Standing up too much?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I was raised with the attitude that standing ovations are reserved only for the most special performances, and nowadays people stand for just about anything they like. So how "special" is it, really? Compound that with someone who is trying to enjoy a program, only to have his/her view continually obstructed by a Jack-in-the-box (not referring to the OP, but I've seen this happen in other circumstances), and you have the perfect recipe for annoying those around you.

On the other hand, I also believe in spontaneous response to a performance, especially if it's so joyful as to lift you out of your seat. Lord knows, it happens to me often enough, and as others have pointed out, that transfers over to the performers.

So, like I said, I'm very ambivalent about this. I can see both sides of it.

Edited by byline

Before quarterfinals, Dan Acheson came up to that area and asked those of us in the first rows of 240 (directly in back of the 50 yd line handicap section) if it would be OK for staff to stand against the wall in the back of the handicapped area. We were all fine with staff. However, during quarters and semis - more and more people who had no tickets for section 140 or business being in that area were congregating and standing in the handicap area blocking our view, at some points 4-5 people deep. Eventually, it was so full, staff couldn't get in. I personnally spoke to Dan about this after the Friends of DCI breakfast Staurday morning. During finals, Event Staff came through after every corps and told people to leave.

I was seated in the first row of 240 and you must have been one of the people who were told repeatedly by the "Event Staff" to leave the section and didn't or waited for the Event Staff to leave and come right back. The policeman was absolutey right - there are no seats against the wall, leave the section. Those of us in the first row had only one vocal reaction to the arrival of the police before BD - WHERE WERE YOU 11 CORPS AGO!

I am amazed you are so proud of the disrespect you showed to those who paid to be in those sections, to the event staff and especially to the handicapped.

You are incorrectly asserting that it was 4-5 people deep on finals night. Everyone but staff members were standing up against the wall.

And despite how dramatic you'd like to be, nobody was being disrespected. The handicapped individuals were upset at the amount of yelling by staffs and how the staff crowded up to them in their excitement (not because spectators were 4-5 deep). They showed no displeasure to those of us standing around ten feet behind them.

If you were in the front row of 240, your view was not hindered by those of us standing against the wall.

You are incorrectly asserting that it was 4-5 people deep on finals night. Everyone but staff members were standing up against the wall.

And despite how dramatic you'd like to be, nobody was being disrespected. The handicapped individuals were upset at the amount of yelling by staffs and how the staff crowded up to them in their excitement (not because spectators were 4-5 deep). They showed no displeasure to those of us standing around ten feet behind them.

If you were in the front row of 240, your view was not hindered by those of us standing against the wall.

Hmmm... reading comprehension problems....

I clearly stated the 4-5 people deep were for quarters and semis. That is why it was being addressed during finals.

You are correct in that my view was not blocked by those of you standing againt the wall. It was blocked by staff who were not able to stand against the wall because you and the others were taking the up the space designated for staff only.

If you stood against the wall for all of finals until BD, exactly how many times were you told to leave the area?

Edited by Ed Boxer

Ok, I was at finals last night, and an interesting situation presented itself.

During Crown, at the end of Puck, which was hot by the way, I saw some people beside me standing up to applaud a bit before they started Sensemaya. I was about to do the same, when the lady behind me, politely but firmly told me to sit down. I did so since I did not feel like starting an argument. But then when Crown was finishing their show, when the entire stadium was about to stand to give them a standing ovation, and I stood up, I saw her hand slowly reach for my back to tell me to sit back down again, before she saw the entire stadium standing up like me. This of course changed her mind.

Now I can understand this situation if the person behind me was physically disabled, but the lady behind was healthy and very able. The only other time where I might have seen my behavior disputable was Santa Clara's company front, since I was up cheering about 2 seconds before everyone sat up too. I may be wrong though. My question is: can one stand up and cheer too much in a show so that you are disrupting others?

Either she had a kid in another corps, or she's simply a fuddy duddy. Either way, after the second poke in the back, her and I would have had a little discussion.

... and I stood up, I saw her hand slowly reach for my back to tell me to sit back down again...

Huh? Who is this self-involved control freak who thinks she has the right to pull you back into your seat? Did she also tell you what to drink and when to pee?

I'm the first one to notice boorish and stupid behavior in crowds. And I likely agree with Miss Stalin behind you that some people are ... keeping this civil ... too quick to rise for a move/moment that was only good, not great. Still, that's no excuse for dictating your behavior DURING THE SHOW. If it's really an issue, it's something to discuss kindly between shows.

I, for instance, asked the guy next to me to put the sunflower seeds away after a while. It wasn't just the digging in the pack, but spitting out the shells, then brushing the shells away, etc. - it was a real nuisance. I asked nicely. He understood, and that was that. I wonder what your Miss Hitler would have done about the sunflower seeds? Bite his ear?

HH

Thing is, you were standing where you weren't supposed to stand. The fact that you had a "good spot" isn't relevant. The fact that you were there was license for others to do the same, causing the very inconvience from which you want to excuse yourself.

HH

During Crown, at the end of Puck, which was hot by the way, I saw some people beside me standing up to applaud a bit before they started Sensemaya. I was about to do the same, when the lady behind me, politely but firmly told me to sit down.

Yeah...anyone who didn't stand at the end of "Puck" finals night doesn't know enough about drum corps to tell you how to behave at a show.