Copyrights

Who has the copyrights to audio recording of corps? Isn't it DCI? What if the corp folded? What about pieces which are original compositions?

<links removed>

This seller's store has several corp recordings....

<links removed>

Am I missing something? Are these old DCI recordings?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After thinking about it, I'll be making contact as well.

Edited by skajerk

These are probably bootleg copies of finals performances of the years listed, and if so, are likely not legal. DCI retains the copyrights to the recordings, if they made them, as do the composers and arrangers to the writing whose copyrights are being violated here.

All DCI would have to do is complain to eBay and the listings would be yanked. Years ago, I notified DCI about similar products for a different defunct DCI corps. They didn't respond to me, and they didn't follow through with eBay. I'd guess at least then, they didn't care about this stuff, especially with defunct corps whose products they no longer sell (except through Fan Network and Legacy DVDs, but not in this CD format), which is probably what the seller is counting on.

Edited by Peel Paint

Someone said a few days ago that several corps have recorded with Box 5 Productions this summer. I only have one recording by Box 5 (Crown 2007), but it's spectacular, and I'm curious when/where the 2009 shows will be available.

Sorry, I didn't mean to overstep the line. Thanks to the posters who answered my questions. I'll alert DCI and the composer.

Or you could just leave well enough alone. I'm sure the composer wants the exposure.

Or you could just leave well enough alone. I'm sure the composer wants the exposure.

And if he doesn't want the exposure and would rather have his or her rights protected?

How pleasant it must be to live in your world.

I've already contacted eBay and DCI about that link. Call me a party pooper, but law is law, and a composer has a right to income derived from the sale of his work. If the guy on eBay was giving the CD away, I might agree with you....but someone ELSE is making money off of another's work (and not just the composer...but the people who were sound engineers on the original recordings, the people who mastered and recorded the audio, etc).

Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. He probably does.

Wouldn't it be nice if he was allowed to make the decision one way or another?