On a positive note....

THERE IT IS IN A NUTSHELL..................

Craig wrote:...............

"Daniel also mentions in one of his Vlogs how young the corps was and if I heard him right that there were only 25 vets in the hornline. If that was the case the staff and those vets did a great job of teaching 55 rookies what it takes and how to be a regiment hornline. "

THAT in itself is an AWESOME achievement & much to the credit of JD Shaw and staff, and also, the willingness ahd hard work put forth by the Regiment members themselves in lieu of this! THAT IS what the judges simly decided NOT to take into account....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This leads me to another thought just as I send for the previous post..................

What other corps, if ANY - with the size of the hornlines in the past 3 years.... have actually, IF TRUE, had that many rookies, or, at best new to the Regiment hornline teachings ? 55 seems like a HUGE # of lesser experienced players compared to those they were competing against. I had heard this early on in the season and never bothered to clarify - figuring someone else would! If I recall, PR field 72+ horns this year and if you take the #'s from PR's VLog -- that's 80 horns.........

Has ANY other corps won a world championship, lost so many vets and, still fielded an amazing hornline like they (Regiment) did and placed in the top 5 in horns? Who? My god, the more I think on this the more amazing and difficukt this seems! I think, and it's speculation ONLY...... that the judges early on in the season, took that approach "They are young, they won't amass that typical Phantom power with all the vets gone...." and scvored them accordingly, whereas the season progressed, so did the members playing of a great horn book - and if you think about it, how could the judges give commendable scores jumping 1-2 points probably from ATL to finals and say it was justified? All the other corps would have a fit, just like they did with the adverse that we DID see in the placements

Think about it.... World Champs 1 year, 2009 sees 55 lesser skilled (not lesser talented - less in the sense of the Regiment training technique) brass platers and they field a line like that... place 9th ?? THINK ABOUT IT!

Oh I wish I could be 19 again and get THAT TYPE of experience! AND - be a part of that Regiment hornline! :thumbup:

THERE IT IS IN A NUTSHELL..................

Craig wrote:...............

"Daniel also mentions in one of his Vlogs how young the corps was and if I heard him right that there were only 25 vets in the hornline. If that was the case the staff and those vets did a great job of teaching 55 rookies what it takes and how to be a regiment hornline. "

THAT in itself is an AWESOME achievement & much to the credit of JD Shaw and staff, and also, the willingness ahd hard work put forth by the Regiment members themselves in lieu of this! THAT IS what the judges simly decided NOT to take into account....

I do find it surprising that after winning the DCI Championship in such dramatic fashion last year and being the toast of the Drum Corps world for that stunning achievement, that the Corps rookie base was at this talent level. Actually, in my opinion, it was not the members or the staff techs that resulted in their unexpected lower placement and scores this year, but the design team ( and guard ) that was most responsible for this surprising result after last years Title winning season.

I do find it surprising that after winning the DCI Championship in such dramatic fashion last year and being the toast of the Drum Corps world for that stunning achievement, that the Corps rookie base was at this talent level. Actually, in my opinion, it was not the members or the staff techs that resulted in their unexpected lower placement and scores this year, but the design team ( and guard ) that was most responsible for this surprising result after last years Title winning season.

I don't know stats but I believe they had a large number of age outs last year. Gregg Newell said in one thread that some were not able to return because of the economy and family money matters. Plus they added 8 members to the horn line; 72-80.

I wany Jamet Thompson & Adam Sage back.... please, please Regiment BOD -- give the marching members who PAY To be their the instructors worthy of THEIR talent and skill. 2008 was AWESOME... 2009 was disheartening in the sense that the design element needed to match the music just wasn't there. Perhaps 2010....

Jamey yes.

Adam I'm not so sure about.

Giving Phantom some love!!! :thumbup::devil:

This year I have read many posts about the Phantom Regiment that were not the most positive along with being bashed for some of their challenges this season. Despite, all of what I have read, I had the opportunity to see Phantom Regiment (many times) as their show evolved over this short competitive season. Most recently at the DCI Championships in Indianapolis. Yes- you performed well as the crowd responded favorably each evening.

To the young adults of the Phantom Regiment, THANK YOU very much for a great season!! With some of the challenges you faced, they were handled professionally on the field as you performed as a championship corps should. Indeed- your hard work and tirelses work ethic paid off. Please be proud of your accomplishments as you reflect and transition into 2010.

Yes- I have been a fan for many years and will continue to be. :devil::w00t:

Irregardless of what place it is, you will always be one of my favorite corps.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS on a great season! Rock on Phantom!!

Saw Phantom Regiment At Giants Stadium Aug 2. Thought they really "brought it" that night. They got a great standing ovation.

Honestly, they must have improved drastically from Atlanta, because I thought their brass sound was a lot more immature compared to the last couple of years. The intonation was actually pretty bad at a lot of points.

Overall I just never got into the show. I appreciate what the members did for sure (trust me, I know what it's like to face negative responses from the crowd and reviews). Here's hoping for a better show design for '10! :cool:

Please respect the initial post as we are mentioning the positives of Phantom Regiment this season. If you would like to start another post with this stuff, feel free to do so. :tongue:

Please respect the initial post as we are mentioning the positives of Phantom Regiment this season. If you would like to start another post with this stuff, feel free to do so. :cool:

Like I said in my original post, I appreciate what the members of Phantom did.

Edited by Drumcorpsfan471