Did 2008 affect 2009?

I was just pondering this question and was wondering what others had to say. If the Blue Devils would have won the championship last year instead of Phantom and all of the corps this year gave the exact same finals performances would the results still have been the same?

Edited by amusicman

Good lord...how many stupid threads are we going to have trying to tear down the Blue Devils in roundabout ways? I'm sorry that they beat X corps that you would have preferred to win, but they did...and convincingly. Deal with it and move on.

Good lord...how many posts are you going to make trying to defend _________ in roundabout ways? Deal with it and move on.

I was just pondering this question and was wondering what others had to say. If the Blue Devils would have won the championship last year instead of Phantom and all of the corps this year gave the exact same finals performances would the results still have been the same?

BD always comes out to win....that's a given.

But losing by such a close margin DOES kinda fire up the troops for the following year. 82 and 84 were the same way, according to vets who marched 81-84. In 82 they were VERY successful with it...in 84 we came as close as we could at the time.

I think losing in 08 was a FACTOR, but BD probably would've won this year anyway.

Good lord...how many posts are you going to make trying to defend _________ in roundabout ways? Deal with it and move on.

Hmm, I guess as many as I have to. From your posts I know that you hate BD, but I don't understand how people can come on here and tear down an obviously talented corps that performed a show at an obvious high level of proficiency. If you don't like the show or the corps, more power to you. That doesn't mean that they suck, or that they got a gift from the judges because of something that happened last year, it just means that you have different tastes than other people. I will point out the haters at every turn, so if you don't want to see me pop up then stop posting 10000 different threads with slightly differently worded hate threads.

It was clear at the SCV Family Day that both BD corps were ######, focused and determined... I'd say, yeah, what happened in 2008 drove them more than usual in 2009... there was no doubt in my mind when I saw them in June that they were NOT going to let anyone by them THIS year. (but if you're talking about judging, no I don't think so)

I don't doubt that BD losing by such a slender margin in '08 helped fuel them in '09, but don't stop there. What if SCV had won in '88? Would they have brought back Phantom of the Opera for a second year in '89? What if there had been a tiebreaker in '96, '99 and '00? What if Hoppy had come to his senses (by choice or by force) and shut down the narration in '07?

These what-if scenarios are fun and all, but ultimately pointless. The season is over. The better corps won. Time to let the dust settle and start looking forward to 2010.

Yes, 2008 effected 2009. The Titleist Corps show invariably effects other Corps.

For example, prior to last year, no Corps had a DM effected on the podium while directing. Phantom in 2008 had their DM replaced up on the podium in a creative and innovative way. As a result, here in 2009 other Corps copied that. Carolina Crown put a guard member during a portion of their show up on the DM podium. The Bluecoats put guard members up on the podium with the DM during a portion of their show as well. Not sure how many others might have put other section members up on the DM's podium during a portion of their show this year.

In 2010, we can expect Corps to rethink their visuals and to utilize aspects of the visuals used by the Blue Devils here in 2009 that led to a title. The Titleist Corps always has some effect on the future designs of show with the other Corps below.

As far as placement " sympathy" is concerned, there is no " sympathy " caption on the judging sheets regarding previous placements. And if we think the judging is rigged going in with a " sympathy " caption, then why stay for the scores and then complain with the placements later ?

Edited by BRASSO