Fix Retreat

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay....I've never posted here but thought I would reply to this post.

1) I WAS at Indy for all 3 days. I enjoyed the corps shows very much. I was on the 50 yard line in the 19th row. So hearing and seeing were awesome.

2) I paid $911 for those seats to bring a person to the show who had never been to a DCI show EVER!!! Her only experience with marching music was her high school marching band and we both graduated in 1981.

3) One of the things that I had told her about was the finale and how each corps played something when they were leaving for the last time. She was very excited to hear those songs because some of those songs are the same arrangements we played in high school. She was extremely disappointed not to have the chance to hear those songs as I was.

4) I don't give a crap about DCI feeling the need to shorten the show. That was it. Finals night was the last time those kids would perform those shows together. That was the last time we as fans would ever see/hear any of what was done. Would it hurt anyone to let it go on a little bit longer?

5) Whoever the director was that didn't want the other corps to play their song on the field should be fired as director of his corps. The fans would stay to hear those songs and the fans of the winning corps would have stayed to see them play one last time too. I know I would have. And I didn't exactly like the placement at finals either. Thought some corps got ripped big time. But that director ruined the end of one of the best finals I have ever seen.

6) Next year....I'm going to DCA. I won't spend that kind of money for those seats to be cheated at the end of the season. There won't be a chance to hear drum corps live again until next summer. But DCA has the right idea about entertaining the fans. The Alumni Spectacular is a brilliant idea. If you want to hear great music played extraordinarily well you should check out the Mini Corps. Not very big but MAN....can they play.

So it doesn't really matter to me what DCI does about the finale. I thought it sucked. I wanted my goose bumps and never got them. Don't get me wrong....I thought all the corps performances were amazing. I can't even imagine playing and marching some of the things they do today. Not what I did back in the early 80's. I do hope that DCI will let the corps play a song. Battle Hymn by the Troopers after 23 years out of finals would have been so sweet. So many others I could name off but the list would be too long. HAHAHA. I just want to see a good show. See finale the way it should be as a tribute to EVERY corps and every kid that played on that field. Not just the champs. The champs will get their moment to shine. They can play all night if they want to as far as I am concerned. But give each corps a few minutes to share a special moment with each other and with the crowd. It seems only right.

Tom I respectfully disagree with you on this one. This issue is not something new, its been growing over time and I think it is safe to say that this year it finally came to a head. They tried something different and it didn't work, and now DCI has it's back against a wall and needs to to something to fix it for the long term. Becuase this has been an issue for the past several years, I think this forum belongs to everyone. It will take action by the community to address these issues, not just the people who attended this past years show. It's difficult to know if someone is speaking from their experience this season, last season, or others. Regardless, we should all have a voice... well, maybe not ALL of us... lol

From every indication I have (since first authoring this thread) the board is discussing how to fix things. I have had some communication with a few DCI folks who have said there are some serious discussions internally about this and the sound issues at LOS. But before they announce what they are going to do, they need more time this fall to study solutions. From what I can ascertain, the sound issue is number one on their list. Give DCI a bit of a break, as it's probably going to take a few years to get all the kinks worked out with the new building. As for retreat, they are listening and I get the impression they know it sucked. I think by the spring we will here about how they plan on attacking these problems.

I agree with everything you said. But, I take as grain of salt what people might say who did not see this themselves. I will comment on the show next year...WHEN I SEE IT.

I do expect the show will be improved because Dan and crew are really all fans first and fan comments matter to them.

I agree with everything you said. But, I take as grain of salt what people might say who did not see this themselves. I will comment on the show next year...WHEN I SEE IT.

I do expect the show will be improved because Dan and crew are really all fans first and fan comments matter to them.

:tongue:

The excitement and emotion of retreat, and watching the corps members knowing it is their last show, and possibly the last time they will see mates as they leave the field , has been stolen ! It has been eradicated by those who are perhaps a bit self serving. Maybe they have a date, maybe they feel that once scores are in it is the end of the deal. Well, a large percentage of those in attendance do not give a #### about scores , high brass, high visual etc, or even who wins! They are there to see the spectacle, the color, music , and wonderful presentation that these corps give...

Flashing lights smoke and the like can just as well conclude a demolition derby, or a weight lifting exhibition. Why in the world , when you have all of the young high level talent on the field at one time , does finals not let the kids play out their allegiances to their friends and to their corps? It was great to see the top placing corps salute the twelfth place corps as it passed by for the last time.........

To those that have to be somewhere else, and do not have time for a ceremony that has been a custom in drum corps(before you arrived) then please go, and do not bother to come back with your ego, or bad vibes......

It has been eradicated by those who are perhaps a bit self serving.

:worthy::tongue::worthy::tongue: :tongue:

Not that we don't see that here on DCP do we? :tongue:

The excitement and emotion of retreat, and watching the corps members knowing it is their last show, and possibly the last time they will see mates as they leave the field , has been stolen ! It has been eradicated by those who are perhaps a bit self serving. Maybe they have a date, maybe they feel that once scores are in it is the end of the deal. Well, a large percentage of those in attendance do not give a #### about scores , high brass, high visual etc, or even who wins! They are there to see the spectacle, the color, music , and wonderful presentation that these corps give...

Flashing lights smoke and the like can just as well conclude a demolition derby, or a weight lifting exhibition. Why in the world , when you have all of the young high level talent on the field at one time , does finals not let the kids play out their allegiances to their friends and to their corps? It was great to see the top placing corps salute the twelfth place corps as it passed by for the last time.........

To those that have to be somewhere else, and do not have time for a ceremony that has been a custom in drum corps(before you arrived) then please go, and do not bother to come back with your ego, or bad vibes......

Amen... winner!

6) Next year....I'm going to DCA. I won't spend that kind of money for those seats to be cheated at the end of the season. There won't be a chance to hear drum corps live again until next summer. But DCA has the right idea about entertaining the fans. The Alumni Spectacular is a brilliant idea. If you want to hear great music played extraordinarily well you should check out the Mini Corps. Not very big but MAN....can they play.

After attending 2 DCI shows this year, I went to DCA this year for the first time in over 20 years. I was much more entertained and it cost a ton less. I'm not putting down DCI but the sr corps seemed to be more in touch with the paying customers.