Drum line body movement and strutting

While I agree that something "new" is always awesome to watch in drum corps, like some of the visuals in crown and boston (not necessarily talking about drumline body movement), I still enjoy watching the body movement. Bluecoats and their drumline features, especially the first feature added a lot of entertainment value to me, and if they just stood there, or maybe marched forward or something, it would be way less entertaining. Same goes for most of the other corps, I like seeing the movement as opposed to just watching the sticking.

i dont mind some of this. but it's overdone and all looks like they watched the same WGI video when they design it

it's over done...just as much as a really slow triplet double-stop (Gad....how many of those did we hear in 07??)

Eighth-note triplets at the end of any perc feature should be against the rules. They're REALLY cool breaking up the black page, but they always feel out of place at the end. Especially when the next number is some double-time thing. It really makes the perc feature feel like something unto itself and not an actual part of the show.

"Hey, triplet double-stop. Finally, drum solo over. Back to the show. Woo hoo!"

So, yeah, I'm with you on that one too.

Edited by Gaddabout

watch music city mystique's 2007 show, and tell me that body movements can't add to an overall visual package.

that one didnt look generic. most others seem like the same ole same ole...like a required set of body moves done for the sake of meeting the reuirement

I agree. And color guards are all the same. Toss a rifle in the air. Toss a saber in the air. Spin a flag. Run around with your toes pointed and a concerned look on your face. It's been done for years and years now. It's redundant and repetitive and does nothing to enhance anybody's show if they're all doing the same thing.

There's a certain amount of truth to what you say, but there's a difference between the limited and repetitive movements the drum lines do and how color guards vary the use of their equipment throughout the show. I'd say the same about guard members who cop an attitude about catching something they're supposed to catch in the first place.

Thank goodness for ladders, chairs, picnic tables, sewing machines and a door.

Not a big fan of too many props.

Seriously though, does anything make you happy?

74 Cavies made me happy! :doh:

Perhaps a theatrical representation of slave girls being pulled by the hair and thrown to the ground on a football field is what you'd like to see.

Not if it's being done by everybody. (Regiment bashing? C'mon...)

If you don't need "in your face" drum corps I bet you don't like company fronts.

Only if they jump and shout and high-five each other when it's done.

They're not original. Perhaps a battery of 9 snares, 5 quads, 5 bass drums lacks originality. That big exciting emotional finish from corps after corps must drive you to distraction.

Why all the anger? I just prefer a drumline, or brassline, or guard for that matter, that executes like they should and maintains their cool...like they just did what they're supposed to do. When you guys finished that solo after "Chattanooga Choo Choo", did you posture and beat your chest, or did you just keep on going into "Once Upon a Time" like you meant to be that clean?

I bet you're a fan of INT because they do things no other corps does.

INT isn't a fair comparison. They don't do anything! :lol:

Garry in Vegas

if INT adds generic body moves, i'm done with them :doh: