Drum line body movement and strutting

No strutting, thank you. If you're going to be tough, be tough---don't strut and look like you're asking the audience's permission to be tough.

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

I know I haven't seen everything, but the few times I've seen movement from drumlines they're typically not playing the hardest stuff. The 2 years I have seen Devs do movement personally (2007 and 2009) they do simple roll patterns. So, perhaps my aversion to the "movement" is the lack of technical demand while doing it. Maybe that's others too.

I like Crossmen '92 for example. That drumline threw down. They played the drums. And they grooved. You don't seem to see that anymore.

I know I haven't seen everything, but the few times I've seen movement from drumlines they're typically not playing the hardest stuff. The 2 years I have seen Devs do movement personally (2007 and 2009) they do simple roll patterns. So, perhaps my aversion to the "movement" is the lack of technical demand while doing it. Maybe that's others too.

I like Crossmen '92 for example. That drumline threw down. They played the drums. And they grooved. You don't seem to see that anymore.

Boston had a nice old school throwdown/groove section in their drum solo. it touched my heart

One gripe I sort of have which is semi-relevant to this topic.

I love the Blue Stars, I really do. But what was with the hornline movements during the ballad at (I think) the impact, where they were (I think) in circles? The kind of body movement they were doing was maybe appropriate for an opener (indeed they did have some during the opener) but was not appropriate for a ballad at all, IMO. It looked extremely awkward being part of the ballad. In general, that move gets overused (Crown does it a lot too, I remember them doing it in their 06 opener and maybe this year too).

Why? How did that movement improve the package?

OK, I guess this stuff started in WGI, and I don't have a problem with that. What bothers me is that everyone is doing it, and they're all doing the same things. Squat, stand, turn right, center, turn left. rock back and forth on each leg...face it, there's not much more to it than that.

Is this part of the "vocabulary" for visual now? If so, I'm over it. It's repetitive, and does nothing to enhance anybody's show if they're all doing the same thing.

Also, the drum lines that finish a lick, accent the release with a drop-hand duble-stop, then strut? What are you strutting about? You're supposed to play it clean. If you play it dirty, are you going to slink off and hide?

Please, I don't need an "in your face". I need you to act like you're supposed to be good. You don't see Yoyo Ma strutting around after he nails a cello solo.

Garry in Vegas

i agree with you completely. I don't mind those moves during drum breaks but like u said theres not much u can do besides what u stated.

I agree, if you don't like the way Drum Corps is now, then why do you go to shows?

heard this response many times