the corps!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan Acheson mentioned at the Friends Of DCI Breakfast on Saturday morning that they were working to appeal to the "alumni", meaning the RECENT alums, the younger crowd, to build for the future. This is what happens when a 50-something orchestrates an appeal to 20-somethings. It's never pretty....

More like "Boom-boom.... Barf !! "

AJMHO

someone should tell him that most recent alumni cannot pay to fly across the country, 3+ nights in a hotel, and $300 for tickets to the show for 3 days.

I bet the majority of recent alumni who are there get in for free by volunteering with their old corps.

I heard a rumor from a member that there was actually a more organized retreat scheduled involving corps playing their respective corps-songs, but the directors all met sometime between Quarters and Finals and that changed to the shorter version. There was a problem caused by a certain director who threw a ####-storm and changed it to the shorter version. (I think there was still going to be a a video and fog stuff regardless)

They mentioned names of certain directors causing the problem, but I don't think it'd be right to spread rumors involving specific people.

So has anyone heard anything of this? Take it with a grain of salt either way.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

I heard a rumor from a member that there was actually a more organized retreat scheduled involving corps playing their respective corps-songs, but the directors all met sometime between Quarters and Finals and that changed to the shorter version. There was a problem caused by a certain director who threw a ####-storm and changed it to the shorter version. (I think there was still going to be a a video and fog stuff regardless)

They mentioned names of certain directors causing the problem, but I don't think it'd be right to spread rumors involving specific people.

So has anyone heard anything of this? Take it with a grain of salt either way.

so 1 director can control what DCI does?

Dan Acheson mentioned at the Friends Of DCI Breakfast on Saturday morning that they were working to appeal to the "alumni", meaning the RECENT alums, the younger crowd, to build for the future. This is what happens when a 50-something orchestrates an appeal to 20-somethings. It's never pretty....

More like "Boom-boom.... Barf !! "

AJMHO

Like RadioShack's new "THE SHACK!" campaign. DOA.

What ever the original "plan" was, what we saw was enough to say it missed the mark. "Rock" music, smoke or fog and the mixing up of reading scores and awards took alot of the steam out of it for me. We were up in the 600 block of seat with a huge mix of corps parents, ex-members and such and the general comment was that retreat should have been more traditional. There was a serious amount of money spent in our section on tickets, hotels, sovies, food etc, and I overheard more than a few saying this was their last DCI if it keeps going more of the same. I would have to put myself in that group. But complaining on DCP is not what is needed here but letters and emails directly to DCI is. If they don't want to listen to the fan base then let what ever happens...happen.

I'll hold any comment on the stadium itself until I see and hear the DVD/CDs. Stadium was fine...sound is suspect. I have a audio of 76 DCI North at the Silverdome and it is one of the worst recordings in my collection. I hope 09 is not the same.

Kemo

Edited by KemoLondon

I thought the singing of the National Anthem at the end of each show was silly and really interrupted the flow of the shows. It would be like a drum major saluting at the end of their show instead of the beginning.

What show is doing the national anthem at the end? I've only heard it at the beginning.